: computer control module

rosequeen
08-09-07, 06:06 PM
I have now been told that my srx is having issues with the computer control module, any one else had these problems? This why my car is losing power while driving and the service engine light comes on. Has any one else had these issues?of course it out of warranty

john d
08-09-07, 08:48 PM
Could they mean Engine Control Module (ECM or ECU)?
How many miles are on the SRX?
Take it to a dealer if you haven't already.
Could this be covered under the emissions warranty which is 8 years/80,000 miles?
Let us know.

terryk
08-09-07, 08:52 PM
Agreed.

sgilbert
08-09-07, 09:03 PM
In your other thread, you said that the dealer did replace the computer at GM's expense: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/114286-service-engine-soon-light.html

rosequeen
08-09-07, 10:15 PM
The car is at the dealer. It has 78,000. miles on it. It is a V6 AWD. When I called this afternoon I was told that there must be a short in the system causing the gas not to flow. I wonder if maybe they replaced ECU last time and that is what they were calling the computer. I wanted my daughter to take this off to college in a few weeks and now I am nervous to have her take a car on the California freeways that will lose power at any time. I was going to order a new one but now I am getting leary. Any other idea's for me to throw at them? Thanks for the help so far.

john d
08-10-07, 12:41 AM
Realize It's easy to say....if you're financially able...ditch the SRX.
I'd look for a late model factory certified Honda Odessy or Pilot.
Pretty scary that the dealer is guessing about the problem.
Wouldn't want to put my daughter out "there" with a car that has the history yours does.
Buick just got a JD Powers award for initial quality so maybe that's a consideration. After buying the my first year production 04 SRX problems I'd be afraid of the first year Buick Enclave.

john d
08-11-07, 01:35 PM
The car is at the dealer. It has 78,000. miles on it. It is a V6 AWD. When I called this afternoon I was told that there must be a short in the system causing the gas not to flow. I wonder if maybe they replaced ECU last time and that is what they were calling the computer. I wanted my daughter to take this off to college in a few weeks and now I am nervous to have her take a car on the California freeways that will lose power at any time. I was going to order a new one but now I am getting leary. Any other idea's for me to throw at them? Thanks for the help so far.
Just got another idea...
Been thinking, bothered and worried for your daughter about your problem. Last night I remembered someone in this forum had a gas delivery issue that was caused by a "transfer" problem.
As I understood it there are two gas tanks in the SRX or some kind of divider in a single tank. In any event one tank/section (primary) delivers the gas to the engine and the other tank/section (secondary) has some kind of set-up that transfers it's gas to the primary tank/section for pumping to the engine.
If that's the case, then any interference/failure in the transfer would cause the engine to starve for gas while the tank gauge shows adequate supply.
Let us know what's up!

MortnCyn
08-11-07, 03:03 PM
I think this is what John is talking about from a post about fuel gauge problems.

Wonder if the has a fuel tank like the CTS? The CTS has two fuel cells. I recall our dealer (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) saying he had a CTS with the problem relating to the CTS gas tank. The following is from a tech bulletin on the CTS Forum.

Runs Out of Fuel (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) When Gauge Reads 1/4 Tank , Possible DTC P1172 - kw 3.2 connector DIC display electrical fluctuation inaccurate LA3 low MIL P0445 P0453 P0461 P0463 P2066 P2068 pump tank stall #PI01969 - (Apr 9, 2004)
Runs Out of Fuel When Gauge Reads 1/4 Tank, Possible DTC P1172.

Condition 1: Fuel gauge goes to E, runs out of fuel when gauge indicates 1/4 tank, possible DTC P1172. Upon removal of technician may find left tank saddle has fuel in it and right tank saddle is empty.

Cause: Inoperative, plugged, or cracked jet pump. The jet pump is integral to the primary (right) fuel module and transfers fuel from the secondary (left) tank to the primary (right) tank. The jet pump plastic boss changed 9/02 to address the cracking issue. The weld equipment for the jet pump was changed 11/22/02 to address plastic weld flash plugging the jet pump.

Correction: Replace primary (right or filler-neck side) fuel module. The labor operation is L1200, the part number is 25679320. The date code for the primary fuel module is on the label on top of the unit, stamped into the upper right corner in the following format: 1MMDDY.

Condition 2: Fuel gauge reads empty after a fuel fill with the engine running. Both DTC P0461 Stuck Primary Fuel Level Sensor Signal and DTC P2066 Stuck Secondary Fuel Level Sensor Signal set together.

Cause: This can be customer-induced by fueling the vehicle (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#) with engine running.

Correction: Diagnose the system per published Service Information procedures. If no concerns are found, clear the codes to reset the PCM and to restore gauge function. Do not replace parts to correct the condition.
Note: The system defaults to Gauge Goes to E when there is a problem. There should be a code stored when the gauge is reading only E. Also note: Currently no secondary senders (left side units) have been found to have a problem. And no sender cards (primary and secondary) have been found to have a problem.

Models:
(2003 Cadillac CTS (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#))

ps Seem to recall some problems with gas cap not being on or closed properly by someone.

rosequeen
08-12-07, 07:33 PM
I called my service advisor on Friday and was told they now feel it is a harness wiring problem, they have ordered a new one and it will be in on Tuesday. I asked about the ECM and that is what they replaced last time. I have never really had any problem with the gas guage not being correct as sometimes I run it quite low. I'm a little worried about what they are going to charge me for this but I guess that bad news will come on Tuesday. Thanks so much for your thoughts on this very unsettling problem, I have passed them all on to my service man. Lauren

sgilbert
08-12-07, 08:45 PM
"....as sometimes I run it quite low"

Definate NO-NO! You can easily burn up your fuel pump. It is cooled and lubricated by fuel. If not submerged, it will burn it up (so-to-speak).

john d
08-13-07, 12:30 AM
"....as sometimes I run it quite low"

Definate NO-NO! You can easily burn up your fuel pump. It is cooled and lubricated by fuel. If not submerged, it will burn it up (so-to-speak).
AND....clog the fuel pump intake filter sock and/or the fuel filter ! !

john d
08-29-07, 09:18 PM
I called my service advisor on Friday and was told they now feel it is a harness wiring problem, they have ordered a new one and it will be in on Tuesday. I asked about the ECM and that is what they replaced last time. I have never really had any problem with the gas guage not being correct as sometimes I run it quite low. I'm a little worried about what they are going to charge me for this but I guess that bad news will come on Tuesday. Thanks so much for your thoughts on this very unsettling problem, I have passed them all on to my service man. Lauren
hey rosequeen - Update us..inquiring minds want to know!

donjumpsuit
08-31-07, 11:22 AM
Its not a wiring problem.

I am the person in question who john D is refering to, as I have had frequent performance loss in my SRX since about a year ago. Here is my original thread describing my problems and the attempted solutions.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/101299-final-solution-my-engine-problems.html

As you can see in the original post, they dropped the fuel tanks, replaced several parts, AND replaced the ECM. This corrected the problem for a few months, but alas now the problem is back again. It never mattered how much fuel was in the tank, but I do know one thing. I had my whole wiring harness in THE WHOLE CAR replaced (every last inch) because my nav system was stolen, and the harness cut. I had the problem before AND after this whole harness was replaced.

So this is my suggestion to you about your SRX

Ditch Ditch Ditch Ditch Ditch Ditch Ditch Ditch Ditch Ditch Ditch Ditch Ditch Ditch Ditch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the reason