: 02 deville spark plug replacement

townclown
08-11-07, 11:46 PM
Tried searching through the site for this and couldn't find it. Is there a thread out there that gives instructions on changing out plugs in an 02 deville? I popped the cover off the front bank today and could see them sitting down in the rubber tubes, but didn't want to do any damage so thought better of going any farther. Do those rubber tubes come out, do I have to pull the valve cover to get at them? Any tricks to this?

Ranger
08-12-07, 09:34 AM
Cam cover stays in place. The boots come out. You were almost there.

townclown
08-12-07, 08:39 PM
So I just yank the boot with a pair of pliers and that's it? No danger of ripping those boots apart or anything? Give them a twist or something as I yank them?

Ranger
08-12-07, 08:56 PM
I have yet to have to do plugs on a COP ignition, but I would treat them just like a spark plug wire boot and give them a twist.

townclown
08-12-07, 09:10 PM
I'll let you know next weekend what happened...

codewize
08-12-07, 09:40 PM
I don't know if it's necessary or not but the service manual says to use a spark plug boot puller to get those off.

townclown
08-12-07, 10:29 PM
Hmm, they're kind of hollow mushroomed shaped... I'm not sure I have the clearance to get the boot puller by the top and down onto the stem. I'll give that the first shot tho.

codewize
08-13-07, 09:24 AM
Maybe it's a special one? I don't know.

Hmm, they're kind of hollow mushroomed shaped... I'm not sure I have the clearance to get the boot puller by the top and down onto the stem. I'll give that the first shot tho.