: how to distinquish magnetic ride control vehicles

shanekennedy
08-13-07, 08:11 AM
looking for a used srx
magnetic ride control is never a listed feature
when i ask salemen about it, they don't know what it is
vehicle i'm look @ now is not local, so i can't easily view it
is there a vin character or maybe a control knob in the vehicle the salesman can look for?

thanks

Lord Cadillac
08-13-07, 09:32 AM
Are you looking at a Cadillac dealership? Or not? If you Are, than don't leave until somebody tells you whether or not it's got Magnetic Ride Control. They HAVE to know...

shanekennedy
08-13-07, 09:36 AM
currently looking @ carmax

they're not overly familiar w/ caddy details

onewhippedpuppy
08-13-07, 11:54 AM
You'd be amazed how many used car dealers don't know what options a car has. I looked at a V8 SRX that was advertised as RWD, running the VIN revealed that it was AWD! Morons. If you have a decent local Cadillac dealer, call the service dept and ask them to run the VIN for you. Mine ran 5 or 6 for me before I made a purchase. I think any GM dealer can do it for you.

terryk
08-13-07, 12:23 PM
Open the hood and look for wires going to the front shocks.

CadillacSTS42005
08-13-07, 12:47 PM
if it uses the same RPO option code as the fwd STS (1st Cadillac to have mag ride) your lookin for F55 RPO

MortnCyn
08-13-07, 03:28 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/86923-options-07-srx.html Assuming the option numbers remain the same. The RPO numbers are on a label/sticker under the spare tire cover.

FarEast
08-13-07, 03:38 PM
if it uses the same RPO option code as the fwd STS (1st Cadillac to have mag ride) your lookin for F55 RPO

Looking up RPO code would be for sure the best way to find out whether certain feature installed on a car or not. RPO codes are located on the back side of a headrest storage compartment cover.

Mplsspyder
08-13-07, 05:55 PM
get the VIN number and have someone run it to see the build codes on it is the quickest way I know without being there.

73Thumper
08-13-07, 10:42 PM
My understanding - since the mag ride control can't control a fixed ride height - the rear coils are replaced with rear air bags. The rear springs - or bags should be very easy to see, just in front and inside of the rear wheels. I also think if you turn the key to on (not start) you should see a indicator lamp for MRC. If it has metal/coil springs it does not have MRC, if it has bags - it does have MRC. Anyone out there with MRC should be able to confirm - or deny this... When I bought my 07 I could not get MRC as it has the sport option -and the information as understood it was MRC has a air compressor and rear air springs vs rear coil springs....

ckrichards
08-14-07, 02:30 PM
My 04 w/MRC does not have airbags, just the standard springs. You can see the wires going to the shocks, and you can also see the sensor attached to the lower arm close to the shock.

I am not sure about the air being used in addition to the magnets used in the shocks. I do know if I'm still in the garage a couple of minutes after parking the car I can hear the air whistling out of the car(very faintly).

vdo
08-14-07, 03:12 PM
You are correct. MRC equipped SRX's uses the same rear springs as the models without it. Only the shocks are different. The air compressor and air bag system is independent of the MRC, and is used for load leveling.

73Thumper
08-15-07, 12:13 AM
my bad, but load leveling is accomplished on non mrc, by special - non air shocks. (at least that is true on 07's like mine) guess I am not sure how it is done with MRC (load leveling)