: I need someone under 30 to answer this question...

JimHare
08-07-07, 07:03 PM
Just got the wifey an iPod Nano. Am I correct in assuming that, with the iTunes software, we can transfer any old MP3 file(s) to it, or do we need to actually BUY the tunes from the iTunes store?????

nikon
08-07-07, 07:04 PM
any old mp3 file will work just fine

wait4me6920
08-07-07, 07:13 PM
Not under 30, but I do have over 40 gigs of music in my iTunes folder. Yes, iTunes will handle any mp3 files you throw at it. Matter of fact, one of the main advantages of using iTunes is to facilitate building playlists.

If you don't care how your mp3s are lined up, you can just dump them into the Nano at desktop level.

If you do purchase additional music via iTunes, you'll have to take your Nano through the authorization procedure - a piece of cake that iTunes will step you through.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-07-07, 07:16 PM
It'll transfer just fine. I had the same question actually when I bought my 30gb iPod last fall. I had probably 800 songs that I purchased, mainly in CD form, and I didn't know if those weren't compatible with the iTunes, but they were.

wait4me6920
08-07-07, 07:19 PM
Excellent point - if you have normal music CDs, iTunes can & will import them for you as mp3 files that you can then export to your pod.

slk230mb
08-07-07, 07:59 PM
There isn't much that iTunes wont handle.

EcSTSatic
08-07-07, 08:11 PM
I even found some shareware that will strip the audio portion from my wife's DVD college lessons and imported them to her iPod. And I'm 52

lawfive
08-07-07, 08:14 PM
But... you need to set a preference to have iTunes rip in MP3 format.

wait4me6920
08-07-07, 09:06 PM
I even found some shareware that will strip the audio portion from my wife's DVD college lessons and imported them to her iPod. And I'm 52

Oh yeah, I've also a shareware program (far as I know, it's only ported to Mac) called File Juicer that will strip audio and other files from most any type of file you care to name.

File Juicer doesn't care what type file you drop onto it; it searches the entire file byte by byte. If it finds a JPEG, JP2, PNG, GIF, PDF, BMP, WMF, EMF, PICT, TIFF, Flash, Zip, HTML, WAV, MP3, AVI, MOV, MPG, WMV, MP4, AU, AIFF or text file inside, it can save it to your desktop or a user designated location.

It can often extract text information from damaged files - a feature that can be handy at times.

Jonas McFeely
08-07-07, 09:08 PM
I used to have one of the first MP3 players ever. It was a Rio. Had 28 Megs of storage, or about 9 or 10 songs. That thing was huge. I now am probably one of like 3 20 year olds that doesnt have an MP3 player. But my Pioneer Premier headunit in my car plays MP3 CDs, so its kinda the same.

JimHare
08-07-07, 11:12 PM
Thanks all for the answers. I used to be "with it", but ever since the move to FM radio, times just left me behind.. lol

I remember getting my first AM-only, 9-volt-battery-powered, transistor radio in about 1964 and hunting feverishly for WFIL 560 in Philly, because it was the only rock and roll station with enough oomph in its transmitter to get to where I lived..and then at night, you could pick up stations in freakin' Texas..

Spyder
08-07-07, 11:38 PM
IIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiii don't have a mp3 player. I DO, however, still have a discman and a case to carry all my CD's with me...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-07-07, 11:46 PM
I used to have one of the first MP3 players ever. It was a Rio. Had 28 Megs of storage, or about 9 or 10 songs. That thing was huge. I now am probably one of like 3 20 year olds that doesnt have an MP3 player. But my Pioneer Premier headunit in my car plays MP3 CDs, so its kinda the same.

You should get a sage green 1985 sony walkman. lol sorry.

Krashed989
08-08-07, 04:16 AM
Yeah ipods will play mp3's. I have a couple mp3's on my ipod that I sang and recorded myself... If I knew any good musicians I would start a band. Right now I'm only a voice.

nikon
08-08-07, 10:25 AM

lol I had one too....the software would only work with win 95 :p

Did yours ever have a problem with the wire running to the positive side of the battery getting disconnected?? I had to resolder that sucker at least 10 times.

Jonas McFeely
08-08-07, 06:39 PM
lol I had one too....the software would only work with win 95 :p

Did yours ever have a problem with the wire running to the positive side of the battery getting disconnected?? I had to resolder that sucker at least 10 times.

It was actually 32 megs now that i think about it. Mine never had that problem. Actually it worked flawlessly from what i can remember. I used to listen to it at the local go-cart track, where at one point in time, i was the fastest and best driver that frequented the track. No BS. I had that track down and would smoke anyone who tried me. But i havnt been in years now...:rolleyes:

70eldo
08-09-07, 02:59 AM
why under 30? I have my 80 GB iPod hooked up in my CTS. Including movie playback on my dvd/nav screen :D.

I find the plugin for Winamp more comfortable than iTunes.

EcSTSatic
08-09-07, 07:38 AM
why under 30? I have my 80 GB iPod hooked up in my CTS. Including movie playback on my dvd/nav screen :D.

I find the plugin for Winamp more comfortable than iTunes.

I thought Jim's title was pretty clever. It reflected the baby boomers' tongue-in-cheek humor about all of this evolving technology. :)

JimHare
08-09-07, 06:49 PM
Obviously, I meant no disrespect to anyone over 30 - but I suspected that most of gen X & Y members shot out of the womb with Earbuds already in place, and had their Razrs charging on the delivery room heart monitor while they were at it, whereas I, and most members of my generation (hope I die before it get old... lol) have trouble remembering our cell phone passwords.. :)