: Hello from Jacksonville, a real life snuff film.

Playdrv4me
08-11-07, 07:09 PM
Ok, so its not that far from tampa... but man this town only manages to scare me more everytime i come here. I came on Amtrak (terrific again btw) to pick up a range rover (review forthcoming) and got here after the dealership closed so i found the most reasonble hotel i could in the area. The first strike was the monopolistic hotel takeover i encountered looking for a cheap but safe place to stay. Unfortunately the suburban lodges, which showed on Hotels.com as 39.00 were all converted to Intown suites which refuse to do nightly fares, only weekly 219 rates. Seems like a shitty way to do business but w/e.

So i ended up at this 49.00 infernal shithole called the King's Inn. Let me tell you, ive been scared for my life but this might come close. 49.00 gets you a full on suite in Tampa btw... ooohh no sir not here. You have to pay 5 bucks just to RENT the in room phone... or you can pay 50 cents in the lobby.Why would i WANT the in room phone you ask? Well because dominos in their own shitty corporate policy, wont take your order from anything but the roomphone. Fine, i called papa johns instead. Then, my door doesnt close right because OF COURSE, it was kicked IN at some point! I wont even get started on the unsavory guests, the a/c-less lobby,the blurry as shit TV, lack if internet access etc etc etc...

So make me feel better, post your travel horror stories!

Jonas McFeely
08-11-07, 07:21 PM
I thought this thread was about a tape you found of a dude killing a chick while having sex. Ever seen 8MM with Cage? Great movie.

Jacksonville is a scary place. I was up there awhile back. I was sitting in my car in a parking lot and was approached by a hooker. She said she knew me and then proceeded to ask if i "needed" anything. I said i was from Orlando and had never been to Jacksonville. She then asked me if i knew her sister that lived in Winter Park. Right about that time a cop rolled by and she left.

Yep, Jacksonville.

Oh and LOL at the link in your sig. Kitty is chillin!

Playdrv4me
08-11-07, 07:34 PM
LOL... on that note... I think my favorite part was the sign at the front desk that said "NO REFUNDS AFTER 15 MINUTES!!!".

The Tony Show
08-11-07, 07:45 PM
LOL... on that note... I think my favorite part was the sign at the front desk that said "NO REFUNDS AFTER 15 MINUTES!!!".

Ahahaha!

:histeric:

Rolex
08-11-07, 08:59 PM
Do they rent rooms by the hour? :wtf:

96Fleetwood
08-11-07, 09:15 PM
Wow, I have never stopped in Jacksonville, only driven by it on I-95 or the bypass.

My girl and I were considering applying for one of the 11 spots they have at the Mayo Clinic there. I guess we better go check the city out before we sign up for 4 years there....

So.. what kind of Range Rover was it? Lemme guess, 4.6 HSE?

Playdrv4me
08-11-07, 10:19 PM
still have to look it over real good for a final decisiion, but its a 03 hse.

dkozloski
08-11-07, 11:02 PM
I stayed one night in the Mush Inn Motel in Anchorage, Alaska. About midnight there was a gunfight right outside the door. Pop! Pop! Pop! Cops never showed up for that. There was continuous traffic to a unit about 200 feet farther down. The street pharmacy business must have been good. Towards morning a couple of guys with Uzi's aired out another drug dealers crib across the way and the meat wagon hauled them away. Cops showed up for that one. If all that wasn't enough when I turned on the light in the can there must have been 5000 roaches. Enough is enough so we moved on. I found a spent bullet in the parking lot where the first gunfight had been and it was one of the special aluminum projectles that were developed for the Air Marshals for use on airplanes. I guess an Air Marshall must have had a part-time job. Just another night in the big city.

Playdrv4me
08-11-07, 11:11 PM
OH..MY..GOD... and ive still got 7 hours til daylight...

dkozloski
08-11-07, 11:24 PM
Ordinarily your best strategy would be to sleep in the bath tub but nowdays they're either plastic or so thin they won't stop a bullet. By the way, did you check for bedbugs?

Red_October_7000
08-12-07, 12:53 AM
Well I've been in some pretty seedy places; the most recent one that spings to mind was a place my dad and I stayed in on some CAP business; we needed to pull radios and other equipment from a truck that was immoblie and going to be scrapped, so we had to go to it and stay overnight. The motel had a TV with a mis-converged picture tube, a bathroom with a yellow flourescent light tube and one of those awful needle showers that make you wish you were dead. It also smelled funny. Down the hall was a group of about a dozen guys in two rooms drinking like fishes and smoking cigars. I made an ice run later on and the smell had changed from cigars to something else ;) At least it had no plastic cover on the mattress, only the worst places put those on.

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 01:12 AM
IIRC Jacksonville has the highest amount of car-thefts :eek:

Keep an eye out for a Slate Bronze Metallic Coupe DeVille, 1993 of course :)

Jonas McFeely
08-12-07, 04:16 AM
IIRC Jacksonville has the highest amount of car-thefts :eek:

Keep an eye out for a Slate Bronze Metallic Coupe DeVille, 1993 of course :)

I really loved your '93. The Seville wheels were great, but some '00+ DTS Slicers would have been nuts.

Jesda
08-12-07, 04:29 AM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w91/Starkraving_album/hamster.gif

I think we can safely assume that Ian is dead; this means his things are public property. Its too bad I just bought a laptop, because I could have just taken his. Anyone want his Lexus?

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 04:39 AM
I really loved your '93. The Seville wheels were great, but some '00+ DTS Slicers would have been nuts.

The turbines that Stoney has on Gladys?

I like them alot on his car... but I dunno, on my Coupe the SLS wheels seemed to go well.

Right before it was stolen, with the new tires I had the pencil-line white wall on it... looked different, that was for sure... still it was a toss up between the look... it kinda got in the way of the clean look between the wheels and the car tho...

Sadly, when I reformatted my HDD, I saved everything to a bunch of DVD's.... all files can be read EXCEPT for all photos... everything I have is lost... I dunno, I gotta find out how to restore them cause that would be bad.

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 04:40 AM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w91/Starkraving_album/hamster.gif

I think we can safely assume that Ian is dead; this means his things are public property. Its too bad I just bought a laptop, because I could have just taken his. Anyone want his Lexus?

FINE guess I'll take it :::pouts and walks away with keys:::

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 04:41 AM

Only picture I have right now is this, which is small.. it used to be in my sig....

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/PDR_1009-2.jpg

Jonas McFeely
08-12-07, 04:46 AM
Yes, Stoneys turbine rims.Those are in my top 5 favorite OEM rims.

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 04:50 AM
:( I really miss that car... its been just over a year.. and I still think about it.. I really didn't think I would...

I dunno, when it was stolen, it's like a large chunk of my passion for cars has been stolen... as much as I've tried, I just don't connect with cars the same as it used to be... there is almost no connection to the Town Car... then again there is really no connection to the Isuzu or Fleetwood either... don't get me wrong, I like them each for what they are... but... its like the soul of my passion for cars is gone when the Coupe was stolen.... its been like that since... I've really tried to fight it, but I dunno.

Everytime I see that picture of my Coupe, its sooo fresh in my mind, like I just saw my car yesterday... but its gone, its been over a year.... thats MY car, that was my first car, and I was never going to sell it. Had I still had it now, it would already be getting a new quality paint job from the fading clear coat.... I had the car for 3yrs/40k miles.. which, now dosn't seem like much (atleast the miles, with the way I've been racking them up on the Lincoln) but I serisouly put soo much time, effort and just myself into that car, its crazy....

When it was stolen and people said its probably repainted and could be parked down the street and I'd never know... I said theres a hundred ways I know that car is mine no matter what the color.... and I still know nearly everything that made that car mine.

1 of 119... what are the chances eh? The way I stumbled by that thing was a miracle in itself...

What bothers me the most is that, when I went to NY last July for that 1 week, both Aimee's mom, and dad, who own their own homes insisted that I keep the car by them and not at my apartment.... stupid me didn't want the car to stay at either house cause I figured something could happen to it, her moms house is in a part of the neighborhood where kids ride their bikes, I was thinking a kid may fall into it with their bike and scratch it, or if it was at her dads place, they have lots of trees in their back yard and the car would be covered in leaves and stuff....

Who would have ever thought tho... I'd take my car with a scratched door or covered in leaves any day now :(

ahhh gosh....

Jonas McFeely
08-12-07, 05:03 AM
Damn Rick, that makes me sad, honestly. I dont know what id do with myself the Sage Sled was stolen or wrecked. You have horrible luck, what with the '93 and '79. Things will only get better.

Talk about a thread jack!

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 05:22 AM
I know... the '79 really ment alot to me too, but not to the extent that the Coupe did... when the '79 was wrecked, I was just thankful I decided to drive the '79 that night, and not the Coupe.... cause I was actually getting fustrated with a bunch of little quirks it had, and was actually thinking about other cars (knowing that I could never, ever sell it tho) and when the '79 was wrecked... it just made me realize how much that Coupe ment to me, and everything kinda changed from there....

Thats why I went to NY... it was my Summer break from tech school, like 11 days or something, From Febuary to July I was down to just the Coupe, I've always had 2 cars (except from September to January when I had just the Coupe in Florida) and I wanted my Oldsmobile down there as a daily driver so I could let the Coupe take a break from the constant use.

So I flew up to NY, visited with people, was there for my parents wedding... and drove my '89 Olds Delta 88 back to Florida. When I got to my apartment at 3AM after being at Aimees for a few hours, the gates were closed... first time the gates were ever closed... and I just wanted to get back... to take my Coupe out for a ride... my only gate card was.... in the Coupe. I waited a few mins and someone came along, so I followed them in.

That was it, I arrived at my apartment to see it missing, I tired to remain calm, but reported it to the police, I thought maybe the complex had it towed for whatever reason... next day was Sunday, nobody was around, so Monday they said they haven't towed a car out of there for a couple months....

That was it, nothing was heard of it... either they got around pass-keyII and drove it out of there, or they towed it away.... I dunno... no broken glass, no tire marks... no body saw or heard a thing... it just vanished.

I don't get it, the car wasn't worth anything, there were dozens of these things sitting in the junkyards not too far away.... someone either wanted that particular car, or, what I think... wanted to steal MY car for whatever reason.

windows were tinted and I had the sunshade thing in the windsheild.... you could still look in it if you went up close to the window... the ONLY thing of value, not stock that could be seen in the car, was the Alpine CDA-9807 head unit, which I left the face plate on... everything else on my sound system was hidden... and I NEVER played my music loud, especially in the apartment complex as to draw attention to myself.

It wasn't a car stereo theif, they steal radios, not entire cars. It wasn't a teenage joyrider... pass-key is too involved for them, and they usually go after 80's type cutlass or something... not to meniton they dump the car off when it runs out of gas, then the cops come by and find it. It wasn't someone looking for a fender or trunk lid for their DeVille... there were dozens (even Coupes) in the pick n pull junkyard... someone isn't gonna steal an entire car for a $15 fender. It wasn't someone looking to steal a car looking to make money... it was a 13 year old Cadillac with fadded paint, what was the book value? $3,000 tops? There was a mint 2001 BMW 328I parked right next to me every day, if someone wanted to steal a high-dollar car, they woulda stole that. The car had no gas in it either, the gauges was blinking E (really low) and was for a part of the day, I was gonna throw $20 in it but figured I'd save the money for the Olds and fill it up when I got back... it maybe had a gallon in it? and I had a locking gas cap on it too, which while not unbreakable, someone would have to sit at a gas station for a bit trying to pry the thing open to put gas in it.

I just don't get it... and I doubt I ever will.

Playdrv4me
08-12-07, 04:44 PM
omg i LIVED. I cracked my eyes open this morning and thanked allah above I was still breathing air. I am now back in the (relative) safety and comfort of my Tampanian home. Let me tell you, that was the fastest Ive ever driven that trip.

96Fleetwood
08-12-07, 06:25 PM
Nice, glad you lived! Did you come back with the HSE?

Destroyer
08-12-07, 06:58 PM
.. as much as I've tried, I just don't connect with cars the same as it used to be.....Hate to tell you this man but its probably just a sign of getting older. At your age I felt really attached to my cars, even thought I wanted to be buried in my precious Mustang, as time goes by you start appreciating them more for what they really are: machines. I still enjoy cars, I just dont get all sentimental over them.

Vesicant
08-12-07, 07:10 PM
Wow man you were just on the wrong side of Jacksonville. ANYTHING even near downtown sucks...

But then again, I dislike the whole city anyways. :eek:

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 07:18 PM
Hate to tell you this man but its probably just a sign of getting older. At your age I felt really attached to my cars, even thought I wanted to be buried in my precious Mustang, as time goes by you start appreciating them more for what they really are: machines. I still enjoy cars, I just dont get all sentimental over them.

Maybe.... makes sense....

....plus just before the Coupe was stolen from me, a lifechanging person came into my life.... she gets most of my attention :) Maybe thats why... there is just bigger and more important things in life....

JimHare
08-12-07, 07:31 PM
So make me feel better, post your travel horror stories!

I was at the Four Seasons/George V in Paris once, and one of the towels was frayed around the edges...

Playdrv4me
08-12-07, 07:33 PM
Nice, glad you lived! Did you come back with the HSE?

Yup, ill post some pics later

Playdrv4me
08-12-07, 07:38 PM
Maybe.... makes sense....

....plus just before the Coupe was stolen from me, a lifechanging person came into my life.... she gets most of my attention :) Maybe thats why... there is just bigger and more important things in life....

I agree with destroyer... i dont however know if its because ive hd so damn many, or because im maturing... but the emotional attachment has definitely lessened substantially for me in the past even just 2 years or so. Man three years ago i would have thought i died and went to heaven to own range rover or escalade... now they just put a big smile on my face, which is still good i suppose ;)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-12-07, 10:53 PM
I was at the Four Seasons/George V in Paris once, and one of the towels was frayed around the edges...

Ahahahaha! Brilliant!

dkozloski
08-12-07, 11:04 PM
Ahahahaha! Brilliant!
The last time I stayed there, there was dogshit in the hallway.

gdwriter
08-13-07, 02:24 AM
Hate to tell you this man but its probably just a sign of getting older. At your age I felt really attached to my cars, even thought I wanted to be buried in my precious Mustang, as time goes by you start appreciating them more for what they really are: machines. I still enjoy cars, I just dont get all sentimental over them.Interesting; although I'm older than both of you, I'll admit I'm still pretty attached to my cars. I'm not a materialistic person, but Betty is definitely my most prized possession (Hoover and my cat Pepper don't count). Part of that is because she's almost identical to the car I grew up with and learned to drive in. When I bought Betty, it felt as though I got a piece of my history back. I'm not so attached that I want to be buried in her (what a waste of a fine car), but in my will, Betty goes to my sister or my niece.

Besides losing my dog (Max) and the financial toll, the worst part of my divorce was having to sell my '99 Accord coupe, which now belongs to my niece (it was not a happy marriage—obviously—and I don't miss my ex in the slightest). I had planned on driving that car indefinitely because I enjoyed it so much. I had my niece take me for a drive in it when I was in North Dakota last spring, but I couldn't drive it again. It would have been too painful.

On the upside, after the divorce I got Hoover and Cruella—the two good things to come out of 2005. And I've gotten attached to this car, too. She has character, and she's a survivor. I like that.

Ywa, I'm more attached to my cars than I should be, and yes, when you get down to it, they are simply machines. But they are fine machines, and I thoroughly enjoy them. I've loved cars since I was 4 (as far back as I can remember), and I don't see that ever going away.

Playdrv4me
08-13-07, 10:11 AM
Alright, Im not sure why remote linking from Q45.org is not working, but here are the links to a few rangie pics for those who care...

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=442&g2_serialNumber=2

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=446&g2_serialNumber=1

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=449&g2_serialNumber=1

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=450&g2_serialNumber=1

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=455&g2_serialNumber=1

http://www.q45.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=458&g2_serialNumber=2

Oh btw... the coolest part of the whole car is the guy on the GPS that talks in a ridiculous BRITISH accent.

96Fleetwood
08-13-07, 10:48 AM
Nice! But I bet you can't wait till you can step up to a Supercharged version.

Playdrv4me
08-13-07, 10:49 AM
Nice! But I bet you can't wait till you can step up to a Supercharged version.

By the time they are cheap enough, it would be a tough call between the R/R Supercharged and the Porsche Cayenne Turbo.

96Fleetwood
08-13-07, 10:55 AM
My girl and I are going to test drive a few SUVs and AWD sedans this coming weekend.

The Cayenne/Touareg, FX45, M35x, Phaeton, among others.

Not sure if we can afford the Cayenne Turbo, but a V10 Touareg would be nice :thumbsup:

Personally I would love to get a fully loaded V8 Touareg, the auction prices on them are insane! ~30K miles for low $20Ks

Playdrv4me
08-13-07, 11:01 AM
Yea those Touareg's are insanely cheap, and extremely well appointed inside. The top of the line ones have an air suspension system that functions the same as the Range Rover one. In fact, the interior is a dead ringer for the Phaeton. Of course the Phaeton is in the low 20k's now itself.

96Fleetwood
08-13-07, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I like the Phaeton.. it is the poor mans A8.

This will be for my girl, she is going to give the QX4 to her Dad sometime soon so we are shopping right now.

Both mine are paid for, so we figure we can take on one car payment.

Do you know if VW had the 10 year/100K powertrain warranty for the 2004/05 Touaregs?

gdwriter
08-13-07, 11:16 AM
Oh btw... the coolest part of the whole car is the guy on the GPS that talks in a ridiculous BRITISH accent.Could be worse. Can you imagine it giving directions in a Cockney accent (a la Eliza Dolittle from My Fair Lady): "Turn rahght at the next lahght, guvnor!"

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-13-07, 12:20 PM
I was looking around on Carsoup at some Phaetons, and I found some with like 50-55k on them for around $26,000. Maybe if I could find one wiht like 70-80k on it, it would be more in my price range...

96Fleetwood
08-13-07, 12:37 PM
I was looking around on Carsoup at some Phaetons, and I found some with like 50-55k on them for around $26,000. Maybe if I could find one wiht like 70-80k on it, it would be more in my price range...

I looked at last month's manheim market report and you can get a 2004 V8 with 35-50K miles for $22-25K. Were you looking at the W12?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-13-07, 12:45 PM
No, it was a V8 version. What's a Manheim Market Report?

96Fleetwood
08-13-07, 12:50 PM
What's a Manheim Market Report?

The list of all the Manheim owned auctions from east to west coast sales. You can search back up to 2 years I think. I even have it on my PDA. I used my Dad's dealer login, you must be a dealer to get access to it.

Just let me know what year, make, and model and I can tell you what they go for at the auctions around the USA.

Playdrv4me
08-13-07, 12:58 PM
I wish I still had that, I havent had access for at least 6 months.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-13-07, 01:18 PM
Just let me know what year, make, and model and I can tell you what they go for at the auctions around the USA.

1983 Aston Martin Lagonda. :D