: Replacing Belts

305Caddy
08-10-07, 09:50 PM
Im replacing my alternator, and while I am doing that I may as well as replace all the belts right? Right! I can not figure out how to adjust the airpump:banghead: It is under the alternator to your left (looking into the engine bay) I assume that this would be the accesory that I would have some type of tensioner since a belt goes around the airpump, waterpump/fan, and the crank shaft pulley some one please help :worship:me:confused: before:bighead:

z06bigbird
08-10-07, 11:09 PM
If there is no tensioner wheel on any of the fan belts, you need to loosen the mounting bolts for the device that you are talking about. On old Lincolns, you had to move the p s pump until you had enough tension. Where else does the smog pump belt go? Any of the devices that belt touches has mounting bolts.

305Caddy
08-10-07, 11:39 PM
the belt goes around around the pump pulley, fan/water pump pulley, and the crank pulley

305Caddy
08-10-07, 11:54 PM
here is a picture http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/KIllaWhite305/HT4100.gif
notice the small pulley under the alternator.

carnut
08-12-07, 12:16 AM
The smog pump is adjusted from under the car. Main bolt holding it on is loosened, then the bolt on the pivot bracket under the pump is loosened. Gently pry on the pump body just behind the pulley. Fill out your profile because without the picture I had no idea what year Cad you were working on?

Brother_B
08-13-07, 02:11 AM
I changed all my belts recently. The AIR pump on my car has two fasteners. The lower one is accessed from the back. It's really hard to reach, and my head did in fact explode during the process. I ended up using a 12" extension with a knuckle - I think that was literally the only way to get to it. I also ended up needing a slightly longer belt than the one they gave me at the parts store...

305Caddy
08-16-07, 12:18 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. It took me like 4hrs to figure out. Carnuts "The smog pump is adjusted from under the car" instruction really threw me off. I ended up going to Sears, and getting a 5mm offset ratcheting wrench, that made it a lill easier.