: Got my first coin today :D

Sinister Angel
08-09-07, 10:19 PM
I was working at the airport today and we had a few Army guys go through (a full bird, CSM, and MSG). Well, when I was checking in the CSM, we got talking and before he took off to get on the plane, we shook hands. Next thing I know, I have a challenge coin in my hand for Walter Reed Army Medical Center - Medical Center Brigade. Did some research and it turns out that the CSM I checked in is the Brigade CSM.

Yeah, I'm sure some of you are probably going "What the hell are you talking about", but those who were in the military definitely know the coin game.

So for those of you who have them, what coins do you guys have? Guy I work with have a coin from the Deputy SecDef and one from Shinseki. Well, he says he has them, but I haven't seen them. He was based in DC though, so I wouldn't be surprised.

z06bigbird
08-09-07, 10:42 PM
No coins, but I was walking behind Mr. Cheney in a small hotel in Erie, Pa. I said, "Hey, Cheney." He turned around, and I talked him out of a business card. He was working for a think tank then--approx 1995--1998.

Sinister Angel
08-09-07, 10:49 PM
Yeah, apparently the VP doesn't have a coin..

gothicaleigh
08-09-07, 11:28 PM
So what are the coins for?
Are they like the government version of Pokemon cards?

Stoneage_Caddy
08-09-07, 11:48 PM
kinda sorta ...big thing we did witht hem was to produce them at the bar , whoever didnt have a challenge coin bought the next round ...

in my cabinet resides a pentagon coin from a chaplin , and one from my old sqadron ...

GizmoQ
08-10-07, 01:48 AM

Sorta... Its a way of identifying where you've been and who you know. Many times when traveling it comes in handy to be able to give a coin to someone who was particularly helpful.

I have several: VietNam Memorial Supporter, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Joint Munitions Command, NATO Allied Force, Tuskegee Airman, Old Crows, Air Force One! And those are just the ones in my display case.

I would always carry my home coin and on occasion one significant for where I was going or who I was meeting, i.e., Old Crows, Tuskegee Airman, Joint Munitions.

Sinister Angel
08-10-07, 03:45 AM
Niice on the Airforce one. How did you come across that one?

GizmoQ
08-10-07, 11:14 AM
It was one of my jets that I was responsible for managing ops and maintenance on - just another jet in my VIP fleet. ;)

CIWS
08-10-07, 06:42 PM
Coins are more of an Air Force, Army thing.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/intro/coin.htm