: Maybe jumping on the classic Cadillac bandwagon? (again)

Night Wolf
08-13-07, 07:43 AM
Well, I got a gallon of milk today ($4.49!) and picked up the local classified thing.... I am looking for tired for the Isuzu, and hoping someone is selling some...

So, of course I can't stop myself from looking at the cars... and...

well, I saw it.... nothing crazy but, it caught my attention.

1977 Cadillac Sedan DeVille $500.

I called up, talked to an older guy who said his daughter drove it, after I got off the phone, she called me back to tell me a bit more.

She used it as a daily driver, but its been sitting since last November in thier yard cause gas was expensive and she has a smaller car.

What caught my attention was the color.... black roof, black car, red interior.... not so keen on the red (triple black would be sweet) but if its red like my '79 was, then that would be cool, and.... black is just sweet.

She said it runs and drives, but the AC dosn't work, it needs a new battery and has a flat tire from sitting.

So I am gonna go and take a look at this thing, its about 30mins away...

First thought was, it's got everything I need to but a big block Caddy in the '89 Fleetwood....

...but then, I dunno... if its been a Southern car most its life, and the underbody is clean and there is no rust... then... well... I just don't know.... I know for sure I am not going to have a '77 and an '89 sitting around tho....

So I figured I'll look at it... she said it needs some work here and there... I wasn't going to start nit picking over the phone about a $500 car I haven't seen, so I just want to check it out, they said just call ahead.

Among all the misc spare '79 parts I've got laying around, I have a good compressor with new seals, a rebuilt factory Qudra-jet and a modified '68 472 intake manifold... just sitting here.... waiting for another car to go on.... black is sweet....

I dunno... whats the flip level of a '77 DeVille anyway?

Lord Cadillac
08-13-07, 08:30 AM
You'll be taking pictures, right?

jayoldschool
08-13-07, 09:34 AM
I would have loved to find a Black/Black/Red car. That is one of my favourite combos...

Just buy it! Less than one payment on a new car:thumbsup:

DopeStar 156
08-13-07, 11:34 AM
Yeah if it's in good shape, you can't go wrong here......

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-13-07, 11:55 AM
Go for it. Black/Black/Red is nice.

Benzilla
08-13-07, 12:10 PM
Rick, what's with all these sedans? I mean yes, black on red is sweet, but even sweeter with 2 doors. Ahh whatever, it's all good.

As much as I'd love to see you behind another big block, it seems like your plate is full now that you have your Mom's '89. And what if a bronze '93 coupe shows up tomorrow for a great price? Just too risky, man. But don't let me tell you what to do, you know your situation better than anyone else.

CaddyshackCadillac
08-13-07, 01:30 PM
i gotta say i love caddies and all but theres something about a coupe pre85 era that gets me going.....plus that ole goodfellaz saying.........Come here. I want to show
you something, Jimmy.

Isn't she gorgeous? I bought it for my
wife. It's a coupe. I love that car.

Red_October_7000
08-13-07, 04:42 PM
Go for it!
The 70s cars are my favorites! Nice color combo!

Night Wolf
08-13-07, 06:42 PM
I didn't get to look at it today, woke up late... maybe tomorrow.

I dunno, I really don't need another car, and I don't want another car sitting around my property.... I just wanted to look at it because if for whatever reason it really wow'ed me or something, then I'll see.

I know.. alot of 4 doors eh? Its just what I saw in the paper... funny thing, I looked on ebay for 1977 DeVille, and all the ones for sale are Coupes.... and I looked under completed items, and all the ones for sale were Coupes too.

But, even if I bought it for parts to do an engine swap, I don't plan on doing that anytime soon, and I woudln't want it just sitting around until that happens either.

I guess I can snag some pictures :)

I am mostly going to be looking at the underbody/rust, and paint condition and stuff.... But, should be cool to atleast see another one of these things.

z06bigbird
08-13-07, 10:49 PM
If it is not rusted out, and if it runs, keep this in mind:

more $$ for

heater hoses
radiator hoses
fan belts
brake shoes
wheel cylinders
fuel pump
water pump
air filter
fuel filter
oil & filter
radiator repairs
starter brushes (labor)
alternator (likely replace)
tires
fender corner (rubber) pieces, likely shot--expensive
unexpected surprises
interior repairs
eventual paint

Add up these items. $5000?????? And you will have another old car that looks pretty, but 100,000+ miles on it. Find a low mileage 90ish Fleecewood. Better yet, a clean low mileage 96. 90 parts are cheaper.

Good luck.

eldorado99
08-14-07, 12:07 AM
Well if you think you can pull it off it would be pretty awesome, I bet you'd find a re-kindled love for the 425.

77CDV
08-14-07, 12:20 AM
If you can get it cheap and nothing major needs fixing, and most of what the car needs is in your '79 bag o' tricks, why not? Even if you spent a K fixing the car up, if you got it cosmetically nice and running well, you could probably sell it for at least 2K easy. Not a bad profit, and you could plow that back into the work on the '89. Happy hunting!

Night Wolf
08-14-07, 06:45 AM
Yeah, I'm still not sure.

I figured I'll go look at it later today... I really don't want another car around here... I guess the best thing for me to do is just stop looking for these things, cause its like a magnet.

Especially already having the '89... its just redundent... so I still don't know.

BRICKS
08-14-07, 04:42 PM
for 500 worth the pick up as long as it isnt falling apart with rust. worst comes to worst buy it and sell the parts, youll easily make over 500. and if you have parts laying around, like you said, then getting it going wouldnt be a problem. depends on what you want to do once you find out the condtion.

96Fleetwood
08-14-07, 05:21 PM
Sounds like it is a better candidate than the '89. It is probably more desirable too in the long run.

If it is nice, get rid of the '89 and keep this '77! Problem solved.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-14-07, 05:24 PM
If it is nice, get rid of the '89 and keep this '77! Problem solved.

Bingo!

Benzilla
08-14-07, 05:43 PM
But the '89 is just cool... so much character, and a better looking sedan. Just.. no. Don't do it.

96Fleetwood
08-14-07, 06:07 PM
But the '89 is just cool... so much character, and a better looking sedan. Just.. no. Don't do it.

The '89 also has rust.. these cars don't do well with rust. If thte '77 is rust free, by all means go for it. The '89 won't be a collectors item anytime soon.

Benzilla
08-14-07, 06:15 PM
Well yes, it has the rust... But I still like it more, it's just a more striking car, I've never seen another one like it. We all know what some black '77 sedan looks like.

96Fleetwood
08-14-07, 06:24 PM
I had a similar '89 for 2 months, good car but not as appealing as my cousins '92 parked beside it.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/160-6015_IMG.jpg

Now a clean '77 is just plain badass, especially in black:

http://www.rrrclc.org/images2/77_Coppa%20(5).JPG

Night Wolf
08-14-07, 06:31 PM
Well, I didn't get a chance to go look at it today... man I've just been feeling really tired and lazy and I slept later then I wanted to.

I really don't think I could bring myself to let the '89 go... the rust on it really isn't that bad, which is why I still have it.... that was the first thing I checked before I did anything with it... underbody isn't really bad, and body for the most part is rust free, just a couple places here and there, like inside the trunk lid etc.. that I'll get cleaned up.... rear bumper needs to be replaced, but that isn't too big of a deal.

If I was to get the '77, but it was in nice enough shape to keep around... well, then one of them has to go... and I really don't think I could part with the '89.

I dunno, I think I am gonna pass... at first the idea of a car to tinker with was neat, but... I already have 3.... with the Town Car needing just a couple more things to be all fixed again (so far seems like A-arm bushings :( ) Once that is done then I have some things on the Isuzu I want to do (mostly paint some various things on it) then.... well... the entire '89 Fleetwood....

I dunno when I'll get a chance to go check out the '77, MAYBE tomorrow if I get up early enough, but tomorrow is the day I go to work much eariler.... I still want to see the condition of the car overall, I wonder if its a d'Elegance? and I'd like to know what kind of red interior it has... the dark red like my '79 did, which I liked alot actually, or the brighter blood red interior which I am not that fond of.....

BRICKS
08-14-07, 07:04 PM
i dont preffer the look of sedans but that black 77 is sick!

ben clean ya inbox if would please.

77CDV
08-14-07, 10:35 PM
Although that black 77 looks very sharp, I still have to say that black never flattered the lines of the 77-79 C-cars. 76 and back and 80+, black looks really good. 77-79, it just looks....flat....is the only way to describe it. I think it has to do with the less formal, unsculpted bodywork on the 77-79. there's no geometry for the black to play off.

Rick, sounds to me like you already have a baby (of the automotive variety) near and dear to your heart, and I don't see you really into this new project. Give the car a pass, especially as the only two red interiors in 77 were that bright cherry red (ick) and claret, a deep dark red. I sincerely doubt you'd like either.

Night Wolf
08-15-07, 06:53 AM
Well, I am not going to be able to look at it today, so soonest would be Sunday... if its still there...

77CDV.... I know what you mean.... the '77-'79 are definitly unique as its alot of the little things that seperate them from the '80s style....

Initially I was thinking it would be great parts car for the BB Cad swap in the '89.... but honestly, that is so far off... besides me being busy with a bunch of other things besides cars, then already having 3 cars, and the Caddy is last on the list to get worked on, simply cause I rely on the Isuzu every day, and the Town Car to a lesser extent, but still for my roadtrips to FL.... that there is alot of work I want to do on that car, an engine swap is way off.

I've already decided, that atleast with a 1989 Cadillac Brougham, and mine in particular, the car is more stunning when it looks nice, instead of going fast... so... the 307 runs fine, actually burns no oil or anything, has a rebuilt transmission... so as far as the drivetrain, its solid... I want to get it looking good again first.

Like I said, I've got no time right now, Sunday will be the soonest, if its still there, then I'll check it out and report back :)

Night Wolf
08-15-07, 06:57 AM
I had a similar '89 for 2 months, good car but not as appealing as my cousins '92 parked beside it.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/160-6015_IMG.jpg

Now a clean '77 is just plain badass, especially in black:

http://www.rrrclc.org/images2/77_Coppa%20(5).JPG

I like my '89 quite alot... but its got alot of extras on it that make me really like it.

That '77 does look nice... I still prefer the grille, tailights and steering wheel of the '79 tho... but if that local '77 looks anything like that, I'd have to go for it.... If it needs paint and body work, and IF I did get it, it would be parts, as I don't like paint and body work as it is... and if any car is gonna get a paint job, its gonna be my '89....

bicentennialcadillac
08-15-07, 09:57 PM
The '77 is superior in every aspect. I understand that you're sentimentally attached to the '89, however.

Night Wolf
08-16-07, 03:12 AM
The '77 is superior in every aspect. I understand that you're sentimentally attached to the '89, however.

I dunno about that...

But, keep in mind I had a '79 Sedan DeVille d'Elegance for 2 1/2 years.... whish is pretty much the same car... I know what the car has to offer.

The whole time I had the '79, I wanted an '89 becuase I liked the styling ablot better.... but now that I have the '89, there are things on the '79 I miss.

The biggest thing the '77 has over the '89 is, IMO, the drivetrain, but the 425 isn't a race car just as much as the 307 isn't.... stock for stock, they aren't THAT far off... tho my 425 was slightly modded, and I had an even longer list of plans.... but the 307 is alot better on gas, overdrive helps...

Anyway, I am gonna be out of town so we'll see if its around when I get back...