: Sirius in an '04 with Navigation but not XM

tomduder
08-12-07, 08:29 AM
My wife has told me I am obsessed with getting satellite in "her" car, so this will be my last post on this subject. I have all but given up getting XM installed to work through the Nav system. From what I have read on here and other places on the web, it would appear that I can get Sirius installed and have it work through the nav system. Just wanted to know if I am correct in my assumption that I can get Sirius installed in an SRX that has the Bose with Navigation, but no factory XM installed and have it work through the Nav head unit.

Thanks,

Tom

Tee
08-14-07, 11:00 PM
My wife has told me I am obsessed with getting satellite in "her" car, so this will be my last post on this subject. I have all but given up getting XM installed to work through the Nav system. From what I have read on here and other places on the web, it would appear that I can get Sirius installed and have it work through the nav system. Just wanted to know if I am correct in my assumption that I can get Sirius installed in an SRX that has the Bose with Navigation, but no factory XM installed and have it work through the Nav head unit.

Thanks,

Tom

+++1

tomduder
08-17-07, 07:34 AM
Is that a yes?

Yaemish
08-17-07, 08:59 PM
I've been trying to get this information since June. I am in the same boat as you. From all the searches that I have done, it is possible but you have to add pins behind the radio in order to use the stock cabling. I wish I could be of help, but I don't know what needs to be done. If you are in South Florida, go see DanDan.

XTSman
08-20-07, 10:52 AM
It definitely can be done... I did it. complete upgrade from non-bose, non-nav radio, no xm to bose, nav radio and oem xm. check my other posts on the subject.....

Since my upgrade, I believe I saw ewill or someone say the xm modules are now off parts restriction, so you might check with your dealer or GM Parts Direct for ordering....

Let's see if I can remember in general.... there is a splice pack in the right rear quarter panel (white 20 something pin bus type connector wrapped in black tape that takes specific Yazaki terminals. You'll find brown (audio), green (audio), white (audio-ground) purple(lan) grouped by color for bus terminal connection. Your connector for the oem XM connector which you can order from GM or Parts Direct would have these connections coming from the splice pack, so you'll have to make them yourself. The nav radio may already be wired for them if for example you also have the rear dvd player. you'll only need to splice into the splice pack. If you don't have the dvd you'll have to check the pinout and circuit to see if the wiring is already in place all the way back to the splice pack. Also, power and ground come from another source. I chose to run it all the ways back to the OEM source which is the left rear fuse box below the second row seats. You could I think simply choose another power (accessory or hot all the time) and ground source as long as it doesn't introduce any ground-loop hum into the system.

I'm still looking for my notes and a way to scan them in.... hopes that helps... let me know how far you have gotten..

IF you read my posts on the subject, what I have learned is most often if it didn't come from the factory equipped with the options you want very likely the pre-wiring is not there... and you have to do it yourself.

conedoctor
10-02-07, 05:01 PM
Just to make sure I get this right, I have an 04 on the way with NAV, RSE, Bose no XM.

Since I have RSE I just need to tap the 3 audio wires and the Class II and Im good right?

If this is the case can I not just use the T harness from the kit and do it behind the radio?

Thanks Matt

XTSman
10-02-07, 06:19 PM
Yes you could, but there is not a lot of room back there behind the nav unit. There is also a bare drain wire that should be connected, but that drain wire is also behind the nav unit wrapped in black tape.

You'll just have to know the circuits and the pinouts for the connectors. You are looking for left and right low level audio wires, not speaker output wires. If I recall it's the Green/w/white stripe(common), tan/w/white stripe(left), brown/w/white stripe (right). And the lan class 2 wire is purple, there are actually two class 2 wires but three purple wires....be careful, the third purple wire that is not class 2 wire, but something else. Let me review my notes tonight and I will let you know.

As a reminder, the nav unit will also have to be told to activate the XM bands by a tech 2 scanner. If you make successful connections and the xm band does not automatically show up, you'll need a GM tech II scanner to activate the DRR (digital radio receiver).

conedoctor
10-02-07, 06:31 PM
Sweet, this is good.

I was sort of in the same boat as you with converstions, the LUX/NAV upgrade in the trucks is lots of wiring but this will only be like 4 wires :)

Thanks Matt

Yaemish
10-02-07, 06:46 PM
Just to make sure I get this right, I have an 04 on the way with NAV, RSE, Bose no XM.

Since I have RSE I just need to tap the 3 audio wires and the Class II and Im good right?

If this is the case can I not just use the T harness from the kit and do it behind the radio?

Thanks Matt

I just had a lot of help doing it, so in retrospect I think I could do it again in an hour. Its a little difficult, but I took plenty of pictures and had a lot of coaching from another member in the fourm. But yes, if you have the NAV and the rear-seat entertainment system you will be able to add the Sirius or XM without having to add the extra pin behind the radio. You will be connecting, right, left, audio-common, data, power, and ground. I didn't even have to have the GM Tech turn it on. My NAV unit found the Sirius GM-SIR1 unit as soon as there was power.

tomduder
12-12-07, 11:51 AM
Yaemish, can you send me more documentation on how you installed the SRX? I am contemplating doing it and I wish I didn't have to get behind the nav to do it (would love to have someone else do it). My email is tomduder@verizon.net. Thanks!

ucyiwork
12-24-07, 06:13 AM
Here here! I am interested in adding sirus to my 04 with nav. No RSE though. Help me please. ucyiwork@cox.net if you can help me out on this.

Shart
12-13-08, 09:12 PM
It definitely can be done... I did it. complete upgrade from non-bose, non-nav radio, no xm to bose, nav radio and oem xm. check my other posts on the subject.....

Since my upgrade, I believe I saw ewill or someone say the xm modules are now off parts restriction, so you might check with your dealer or GM Parts Direct for ordering....

Let's see if I can remember in general.... there is a splice pack in the right rear quarter panel (white 20 something pin bus type connector wrapped in black tape that takes specific Yazaki terminals. You'll find brown (audio), green (audio), white (audio-ground) purple(lan) grouped by color for bus terminal connection. Your connector for the oem XM connector which you can order from GM or Parts Direct would have these connections coming from the splice pack, so you'll have to make them yourself. The nav radio may already be wired for them if for example you also have the rear dvd player. you'll only need to splice into the splice pack. If you don't have the dvd you'll have to check the pinout and circuit to see if the wiring is already in place all the way back to the splice pack. Also, power and ground come from another source. I chose to run it all the ways back to the OEM source which is the left rear fuse box below the second row seats. You could I think simply choose another power (accessory or hot all the time) and ground source as long as it doesn't introduce any ground-loop hum into the system.

I'm still looking for my notes and a way to scan them in.... hopes that helps... let me know how far you have gotten..

IF you read my posts on the subject, what I have learned is most often if it didn't come from the factory equipped with the options you want very likely the pre-wiring is not there... and you have to do it yourself.

Can anyone give me any information about this white connector that is taped up? I've got an 05 SRX, bose, no nav, no xm. I see this connector. I've got a SIR-GM1 that I'm trying to install back there but I think it's assuming you already have XM back there, which I don't.

Can you purchase just the cable or do you have to purchase the XM receiver as well? I'm not afraid to splice if someone can direct me to what wire goes where on the SIR-GM1.

I tried to PM SRXMan but I don't have enough time/posts built...

Thanks a bunch.

Shart
12-20-08, 10:04 AM
Finally had some free time and went ahead and removed the rear quarter panels to see about that white, taped up connector. If the wire colors matched up to what I've read for sirius/xm hook-up I was going to give splicing a go. Turns out there are about 8-9 wires running to this white connector and all of them are PURPLE!!!!

WTF? Has anyone seen this? Will the Factory XM module even plug into this? I'm to the point where I'm ready to have XM factory installed just so I can pull it out and plug this SIR-GM1 in.

Anyone with any idea, help would be appreciated. TIA.

MortnCyn
12-20-08, 12:51 PM
Shart: Try your local library for automotive data bases. I show wiring diagrams but the sound system diagrams for the base system or base without cd player would not come up. Do not know why but possibly yours will work OK. Feel sure the '04 and possibly the '05 wiring is different than later model years.

Shart
12-20-08, 01:37 PM
Shart: Try your local library for automotive data bases. I show wiring diagrams but the sound system diagrams for the base system or base without cd player would not come up. Do not know why but possibly yours will work OK. Feel sure the '04 and possibly the '05 wiring is different than later model years.
Thanks MortnCyn, I'll give that a look. I've got a CD player, got the bose, but I don't have NAV which has the 3 connectors into the HU vs the NAV which I believe has just one. The SIR-GM1 is configured to work on a HU with NAV.

If I can just find the Audio's and Data to splice my connector into like what Yaemish did, I'm ready to splice it in...

Thanks again.

Shart
12-22-08, 01:07 PM
Well, while frustrating and fruitless, this has been an interesting journey. I talked to the dealer and he tells me that despite what my owner's manual says, my radio is not capable of XM. He looked the car up with the VIN as I was ready to just have them install the XM module for me and then consider if I wanted to swap in a Sirius module or just go with XM and "the best of Sirius".

It turns out that factory HU wouldn't support XM all along... :thepan:

FM modulation here I come!!! :histeric: