: Coolant Temp and Codes

Jonas McFeely
08-09-07, 09:39 AM
This '68 may have come at a perfect time.

My '85 is still running great, but Tuesday the Coolant Temp light came on and the quickly went out. Then it did it again. It did it yesterday on the way home in traffic, but again, went out after maybe 5 seconds.

Then today it came on and stayed on for a minute or so, then went out.

The car sounds ok, doesnt appear to be over heating. Its about 2k over due on a oil change, but isnt low. The coolant is a bit low, could this be the cause?

It gave me these codes on the HVAC display: 4.8.8 (the 4 looked like a an "l" with a "-" on the left side of it, assumed it was a 4. And 7.0.

Anyone know what these mean?

danomac
08-09-07, 07:34 PM
That's interesting, my '81 did this a couple weeks ago. My coolant was a little low, but I could still see some in the radiator. The tank didn't overflow either, so I brought my radiator in to get flow tested and it is plugged solid. :(

On mine both the check engine light and the temp light were blinking alternately. It must've seriously been trying to get my attention.

Jonas McFeely
08-10-07, 12:05 AM
Can anyone decipher the codes it gave me? Or tell me where/how i can?

Night Wolf
08-10-07, 04:33 AM
If your coolant is low, when the system is under pressure, it may cause the coolant light to go on for a second...

best bet is to fill it back up.... get the 50-50 premixed stuff and just pour it in... fill the radaitor (when cold) and fill the recovery tank.

If coolant level is full, and light is still blinking it could be a faulty coolant temp sending unit, or maybe signs that your water pump is failing (any drips under it?) Or a bad thermostat, which is likely if it hasn't been changed in a long time.

jayoldschool
08-10-07, 09:10 AM
Can anyone decipher the codes it gave me? Or tell me where/how i can?

Here is a site for codes. You need to try that first one, again.

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/81cfb.html

Some advice: buy the factory service manual. Especially if you are considering an engine swap. You will have everything you need to service your car. Go to helm.inc and look up your car, or check on ebay.

Jonas McFeely
08-11-07, 09:57 PM
Coolant was low, filled it up and its fine now.

Thanks guys!:highfive:

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 12:50 AM
Coolant was low, filled it up and its fine now.

Thanks guys!:highfive:

told ya :thumbsup: