: 756

Rey Rey 650
08-08-07, 06:14 AM
Just wanted to give props to a former high school alumni Barry Bonds for breaking an all time home run record....... :alchi:

Playdrv4me
08-08-07, 11:07 AM
Ohhh boy... I knew this thread would come along sooner or later, this will be at 10 pages in two days lol.

dkozloski
08-08-07, 11:32 AM
Barry Bonds played summer baseball in Fairbanks many years ago and was well on his way to being a jerk even then.

derrty_deville
08-08-07, 11:41 AM
Roids or not at the end of the day thats a lot of homers.

Zymurgy
08-08-07, 01:23 PM
That should be 756*.

* Forever tainted by performance enhancing drugs

Blackout
08-08-07, 03:14 PM
Performance enhancing drugs don't improve your eye hand coordination. So congrats to Barry on breaking one of the best sports feats out there and haters of Barry will continue to be haters but oh well

Zymurgy
08-08-07, 05:48 PM
Performance enhancing drugs don't improve your eye hand coordination. So congrats to Barry on breaking one of the best sports feats out there and haters of Barry will continue to be haters but oh well

But they do help build upper body strength and that certainly contributes to the ability to hit the ball over the fence.

Your "haters of Barry" comment is irrelevant. Even if I claimed I was not, you would simply continue to say that I am just because I think his record is tainted.

I wish he had broken the record without the question of drug use hanging over the situation. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

99esteees
08-08-07, 07:09 PM
But they do help build upper body strength and that certainly contributes to the ability to hit the ball over the fence.

Your "haters of Barry" comment is irrelevant. Even if I claimed I was not, you would simply continue to say that I am just because I think his record is tainted.

I wish he had broken the record without the question of drug use hanging over the situation. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Don't forget about the juiced up pitchers he was facing.

Playdrv4me
08-08-07, 07:16 PM
One thing I was not aware of that I just heard on Savage, was that Aaron himself was there to well-wish Bonds after hitting number 756. If the man whose record he is breaking can see fit to give the man a pat on the back, I guess I can cut him some slack.

dkozloski
08-08-07, 07:59 PM
Hank Aaron was not at the park but a canned video was played. The whole deal stinks.

Jonas McFeely
08-08-07, 08:02 PM

I agree with that post 100%. Points. I believe the record should stand, but there should be a "*" next to it, with an explanation.

This is a double edge sword in a way. Can you fault The Beatles or Hendrix for smoking pot and eating acid and making some of the best music this world has ever heard? Steely Dan or the Moody Blues? Most of your great '60s and '70's chart toppers were stoned out of their gords. Or Alice in Chains for being all smacked out on heroin and writing some of the best '90s grunge songs ever? Some of my favorite music was written while the writers were on heroin. Should those songs have an "*" next to them?

Now i think that argument is bullshit,and i would never try to make it, but it is similar, in a way? :stirpot:

dkozloski
08-08-07, 10:27 PM
The game has rules. If you don't like the rules go organize your own league like "World of Outlaws" sprint cars. If you play in the other guys league you follow the other guys rules. It's as simple as that. When you wind up before the judge for breaking the law you can't use as an excuse, "I don't like that law so you can stick it".

Blackout
08-09-07, 08:51 AM
But they do help build upper body strength and that certainly contributes to the ability to hit the ball over the fence.Well if thats the case then Jose Canseco and Mark McGuire should have broken the record since they were all juiced up.

Your "haters of Barry" comment is irrelevant. Even if I claimed I was not, you would simply continue to say that I am just because I think his record is tainted.Did I say you or "haters of Barry"? But either way what you think is irrelevant seeing that you are not in charge of the record books.

Well that is hanging over his head but at the same time has he ever failed a drug test? The answer would be no so basically he's portrayed as "guilty until proven innocent" which I think is BS. They have thrown every and all drug tests at him and he's passed them all. So until he fails one then to me he's cleared of all charges

Zymurgy
08-09-07, 01:34 PM
The fact that neither Selig nor Aaron were there speaks volumes.

From Newsweek:

“I would like to offer my congratulations to Barry Bonds on becoming baseball’s career home run leader,” Aaron said in a surprise taped tribute played on the big video scoreboard at AT&T Park, seconds after Bonds hit No. 756. “It is a great accomplishment, which required skill, longevity and determination.” Aaron, whose record of surpassing Babe Ruth stood for 33 years, then offered his “best wishes to Barry and his family,” and then rather cryptically added, “My hope today, as it was on that April evening in 1974, is that the achievement of this record will inspire others to chase their own dreams.” The last comment of course could be read as Aaron’s hope that some other ballplayer will come along and one day pass Bonds, whose home run chase has been tarnished by relentless questions about Bonds’s alleged use of performance-enhancing substances. Aaron made clear months ago that he would not be present during Bonds’s chase, and Aaron has hardly embraced Bonds as worthy of baseball immortality.

dkozloski
08-09-07, 01:46 PM
When the President who is a big baseball fan and former owner was asked about Bonds breaking the record, he remarked that he went to bed early and slept through it.

Zymurgy
08-13-07, 12:10 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i252/zymurgyphotos/Cadillac%20CTS/BondsToon.gif

dkozloski
08-13-07, 12:49 PM
Barry Bonds can't hold a candle to Roy Hobbs.

dkozloski
08-13-07, 12:52 PM
The major league ballplayer most admired by his peers for his skills is Ichiro Suzuki. There is a man with hand eye coordination.

Zymurgy
08-13-07, 02:18 PM
The major league ballplayer most admired by his peers for his skills is Ichiro Suzuki. There is a man with hand eye coordination.

Not to mention agility and quickness.

dkozloski
08-13-07, 03:10 PM
Not to mention agility and quickness.
He also has a throwing arm like a cannon.

Blackout
08-13-07, 03:53 PM
Ichiro is one of the main reasons I have stuck with being a Mariners fan once they got rid of A-Rod, Big Unit, Griffey Jr. and my boy Jay Buhner. But Ichiro is probably one of the best all around players in the game today

dkozloski
08-14-07, 01:52 AM
The last player in baseball that everybody in both dugouts stood up to watch hit was Ted Williams. During the all-star game everybody stood up to see Ichiro hit. He plays every day and has yet to commit an error this year

Blackout
08-14-07, 06:15 AM
Now your making me want to go and pick up a Ichiro jersey!

dkozloski
08-14-07, 10:38 AM
I don't think there is anybody else in sports with his first name on his uniform.