: Dads lookin to trade 98 for the 05

CadillacSTS42005
08-08-07, 01:16 PM
Well my moms 96 Deville has just about had it. Were looking to trade it in. My ETC will go from my sister to my mom, my mom will get my dads 98 STS and my dad will now get a 05 STS to match his 06 V. He doesn't like the V for a DD. Im very familiar with the older FWD N*, his 4.4 S/C im not allowed to touch but is there anything major to look at on the 05 STS being the 1st model year? Thanks alot guys, I have been searching and i have found a few tweaks here and there but nothing really common.

MARKVIII
08-08-07, 01:34 PM
funny i just traded my '01 ETC (i would have bought another if they still made them) for a v8 '05 STS fully loaded. so far so good. there are some trim items that i had to have replaced (nothing major) all mechanical parts of the car work great and i am very happy with it.

CadillacSTS42005
08-08-07, 01:46 PM
what trim pieces?
also im to assume that this will also not have the cool ability to display diagnostic codes on the dic

MARKVIII
08-08-07, 05:47 PM
well i am a little anal but this is what i had repaired under warrenty ... start button was cracking, one of the a/c buttons was tarnished, headliner was replaced due to seperation at moonroof opening, had it painted under the hood (paint was rubbed off UNDER hood), rubber trim around rear window replaced, center console peeling was repaired and maybe one or two other things. again nothing MAJOR but i am very anal so i take the car back as much as possible to get things fixed under warrenty. when i traded in my eldo etc it had 101,000 miles on it but because it was in like new condition i made out good on the trade in. i intend to keep this car as new looking as possible as long as i own it so i can receive top dollar on trade in down the road.

CadillacSTS42005
08-08-07, 11:10 PM
thanx alot
no one else?

z06bigbird
08-08-07, 11:33 PM
Mom gets my car; sister gets brother's car; brother gets aunt's car, etc.

Sounds like the Hogan's Heroes joke. "Good news, men. Today we all get a change of underwear. George you get John's underwear. John, you get Larry's. Larry, you get Morris' underwear. Morris, you get George's.

Now everybody has a new set of underwear!!

CadillacSTS42005
08-08-07, 11:49 PM
lol
my dads 98 is in shabby shape too, and most about everyone here knows how nice my ETC is
to keep it that way my moms going to take over on it, my sisters having a hard time keeping up with the payments, the 98s paid off and shell kill that one off like she did my moms deville

tedasaurus
08-09-07, 12:45 AM
I would recommend not getting an '05. I got an early STS4 V8 with all options and the loose brake calipers (loud clunks on bumps) and constantly locking torque converter have kept warranty repairs busy and myself quite dissatisfied with the car. I have alot of cadillacs but after two Lexus it seems stupid of me to have gone back to cadillac at this point. Don't get a first year. Just don't. '98 wasn't so bad due to drivetrain carry over.

VA Maddog
08-09-07, 09:11 AM
The 05 AWD will come loaded as the 1SG option was a required option. So you get the Northstar and almost every option. Only two individual options were available beyond that 1) The heads-up display/adaptive cruise control which I consider a potential safety issue for those who are not on top of how the technology can work and 2) The Handling Package which gets you the sport summer only tires and higher performance brake linings.

I really like my 05 AWD. You can get the same car w/o AWD with the 1SG (Premium Luxury Performance Package) and it will be a few hundred pounds lighter due to being RWD.

If you pick one up, perhaps just off a two year lease, and it is still under warrantee I would not be concerned about it being a first year model. The 05's have had few first year issues compared to many other first year runs of other vehicles. Check out the typical problem section of this forum for more insight to issues that people have run in to.

For 06 they dropped the sunroof as part of the 1SG package and it became a separate option so some have it and some do not. They also allowed AWD with the V6 in 06 which to me would be a bit underpowered compared to the NorthStar.

CadillacSTS42005
08-09-07, 10:26 AM
thank you
and as i asked it will not allow me to enter diagnostics through the car correct?

malcolm
08-09-07, 12:50 PM
My 05 STS has almost 32K on it and has been almost trouble free. Two very minor items. Rocking from driver's seat and the BS chrome on the driver's door handle inside was peeling off. Both fixed quickly and successfully on one trip to the dealer. One other thing, right front blinker bulb burned out. What a PITA to change, book says 1 hour.