: Lose Ride with big Rims?

jvizzy22
08-13-07, 08:41 AM
Hey I just bought an 05 and i was wondering if anyone knows the difference in ride comfort when you put on 19in, 20in, etc rims. I would love to put some nice rims on it but i do not want to screw up the really smooth ride of a Cadillac. Thanks

Aurora5000
08-13-07, 09:15 AM
The bigger the rim, the worse the ride.

:)

Lord Cadillac
08-13-07, 09:31 AM
Yeah, the larger the rim, the lower the profile on the tire. Sometimes it's not that big of a deal - but the bigger you go, the more you'll notice it...

jvizzy22
08-13-07, 12:12 PM
yea i realize the bigger the rim the worse the ride, but i guess what i was wondering was if anyone has experienced it and has any recommendations, my first thought was to not exceed the stock size, then some people said as long as you have a good sidewall then the cushion will stay, is this true? and if so if i put new rims but keep them 18in (stock) with the same tire numbers will the ride stay the same? Thanks everyone

z06bigbird
08-13-07, 03:34 PM
There is a trade off--If you install lower profile tires, you now get a greater chance of blowing out the tires and bending the rims. What else are you going to do with your $$?

malcolm
08-13-07, 06:03 PM
The car's ride ain't that hot with stock rims. Once upon a time Cadillac meant ride quality. Now it's a me too European sports sedan. Shame

Number 3
08-18-07, 05:53 PM
I have 20s on my 05 and the ride is a lot worse, but because the caddy was so smooth anyway. It is still better than a lot of other rides. In my opinion, its worth it.

dkozloski
08-18-07, 06:04 PM
The ride in my '06 AWD V8 is too stiff in the "sport" setting but the "touring" setting is great especially over uneven roads.

Superjim
08-18-07, 09:04 PM
yea i realize the bigger the rim the worse the ride, but i guess what i was wondering was if anyone has experienced it and has any recommendations, my first thought was to not exceed the stock size, then some people said as long as you have a good sidewall then the cushion will stay, is this true? and if so if i put new rims but keep them 18in (stock) with the same tire numbers will the ride stay the same? Thanks everyone

In the scenario as listed above .... YES your ride will stay the same.

Jim

jvizzy22
08-18-07, 09:37 PM
nice, thanks everyone for the feedback

z06bigbird
08-18-07, 10:09 PM
You would get most comfort out of 20" rims and 75 series tires. Problem is nobody makes them--probably.