: XM '04 SRX with NAV-Why can't it be installed?

tomduder
08-10-07, 04:36 PM
I just came back from my dealer where my SRX has been for the second time to have XM installed. When I dropped it off this morning, I told the service department that if an external tuner had to be used, not to install the XM at all. It was written on the shop order and the service supervisor understood completely and said that he had seen it installed to use the NAV head unit. When I arrived to pick it up, there was an external tuner sitting on my center console where the cupholders used to be. The service supervisor was at a loss and told me again he had written my instructions on the shop order. My dealer uses a 3rd party installer and he was still there. I explained the situation to him and they agreed to take it back out, which means another day in the shop for the uninstall. The installer said that there was no way to install XM to use the head unit unless it was installed at the factory. He offered to leave the XM in with the external tuner and when it was possible to use the head unit they would take out the tuner and install it to use the head unit. Sorry for the venting, but this is getting a little frustrating. Is it not possible to install a GM XM tuner and have it work through the head unit? If not, does anyone know why?

Thanks for letting me bend your ears (or in this case, your eyes)

Tom

SRX-GBMI
10-10-07, 04:54 PM
Tom,

I have the same issue and have not found a resolution. Have you found a work around for this yet? I have a friend that works at Denso (they disigned this POS :helpless: nav unit). He says that he can put me in touch with an engineer that can give me an answer. Please email me - (acfee@umich.edu). Please fill me in if you have any further information.

Allan

ewill3rd
10-11-07, 06:47 AM
It depends on who manufactured the radio. I think they offer kits for certain part numbers, but not others.
When I called my radio repair facility to check on this for a forum member they told me that for his part number it would not work.
They have to check with the radio part number to see if a kit is available.

gwt7912
10-13-07, 10:52 PM
I have a 06 SRX and I wish to change out the stock radio with a nav unit I purchased from a wreck. Does anyone know if it is a simple replacement or is there something I should know,came wiyh gps antenna and wiring harness. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Gary

Yaemish
10-16-07, 11:01 PM
They said the same thing to me when I tried having Sirius installed. None of the shops or the local Cadillac place could/would try it. I ended up getting some help from someone on the forum and was able to do it myself.

Before you ask me how, let me tell you that that only reason I was able to do it was because along with my NAV unit, I also had the rear seat entertainment already there. Apparently if you have the rear-seat DVD, a wire connects to the NAV system; so doing the tie in with the SAT receiver will work. If you don't have the rear DVD, you would need to add some wires to the NAV unit but I don't know where you would add them.

coacholy
10-23-07, 05:54 PM
Yaemish,
Are you saying if I have a 2004 SRX with Navigation and the rear dvd player, I can install the sirius kit SIR-GM1? I don't have factory xm because of the glass roof. On the band display on the screen, it has wx? You know what that means?

sgilbert
10-23-07, 06:58 PM
On the band display on the screen, it has wx? You know what that means?

Wx is the weather band. :bonkers:

Yaemish
10-23-07, 07:08 PM
yeah, the "Band" button cycles through to the Sirius. But yes, I have the 04 Nav with rear seat DVD and it DID NOT come with XM pre-installed. I installed the SIR-GM1 unit for Sirius and it works perfectly (though the buttons still say XM, its Sirius)

coacholy
10-24-07, 08:36 PM
yeah, the "Band" button cycles through to the Sirius. But yes, I have the 04 Nav with rear seat DVD and it DID NOT come with XM pre-installed. I installed the SIR-GM1 unit for Sirius and it works perfectly (though the buttons still say XM, its Sirius)

Yaemish,
Where did you install it. Behind the nav/radio unit or in the rear quarter? Was it a plug and play or did you have to do some wiring? Thanks for the info.