: V6 vs. V8?

CadillacBuyer
08-06-07, 10:27 PM
We are trying to decide on a new 2007 SRX in V6 vs the V8.

What are your opinions on the cost/value?

Jmale
08-07-07, 01:09 AM
We are trying to decide on a new 2007 SRX in V6 vs the V8.

What are your opinions on the cost/value?

The N* V8 is a wonderful engine. Powerful,smooth,effortless acceleration. For me these things eclipse the extra $ I spent for the engine and gas surcharge.

Questions to ponder:

1. How much will the reduced gas mileage cost you? (typical drive to work etc)
2. What value do you place on having extra HP and Torque.
3. Any additional auto insurance concerns.
4. Did you watch Live Earth and felt moved to do something? :)

Good luck, either choice will yield a sweet ride!!!

:thumbsup:

TSS
08-07-07, 08:13 AM
Drive both and follow your heart. Mine told me to get the V8 and I never regretted it.

onewhippedpuppy
08-07-07, 08:27 AM
Drive both and follow your heart. Mine told me to get the V8 and I never regretted it.

Agreed. The V6 is a good engine, the V8 an outstanding one. For me, the extra power, smoothness, and V8 sound made it worth the small MPG hit.

donjumpsuit
08-07-07, 10:52 AM
* V8 *

inline6
08-07-07, 07:43 PM
We are very happy with the V6. Not a rocket, but more than respectable performance with very decent mileage.
When we purchased ours, the V6 was $5K less than a V8 equiped the same; I believethere is considerably less difference today. Drive both, in town, on country two lanes and in the city then make your decision.

c5 rv
08-07-07, 08:46 PM
I drove both and felt the V8 was needed for acceptable AWD performance. For RWD, I thought the V6 was sufficient.

terryk
08-08-07, 12:39 AM
Agreed.

The wife and I wanted AWD and realized the V8 was needed to make it feel sporty but then we realized that we were very unlikely to take the SRX out into weather when we *needed* AWD so we flipped and got a V6 RWD. We love it and it runs great.

If it snows we take the 4WD truck.

CadillacBuyer
08-11-07, 02:53 PM
I drove both and felt the V8 was needed for acceptable AWD performance. For RWD, I thought the V6 was sufficient.

Why does the engine size make more of a difference if you get the AWD version version (which we would) versus the standard version?

c5 rv
08-11-07, 08:58 PM
Why does the engine size make more of a difference if you get the AWD version version (which we would) versus the standard version?

AWD adds about 200 lbs. to the vehicle. Plus, I imagine it adds drag to the driveline.

GMJim
08-11-07, 10:39 PM
If you don't test drive a V8, you'll be fine with the V6. If you test drive a V8, you'll own a V8.

robhersch
08-13-07, 04:36 AM
I suggest the N*V8. If getting a lower price is your objective, note that the V8 has many additional features "standard" (ie, adj pedals, rear air, ultraview, Bose sound, chrome roof rack, wheels, tire size, etc, etc) that are optional extra cost on V6; and also note that these addl features have varied from model year to model year so check your "goodie list" carefully.
Good luck, you will enjoy either model!!

jmayhew
08-13-07, 10:20 AM
here is my take..

they are both good motors.

who is tha car for...you or your wife?..if its your wife, does she "need" the V8?

also...whats the price difference....7-10K depending on other options & dealer.
is the v8 worth that to you.

the V8 is really nice...but the V6 is no slouch....still one of the quicker rides when compared to others in its class.

I got my wife a '06 AWD V6 with utility package (3rd row, rear a/c, tranny cooler, tow package, etc...) only thing we didn't that we would have liked was ultraview, but we can live without it.

i went with the V6 over the V8 due to it being for my wife & she doesn't really need it...so the extra cost wasn't worth it.
Plus the extra cost for premium gas & lower gas milage had an impact too.

& for all the people who are gonna blah blah blah about not needing premium...they are kidding themselves.
like if said before..sure it has knock snesors to "help" protect against early detination, but it WILL retard the performance/gas milage & have long term effects on the motor.

and IMO...if your big dog enough to throw down 45-50k on a caddy....why would you be too cheap to pay the extra $0.20-$0.30 per gallon for gas...thats just retarded.

onewhippedpuppy
08-13-07, 11:51 AM
Skipping premium when it is required is just stupid. In most cases, your MPG improvement will cover the extra cost and then some. Not to mention the extra power and extension to the life of your expensive motor.

jmayhew
08-13-07, 01:57 PM
Skipping premium when it is required is just stupid. In most cases, your MPG improvement will cover the extra cost and then some. Not to mention the extra power and extension to the life of your expensive motor.

exactly...but the argument that some people here will give you is that the SRX V8 doesn't "require" premium, it "recommends" premium.

but to me thats pretty much the same thing...the only difference to me is that when its just recommended, in an emergency you can put lesser grade fuel in & not worry to much ....but when its required there are stipulations as to how to do it....only a certian amount for so many miles till you get premium...i for get the exact details but it was written in my old SVT manual, & my moms v6 altima manual

onewhippedpuppy
08-13-07, 02:49 PM
My old 2003 4Runner V6 required 89, recomended 91. We spent some time tracking and comparing the two, and found that 91 octane yielded an approximate 4 MPG improvement on the highway. Not to mention, it was much more responsive. Enough so that my wife even noticed, and she's oblivious to anything automotive. That 4 MPG improvement more than covered the extra gas cost.

I remember a car show, where they compared a 996-generation 911 Carrera with 87 and 91 octane. The Porsche of course was designed for 91, they were testing to see what difference it made. Dyno tests were done with similar conditions, with a week (I think) in between to let the ECU re-adjust for the different octane. I think they also reset the ECU. Anyway, 91 gave it over 20 HP more than 87. Sure, it was on a 340 HP Porsche, but it is good food for thought.

jmayhew
08-13-07, 03:25 PM
interesting....

whipped...you need to read thorugh this thread...pretty amusing...
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/107727-recommendations-concerns-things-avoid-srx-purchase.html

but like i said...regardless of performance/mpg, etc...
anyone who forks out 50K on a car but is to cheap to pay the extra 20-30cents per gallon for fuel is just retarded.

jmayhew
08-13-07, 03:28 PM
oh & back to the buyer....also keep maintanence costs in mind

for instance...if your keeping it stock....the V8 has bigger tires that cost more.
not sure of the oil capacity but the v8 might take more oil therefore increasing oil changes, tune ups etc...

not that they are "big" issues but somethings you might not think about
the tire cost can bite you in the a$$ though.

BaseBoy
08-13-07, 04:24 PM
The price difference V6 vs. V8 is not that significant if the buyer also wants the Luxury package (or better). It's only when a buyer looks at the V6 base vs. V8 Luxury is the price difference that significant.

Enterprise Rental has V6 SRXs. I rented one before going with the V8. The V6 breaks a sweat (but does not complain) passing at highway speeds. The V8 does not break a sweat.

Weight is an issue. Although the V8 weighs more than the V6, as a prior post mentioned there are options that increase the weight of the vehicle such that a V8 is more suited, e.g., AWD and Ultraview. How many passengers? Any light towing?

Resale value is a true unknown (if the vehicle is purchased).

Jim_V
08-16-07, 12:26 PM
Love my V8...never drove the V6. Nothing but premium for this car.

fredolde
08-17-07, 05:39 PM
You can buy a lot of gas fot the 5-10K difference between a V6 and a V8!!
We average 18-19 mpg in town(San Antonio) and 22-25 on the road in our V6('05) 3rd seat, Bose w/XM, 18in tires, adj peds.Got 24.7 between Padre Isl. and SA last week at 70 mph. V6? You bet. Reg, gas. Testosterone is expensive!!

TSS
08-17-07, 07:34 PM
Testosterone is expensive!!

I suppose, but much less than having a daily driver AND a sports car. When I got my 2006 AWD SRX V8, I got rid of my Tahoe and 300ZX Twin Turbo because the SRX was a nice balance of both.

rotharch
08-19-07, 09:25 AM
It depends on what drive you. I have the V6, certainly adequate performance. I get about 24 MPG highway, 18 city...I've heard that V8's aren't anywhere near that. It's not the extra few bucks for gas, it's the fill-up frequency.

If you want 0-60 in less than 8 seconds and/or if you cruise at the upper limits of the tire ratings, you'll probably prefer the V8. Otherwise, the V6 should be perefectly sufficient.

rotharch

TSS
08-19-07, 01:04 PM
It's not the extra few bucks for gas, it's the fill-up frequency.

rotharch

That is actually a really good point that I did forget about. I did have to fill up more often than I would have liked w/ my SRX. Same gas mileage as in my Escalade, but 44% larger tank in the Escalade. (26 vs 18 gallon tank)

onewhippedpuppy
08-20-07, 08:27 AM
SRX does seem to have a very small tank, that is an annoyance. But, 24 MPG vs. 21 MPG on the highway doesn't make a huge difference. 50 miles give or take.

TSS
08-20-07, 09:16 AM
I was never able to get 21 MPG. The best I could pull was about 19.5 on a straight run driving very very conservatively. Regardless, I would still get the V8 again, zero doubt.

And onewhippedpuppy is right, the issue lies more in the smallish tank than the difference in mileage.

b4z
08-20-07, 07:08 PM
I thought the tank was 20 gallons?

TSS
08-20-07, 08:10 PM
I thought the tank was 20 gallons?

18 gallons in the SRX as far as I recall....

jmayhew
08-21-07, 10:48 AM
And onewhippedpuppy is right, the issue lies more in the smallish tank than the difference in mileage.

the tank is on the small side....but every little thing helps with weight reduction & makes it a quicker, more nilbble vehicle....its just over 4K lbs....where a lot of its competitors are closeer to 5K or over (enclave, arcadia, R & G class benz, pacifica, etc.... & i think the Cx9 is close to 6K..ouch)

GMJim
08-21-07, 12:07 PM
18 gallons in the SRX as far as I recall....

BS Todd......................

MortnCyn
08-21-07, 12:27 PM
Capacities from '05 Owners Manual.

TSS
08-21-07, 12:37 PM
BS Todd...................... :lol:

I guess I was wrong.... again.....

GMJim
08-21-07, 02:11 PM
Todd, I had no idea. I have never put over 17.4 gallons in.

ALPINESRX
09-04-07, 02:21 AM
Hello all,
New to forum and just purchased 07 AWD V8. I drove both and felt V6 would be sufficient for the wife but for comparable dollars got a loaded V8 CPO. Picked up SRX in Cincinnati Friday afternoon and made it home about 28 hours later to Utah. Tried both mid grade and premium to see how it would do after researching this forum prior to purchase. 18.5 mpg on midgrade, 20.2 on premium driving at 75-80 mph over the 1600 miles. I am adding a K & N soon out of habit. V8 is a blast to drive and I am glad we held out until we found the one we wanted with all the bells and whistles.

robhersch
09-04-07, 06:00 AM
Hello all,
New to forum and just purchased 07 AWD V8. I drove both and felt V6 would be sufficient for the wife but for comparable dollars got a loaded V8 CPO. Picked up SRX in Cincinnati Friday afternoon and made it home about 28 hours later to Utah. Tried both mid grade and premium to see how it would do after researching this forum prior to purchase. 18.5 mpg on midgrade, 20.2 on premium driving at 75-80 mph over the 1600 miles. I am adding a K & N soon out of habit. V8 is a blast to drive and I am glad we held out until we found the one we wanted with all the bells and whistles.

Welcome to the owners forum for the exclusive Cad SRX and even more as an owner for the exclusive SRX N*V8. Thanks for the mileage report; seems ~ in line with my experiences and those reported on the "Fuel Mileage for V8" ~ 9/10/05.
Also suggest that you investigate the Volant CAI before committing to K&N.
An acquaitance installed and then removed his K&N because of the rather loud intake although many herein seem to want the "intake sound".
I added a Volant which seems to me to be a bit quieter than my friends K&N (likely due to the design of the "box" containing the cone filter) but my wife still found it to be "too loud"); I then isolated the "box" from the car chassis with "foam rebound carpet pad" and the "box" mounting clamps with ~ 1/2" rubber washers from ACE Hdwe.
My intake sound is now ~ OEM except when you "stomp it".
I also found the cost delta between Volant and K&N ~ insignificant.
You may find discussion threads "SRX N*V8 Intakes" ~ 10/10/05 and some HP/ Torque vs RPM dyno charts (for CTS 3.6L V6) under CTS forum ~ 11/24/05 before you buy.
Good luck; you will love your SRX N*V8!!