: Northstar error codes, OBD1 and OBD2

gust_1980
04-15-04, 03:04 AM
im not sure if anybody has seen this or has posted it before but i searched and found this site that tells you just about everything you need for you ns computer. peace.

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html

ShadowLvr400
06-14-04, 12:12 PM
Posting and sticking this link so anyone with code problems can easily get to it.

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

propertypro
06-27-04, 09:27 AM
Does the 1997 SLS use an OBD 1 diagnostic computer or the ODB 2?:confused:

ShadowLvr400
06-27-04, 12:56 PM
97 is OBD2, and I'm going to merge this with the OBD2 list.

Geno Castellano
06-28-04, 12:16 AM

The OBD2 (onboard diagnostics second phase) was a Federal mandate by the EPA that went industry wide beginning with the 1996 model year. ALL vehicles sold in the USA had to be OBD2 compliant in 1996 so any 1996 or later vehicle will be OBD2.

The OBD2 requirements standardized trouble codes, what items have to be tested and checked by the OBD system and standardized the method of trouble code readout to an industry standard so that any and all service centers can access the OBD system and trouble codes.

propertypro
06-28-04, 12:42 PM
Thanks Geno,
I knew I could count on you. Is there any way to check trouble codes without a diagonastic tool? I have a Service Ride Control on the DIC and have a hunch that it may be one of the suspension position sensors. I had to replace a front sensor on two previous Sevilles. (one each) Also, can you tell me how to test the sensor?
Thanks, Wayne

Geno Castellano
06-28-04, 01:36 PM
Did you try pressing the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel (OFF and PASSENGER WARMER) on some displays. Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons with the key on until the diagnostic system activates. The codes should display on the DIC.

I'm not sure how to check the position sensors on your car. Usually, there's a wiring or connetor problem with them though as the actual sensors are pretty robust. Check the connectors for corrosion and moisture and the wiring near the sensors for nicks or breaks.

v8l
06-29-04, 06:18 PM
I lost this information about 1/2 year ago but lost the link (site shut down ?) and couldnīt find the information anywhere.

Great stuff. Thank you.

Hason560
06-29-04, 10:43 PM
Ok well that link is great and all but i pulled my codes today and i didnt see these on that site so if anyone could help i would apprecaite it. mabey im just reading it wrong but here they are PC0300, PC1139, PZ2719. There was alot more in there but they all said history so i guess ill just deal with these for now.

Jack Ammann
07-10-04, 11:14 AM

OBD 2

94CaddyConcours
07-10-04, 10:44 PM
Is my 94 Caddy Concours a obd1 or obd2:rolleyes2

Jack Ammann
07-11-04, 12:37 AM
Is my 94 Caddy Concours a obd1 or
obd2:rolleyes2

OBD 1...'95-'96 was the dividing line. '96's and later had OBD 2's. '95's and earlier had OBD 1's.

scorch
07-31-04, 07:58 PM
FWIW, there's a bunch of info (.pdf's) here relating to codes, diagnostics, etc.

http://www.racingstrong.com/toystar/reference.asp

caddyshack24
08-05-04, 12:10 AM
Just wanted to add, those codes differ from the 1993 Northstar which is ODBI
for example, it shows p080 as 'Fuel System Rich' .. while on the Northstar, that would be 'TP/Idle learn not complete' but are correct for the 4.9 Liter.

kenneth2k5
06-01-05, 02:19 AM
Sorry to sound stoopid, but I just bought a 96 Seville SLS, and I would like to know how to activate the ODB system so that I can get the codes. I have seen instructions to push and hold the "Off" and "Warmer" buttons, but I don't have a "warmer" button. My traction control and ABS lights are staying on, and I heard these codes will help me troubleshoot the problem. So if someone could help me out or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

kenneth2k5
06-01-05, 04:23 AM
Ok, I found it. The only current code was pz2042...loss of ABS/TCS serial data communications. I will try to reset the PCM tomorrow.

mcowden
06-01-05, 11:33 AM
Can we make this thread sticky again? It's more helpful than the "FSMs and such" thread that's currently sticky.

kenneth2k5
06-01-05, 12:38 PM
Well, if it ain't sticky, I'm sure I can keep it at the top with my questions. ;)

I have reset the PCM codes and there are two coming up current:

PZ1571 - TRACTION CONTROL TORQUE REQUEST CIRCUIT
PZ2042 - LOSS OF ABS/TCS SERIAL DATA COMMUNICATIONS

And as I stated before, the TRACTION CONTROL and ABS warning lights stay on. I don't THINK there's a problem with either because I have stomped the brakes and the wheels didn't lock up, but I haven't spun the tires to see if the traction control is working.

So now that I have these codes, is there a way to fix these problems? Does the PCM have to be replaced? Please give advice because this is my first caddy. :D

mcowden
06-01-05, 01:06 PM
If I was you, I would post this stuff in the electrical technical forum or the Seville forum instead of the Northstar forum. You'll get better answers there since this isn't an engine-related question.

If I was to venture a guess as to your problem, I would say it sounds like a problem with the TCS or RSS computers, not the PCM. It could be a wiring issue perhaps, but again, I think you'll get better answers in a different forum.

Good luck...

kenneth2k5
06-01-05, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will try to post it the other forum.

cl1986
06-11-05, 06:37 PM
Will someone please make a sticky on the NORTHSTAR performance engine section that includes all the codes without any links that are usually down, IE like the obd1 code sticky???

This would help everyone find their codes.

Thanks

mtyler7807
07-06-05, 11:57 PM
You have a blown 50 amp fuse under the hood due to a sticky relay. Same problem I had. Hope that helps

selinz
08-19-05, 12:37 PM
I purchased a scan tool that can read all of the sensors, etc. as well as do a dyno test. I am currently getting a "traction control" and and "ABS" dash light coming on periodically and when they do, the dash is telling me that the charging system needs service after a few minutes. However, the scan tool shows no troube codes. I'm getting errors on the dash but no codes through the tool. However, I can read all of the sensors, etc.

It's as if there is a short in the ABS wheel sensor or something that causes to the charging system to tank. This last weekend, I pulled the alternator and battery, only to find them both OK when tested at Kragan... Grrr.

Is there a command to issue to OBD to get it to spit out the codes?

Ranger
08-19-05, 07:25 PM
Yes. I am not real familiar with the SLS but it is either the OFF and INFO UP or the OFF and PASSENGER WARMER pressed simultaneously and held (whichever combo you have). A frequent and common culprit for this problem (ABS & T/C lights) is a bad wheel speed sensor. The sensor is integral to the hub & bearing so the whole assembly needs to be replaced if that is the case.

loweldo
10-20-05, 03:35 PM
yeah pre-1996 may be OBD-I but mine blew out the computer in it mid-2000 and the garage replaced i with a OBD-II unit so I have an OBD-I connector but sometimes i get 3 digit codes and sometimes they are 4 digit codes. it depends what modules they report from - if its been replaced after 1996 or not. its the funkiest thing i've ever seen in a car.

mcowden
10-20-05, 03:57 PM
yeah pre-1996 may be OBD-I but mine blew out the computer in it mid-2000 and the garage replaced i with a OBD-II unit so I have an OBD-I connector but sometimes i get 3 digit codes and sometimes they are 4 digit codes. it depends what modules they report from - if its been replaced after 1996 or not. its the funkiest thing i've ever seen in a car.

Yep, that definitely qualifies for the the "funky" adjective. More funky than George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars. I have no idea how they even got that to work. Henceforth, we shall refer to your car as "FrankenEldo." :D

selinz
11-07-05, 05:58 PM
FYI, it turns out my wierd problems were due to a bad battery cable. I purchased 3 splice kits from Kragan and problem is solved.

ewill3rd
11-07-05, 10:18 PM
Actually GM started using OBD2 as early as '94. In '95 a certain percentage of GM cars had to be OBD2 so you see a lot more, but in '96 it was mandated by law for all domestic cars.
OBDI sucks! The easiest way to tell is to look at the connector under the dash. If it is rectangular with a notch on one side and 12 holes it's OBDI, if it is rounded on each end, wider on one side and has 16 holes, it's OBDII.

On most cars you must use a scan tool to retrieve codes, but on Cadis you can use the heater control and DIC to see stored codes.
Sometimes problems are more complicated to diagnose than just knowing what the codes are.
Activation of diagnostic mode depends on your controls.

Colt D
12-10-05, 03:06 PM
On 96 STS, I can pull my codes using the off and warmer buttons, but how do I reset the codes so I can see which problems are new and which history codes have since been fixed? The emission control warning has been coming and going.

It seems its always the same 02 sensor.

Thanks,
CD

Ranger
12-10-05, 08:09 PM
On 96 STS, I can pull my codes using the off and warmer buttons, but how do I reset the codes so I can see which problems are new and which history codes have since been fixed? The emission control warning has been coming and going.

It seems its always the same 02 sensor.

Thanks,
CD
When in the diagnostic mode, HI FAN = YES and LOW FAN = NO. Answer YES to the CLEAR ALL PCM CODES? prompt.

Colt D
12-10-05, 11:13 PM
Thanks, but I don't get "Clear all PCM Codes?" I only get "PCM?" Do I need to do something to get it to show more options, or is that it?

Also, I looked up PC0174 and its a "Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2." I can replace an O2 sensor, but how do I fix this?

Ranger
12-10-05, 11:21 PM
Answer YES to PCM? Answer NO to the next prompts til you get to CLEAR PCM CODES?, then answer YES.

Not sure about P0174 but I think that may be more indicative of a vacuum leak. See what ewill3rd has to say about that.

Colt D
12-18-05, 02:17 PM
Thanks. I thought it might be the vacuum cannister below the battery because it looked like some acid leaked down, but that was OK. I followed the vacuum tubing up from the can and found some hella rotted vacuum lines. I replaced them with new ones and I haven't seen a code yet. It's only been one day, but it looks like that did the ticket.