: AVON turbosteel 70's good?

cadydaddy
08-08-07, 06:21 PM
I am wondering if anyone has any experiance with these tires?

I was set to get the yokohama AVID touring but came across these avons.

They are a lot more in price but they say they are o.e. on R.R. and bentley and are made to handle heavy cars (fleetwood!)

So do you guys think they would be good? better ride, quiet and smooth, then the avids?

I will never be driving my car in snow so thats not a concern.

caddycruiser
08-08-07, 09:46 PM
Yes, Avon tires are great, but that greatness comes at a price in regards to many of their models.

For your driving, the extra cost over the Yoko's very likely would not be worth it except just to say you have such expensive rubber on the car. Back to back, the ride, handling, noise, etc. should actually be quite similar, as the Yoko's already have a good reputation for their performance. BUT, if you notice, the Avon's in question also are rated as summer treads and have a very low treadwear rating, so they wouldn't be proper for all season use and would wear quickly. Even if you have no plans to drive it in anything but nice weather, the Avons seem more suited for a very lightly driven semi-weekend car, as well.

So, "show", maybe yes. In every other regard, save the extra cash and just go with the Yoko's and have great, longer lasting performance year round.

cadydaddy
08-09-07, 12:46 AM
Yeah, I think I will just go with the yokos.

My car currently has continential touring xt with a white wall stripe? anyone know how those compare to yoko avid touring?

seem kinda loud when the radio is off, but they are getting down in tread. they were on the car when I got it.

caddycruiser
08-09-07, 08:59 PM
Never heard of them, but few Continentals ever have that great of rating, so I again would say the Yoko's would be an improvement.

Really, at this point, there's no doubt they're your best choice in a stock size whitewall and it's just not worth still questioning them. If you need tires, get them, and be on your way. Trust me, from one who does it himself, too much questioning is just more work than good:thumbsup:

cadydaddy
08-09-07, 11:14 PM
Yeah,im going with the Yokos.

N0DIH
08-10-07, 12:05 PM
They are $$, like $200 each. But they are some of very few V rated tires that are whitewalls out there. If you have the need to go 150+ mph, then get them, else, probably not worth the cost.

I am looking at the Kuhmo's again (now the new 85K mile version), I liked them when they were new, they did good in the winter. But mine are worn out to the point of hydroplaning too easy. So gotta get them soon....

Was thinking of going Yoko's and going with 255 60 15's too. I love lots of wide rubber.... I wish I could stuff 295 50 15s in there!!

96Fleetwood
08-12-07, 07:36 AM
Didn't Avons come on the older Bentleys?

N0DIH
08-12-07, 11:36 AM
I think so. If Cadillac would have used them, they could have been ok with raising the speed limiter to 155.... FACTORY. I wouldn't on a FE1 car. I have an FE1 car I am working on an engine swap for and I cannot get over how MUSHY it is!! It feels like the shocks aren't even there! They are probably blown, as the car has 93K miles on it. But you get in and the car floats... YUK! Yes, this is coming from a person who is looking at putting 9C1 springs in my FW, I already have wagon rear springs and I think they are a tad soft, but they are at least stiffer than the FE2 springs my car came with.....

The tread isn't fancy on the Avon's. I would really like a high tech tread like the Goodyear Forterra TripleTread with whitewalls. At least they DO make them in 235 70 15's for SUV's. They might be a slightly heavier tire (this is very noticeable for handling, a little tire weight goes a long way and directly affects ride in a big big way) so some might object to it.

96Fleetwood
08-12-07, 06:30 PM
There is a show at Al Piemonte Cadillac in St. Charles on Saturday the 18th... come on by and you can see how stiff the 9C1 rear springs with Bilstein HD are in the rear of the FW.

As for the Goodyear Forteras, I put a set on my girl's Infiniti QX4, they are pretty good for a light truck/SUV tire.

N0DIH
08-12-07, 07:36 PM
What do you have in for the front? I wonder how much different the wagon springs vs the 9C1. I swapped the wagon springs in my FW in place of the stock FE2's and the ride is much more stable now and much less reliant on the air shocks. Still needs them, but not near as much. Overall ride I think is probably undetectable from the FE2 and the air shocks all pumped up to the same ride height. But lower air/height the car is more stable.

96Fleetwood
08-12-07, 09:35 PM
What do you have in for the front?

Impala SS Springs with Bilstein Sport Shocks. The Hotchkis f & r bars help alot along with the UMI control arms.

cadydaddy
08-17-07, 11:33 PM
Well, I got the Yokohama avid tourings on my car, they are nice. did not seem to make a huge difference over the continental touring lx I had but there good so far. and new!

caddycruiser
08-18-07, 03:31 PM
Well, I got the Yokohama avid tourings on my car, they are nice. did not seem to make a huge difference over the continental touring lx I had but there good so far. and new!

Sounds good. You'll never have a "huge" change going from one stock sized tire to another on such a big, heavy car, but you'll at least have rubber with known good performance now.

cadydaddy
08-18-07, 11:43 PM
Sounds good. You'll never have a "huge" change going from one stock sized tire to another on such a big, heavy car, but you'll at least have rubber with known good performance now.

Well one thing that did not help was the psi the shop put in the tires....what idiots.

I checked psi with my nice dial gauge and they were 35-38 psi!!!!!!!!! yeah, not even the same and to high.

My door says 30psi, I let them out to 32psi, should I go to 30?

That seemed to make a decent difference.

The avid touring is a symmetrical tread pattern right, so it does not matter what way it is going?

dkozloski
08-19-07, 02:14 AM
The last Avon tires I had wore out so quick you could feel the car settle as you drove down the road. The wet weather traction was good but in all other respects they were mediocre at best.

N0DIH
08-19-07, 07:28 AM
Factory is 30 (I do NOT recommend lower than 32 no matter what, per SCCA, you cannot enter a racetrack that SCCA is sponsoring a rrace with tire pressure below 32, as the risk to push the tire off the rim is way too high).

Factory towing is 35 psi. I like 34 psi all around in mine. Tire contact patch is proper with 34 in my car.

cadydaddy
08-19-07, 12:14 PM
Factory is 30 (I do NOT recommend lower than 32 no matter what, per SCCA, you cannot enter a racetrack that SCCA is sponsoring a rrace with tire pressure below 32, as the risk to push the tire off the rim is way too high).

Factory towing is 35 psi. I like 34 psi all around in mine. Tire contact patch is proper with 34 in my car.

I will keep it at 32psi, but what a race track requires means nothing to me really, they expect hard cornering and such, I drive my car like a grandpa lol.

N0DIH
08-19-07, 02:55 PM
But one single emergency maneuver and you break a bead and lose that tire's traction, then you will definitely wish you did. I am not saying you HAVE to, but it is what I feel is good safe advice. But GM should take responsibility if a tire would break a bead at stock pressure. But that would be a tough case to prove. Don't take it as me trying to verbally force you. A lot of good technology and lessons learned have come from racing. But GM might also have the point of breaking a bead off the rim in a hard corner determined with the 30 psi rating with the 235 70 15's. A billion variables....

I just like how the car rides with 30, but handles with 38. But best compromise for me and my style of driving is 34. I would still prefer the Impala SS wheels with 275's on it... Or if I could fit 295 50 15's.....

N0DIH
08-19-07, 03:05 PM
Did you have them on the roads up north? Any snow conditions? They look scary in snow.

How much of the year are the roads snow packed there?

The last Avon tires I had wore out so quick you could feel the car settle as you drove down the road. The wet weather traction was good but in all other respects they were mediocre at best.

caddycruiser
08-19-07, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I've never actually followed the door sticker, but rather what the tire manufacturer printed on the treads themselves. Hence, on our stock sized Fleetwood tires, between 32 and the printed max of 35, just like N0DIH said.

Similar with my custom 17" wheels & tires, that have a max of 50 psi--I run them usually in between 45 and 48.

SO, long story short, 32-34 and you're good.