: Leaking Head Gaskets & Extended Warranty

99_WHITE_STS
08-07-07, 08:14 AM
I am wondering about the interpretation of extended warranties, regarding leaking head gaskets, and what members have heard or found out for themselves, about their coverage.
I was having problems flirting with overheating, and performed a cylinder pressure test, and it revealed that #1 and 3 on the rear bank, and #4 on the front bank are leaking combustion into the cooling system. My wife had purchased an extended warranty, in which there are 1000 miles or 3 months remaining of a 1000,000/5year warranty. I know there are many products out there for warranties, but I would bet they are all pretty typical as far as coverage.
Yesterday I was close to ordering Thermagasket, to put a band-aid on it in effort to buy me some time, because of a disabling back condition has left me a financial disaster. I had discounted attempting to pursue the extended warranty, because in the "lingo" it states that the heads and block are only covered, if an internal oil failure problem, has led to their demise. Further it states that excluded, are all items damaged due to overheating. Although my car has never gotten to the "limp mode" , I felt they would argue that would be the only reason for head gasket failure, and it would be a long drawn out arguement that I really did not want to get into. After reading one of the previous threads ("update on 99' DeVille) their warranty covered because it was determined the head gaskets failed, because of the bolts. My particular one reads, that the head and intake gaskets are covered , only if the damage is not from external deterioration and wear, and that the cause is an internal leak. Since overheating should be a mute point because of the "limp mode", I can see a little light shining on the subject. I guess I am looking for input regarding warranty experiences, and other discussion on the subject of leaking head gaskets. :crybaby: to hopefully :bouncy:

Thanks, Jim

johnrgregory
08-07-07, 09:32 AM
My th read was the Update on the 99 Deville. The failure was 3 head bolts that pulled out from the engine block causing the head gasket to fail. The warranty company is fixing now, as I write this. This is the second time, the rear head failed in March 2006 and now the front one. The warranty company never questioned the repair request either time. I bought the extended warranty from the dealer when I purchased the car, so I let them deal with the warranty administrator.

Ranger
08-07-07, 10:32 AM
Aftermarket warranty companies don't make money fixing cars. They are pretty good a writing in loopholes. Some are better than others. Sounds like yours has a pretty good one, but you will only know when you file the claim.

99_WHITE_STS
08-07-07, 11:36 AM
Aftermarket warranty companies don't make money fixing cars. They are pretty good a writing in loopholes. Some are better than others. Sounds like yours has a pretty good one, but you will only know when you file the claim.

Hi Ranger,
I highly value your opinion, but wasn't sure what you meant. Mine has a pretty good loophole or a pretty good policy

Ranger
08-07-07, 03:26 PM
From what you said,
in the "lingo" it states that the heads and block are only covered, if an internal oil failure problem, has led to their demise. Further it states that excluded, are all items damaged due to overheating. I'm thinking loophole.

z06bigbird
08-07-07, 03:53 PM
If you are expecting them to refuse to cover it, then you have nothing to lose. You cold also go to the srv mgr at the dealership where your dad maintained the car. Have him read the policy; he might have some advice for you.

Take some coffee and a box of donuts.