: Should i buy a '68 Sedan Deville?

Jonas McFeely
08-06-07, 07:27 PM
I was driving home after taking my roommate to the bank, and im almost home, and see an old Cadillac sedan with a for sale sign that says $600. I turn around for a closer inspection.

Its a '68 Sedan Deville. White with a burgundy leather/cloth interior. Sign says it runs and drives and starts everytime. Its a bit rusty and the paint is pretty shot. But everything is there, wheel covers, emblems. The interior looked fair too. Not great, but not a disaster either. Original radio and all that.

What kind of engine does this have? I know nothing about '60s Cadillacs.

What do you guys think? I mean i know i just bought this '88, but theres always room for another right? I dont know. $600 just sounds too goo dto pass up, especially if it runs and drives.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-06-07, 07:31 PM
For $600, it'll need work, but shit, go for it.

Engine is a 472 cubic inch big block (7.7L). Cadillac sourced. 375hp and 525 lb/ft. Expect gas mileage (in good tune) in the area of 8-9 city, and 10-11 highway. Quite piggish, and it'll probably need leaded gasoline (unless it was already retrofitted) but it's got a HELL of a lot of power.

FWIW, the 1968 is my favorite year of the Cadillacs that were huge, but still had good power.

96Fleetwood
08-06-07, 07:34 PM
NO! Fix up the Sage Green and make it a show car!

CaddyshackCadillac
08-06-07, 07:57 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006IAG00.01-A1HM51JAIB6OMF.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
i say do it man ........here

Production total -9850
shipping weight-4680
factory price-5785
.................................................. ...............................
On paper, it seemed that the main distinctions of cars in the DeVille lineup were the installation of a power-operated front seat with horizontal adjustment and the addition of illuminated door panel reflectors. There were, however, richer appointments inside and out, including the traditional rear fender Tiffany-like scripts and plusher upholstery trims. In addition, twice as many body styles were provided in DeVille level finish.
V-8. Overhead valves.
Cast iron block.
Displacement: 472 cubic inches.
Bore and stroke: 4.30 x 4.06 inches.
Compression ratio: 10.5:1.
Brake horsepower: 375 at 4400 rpm
Five main bearings.
Hydraulic valve lifters.
Carburetor: Rochester Quadrajet four-barrel model 7028210S.
NOTE: The new engine featured
a metal temperature monitoring device
air injection emissions control system
integral air-conditioning system (still optional)
cast crankshaft and connecting rods
integral water crossover pipe with thermostatic passages
engine bearings with more surface area
15-plate battery.
Wheelbase: 129.5"
Overall length: 224.7"
Rear axle ratio: 2.94:1
Transmission: three-speed Turbo-Hydramatic
Tires: 9.00 x 15
Front tread: not available
rear Tread: not available
POWER TRAIN OPTIONS

Optional axle ratio data not available.
Air injector reactor and closed positive crankcase ventilation standard.
Controlled differential was now $52.65 extra on all models except Eldorado.
CONVENIENCE OPTIONS

Availability and prices of options and accessories were largely the same as 1967
Auxiliary horn ($16)
Automatic level control option on models Calais or Deville ($79)
Automatic Climate Control ($516)
Bucket seats with console on models Deville (F-J-B) with leather upholstery required ($184)
Firemist finish ($132)
Cruise control ($95)
Rear window defogger on models Calais, Deville (J-B-L) ($27)
Door guards ($5-8)
Expanded vinyl upholstery on models Calais ($42)
Soft Ray glass ($51)
Guide-Matic headlamp control ($51)
Head rests ($53)
Leather upholstery, models J-B-L ($138)
License frame ($13 pair)
Padded roof, models J ($132); models B-L ($137)
Power door locks, two-door ($47); four-door ($68)
Power ventipanes with required power windows ($72)
Power windows on Calais models ($116)
AM radio ($162)
AM/FM radio ($188)
AM/FM stereo ($288)
Reclining front seat with headrests on Convertible with required bucket seats ($84)
Four-way lefthand power bucket seat on models F-J-B ($53)
Six-way power front seat on models G-N-K ($111); models F-J-B-L ($83)
Rear center seat belt ($11)
Front shoulder straps ($32)
Tilt-telescope steering wheel ($90)
Remote control trunk lock ($52)
Twilight Sentinel ($32)
White sidewall tires, size 9.00 x 15 four-ply 8PR-5 ($56 exchange)
New items of optional equipment were added as well:
Twin front and rear floor mats for all Calais & DeVille ($17)
Front seat warmer for all Calais & DeVille ($95).

Jonas McFeely
08-06-07, 08:02 PM
For $600, it'll need work, but shit, go for it.

Engine is a 472 cubic inch big block (7.7L). Cadillac sourced. 375hp and 525 lb/ft. Expect gas mileage (in good tune) in the area of 8-9 city, and 10-11 highway. Quite piggish, and it'll probably need leaded gasoline (unless it was already retrofitted) but it's got a HELL of a lot of power.

FWIW, the 1968 is my favorite year of the Cadillacs that were huge, but still had good power.

That is a ton of power. Those are Gross figures i assume. Think it could be shoehorned into an '85?

NO! Fix up the Sage Green and make it a show car!

Thats a given, and will come, in time. But im not ready to start that yet, and im trying to make a couple dollars here.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-06-07, 08:06 PM
That is a ton of power. Those are Gross figures i assume. Think it could be shoehorned into an '85?

Yes, gross. Net I think is around 280hp and 420 lb/ft. I forget exactly how you convert gross to net, but there are calculators that allow you to do so online. Even though, the 472 Eldorado is good for a 16.5 1/4 mile according to road tests from back then, and I'd assume a RWD deVille would be a bit quicker than those.

You can put any big block Caddy motor into a 77-92 RWD Cad. Well, atleast it'll physically fit in those cars of those years.

AElayyat
08-06-07, 08:11 PM
I was driving home after taking my roommate to the bank, and im almost home, and see an old Cadillac sedan with a for sale sign that says $600. I turn around for a closer inspection.

Its a '68 Sedan Deville. White with a burgundy leather/cloth interior. Sign says it runs and drives and starts everytime. Its a bit rusty and the paint is pretty shot. But everything is there, wheel covers, emblems. The interior looked fair too. Not great, but not a disaster either. Original radio and all that.

What kind of engine does this have? I know nothing about '60s Cadillacs.

What do you guys think? I mean i know i just bought this '88, but theres always room for another right? I dont know. $600 just sounds too goo dto pass up, especially if it runs and drives.

dude you should buy it! flip that 88 brougham when your all done with it, but don't let the 68 get by you. make it another project.

by the way you will love the power of the big block 472, my pops has a 68 coupe deville chillin in the back yard and when that thing was running, man was it fun to drive.

pops97deville
08-06-07, 08:22 PM
any old body lac is a definite good idea and it's cheap enough you could treat it like a toy and do what ever you want to do at your own pace and since it is old you dont have t be the smartest cookie to do the work

Jonas McFeely
08-06-07, 08:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Now its just a question of me getting my Dad to loan me the $600. Which i think i can do. He loves '60's GM products, so i think this one will hit home.

Also, there must be something in the air. I just got a phone call from a buddy ive known for years that i havnt talked to in awhile, and first thing he says is: "I just bought a Caddy" ! Its a '99 Deville. Hes on his way to show it off to me now! I think its a sign! I'll see if i can get him to join the forums.

pops97deville
08-06-07, 08:58 PM
tell him to get a warranty it would be well worth it

Destroyer
08-06-07, 09:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Now its just a question of me getting my Dad to loan me the $600. Which i think i can do. He loves '60's GM products, so i think this one will hit home.

Also, there must be something in the air. I just got a phone call from a buddy ive known for years that i havnt talked to in awhile, and first thing he says is: "I just bought a Caddy" ! Its a '99 Deville. Hes on his way to show it off to me now! I think its a sign! I'll see if i can get him to join the forums.
Jonas, get that '68 and install the drivetrain in your car. It will be fast and if you think you can do a burnout now....................... Its not a hard swap and I would do it in a hearbeat. As a matter of fact, I'm in Orlando right now, tell me where the car is and I may drive it home. It really is worth it for the drivetrain if it is in good working order. Seriously, if you cant get the money up let me know cause I'd love to get this car, strip it of its drivetrain and put it in a FWB coupe.

Jonas McFeely
08-06-07, 09:26 PM
tell him to get a warranty it would be well worth it

Just got back in from looking at it. AMAZING doesnt even begin to describe it. I was expecting some high mileage decent shape Deville. Nah. Its a '99 with 30k miles on it. Fully loaded. Its like a white pearl color. Beige 1/4 viyl roof. Cream leather that is the definition of flawless. Has the chrome and gold E&G grille. And these really weird "golf club" wheels. The spoked are golf clubs and the center of the wheel is a gold ball. I dont think ive seen a Deville of this year in a condition like this. He bought a 36 month warranty for $1500 too. Said he is going to check out the forum when he gets home.

Oh and i just talked to my Dad, we are going to look at the '68 tomorrow. He sounds really interested. YES! :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

Jonas McFeely
08-06-07, 09:29 PM
Jonas, get that '68 and install the drivetrain in your car. It will be fast and if you think you can do a burnout now....................... Its not a hard swap and I would do it in a hearbeat. As a matter of fact, I'm in Orlando right now, tell me where the car is and I may drive it home. It really is worth it for the drivetrain if it is in good working order. Seriously, if you cant get the money up let me know cause I'd love to get this car, strip it of its drivetrain and put it in a FWB coupe.

I am going with my Dad tomorrow to look at it and test drive it. If i dont end up getting it(I will know by tomorrow night) i will let you know where it is and give you the #

EDIT: What all is involved with the swap? You got me thinking.

90Brougham350
08-06-07, 09:51 PM
Go for it. Better to spend $600 on a car you would love than let it rust or be turned into a mess of 13" rims and a dozen batteries. '68 is easily one of the best-looking years, with the stacked headlights. If it runs, I doubt you'd regret the purchase.

jayoldschool
08-06-07, 10:27 PM
I am going with my Dad tomorrow to look at it and test drive it. If i dont end up getting it(I will know by tomorrow night) i will let you know where it is and give you the #

EDIT: What all is involved with the swap? You got me thinking.

The swap will require parts from an 80/81. You will have to grind down the top A arm mount so the exhaust clears. I had a good thread on a 500 swap, but the link is dead.

Here is some good info:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1985-deville-fleetwood-1985/66054-can-i-put-cadillac-500-v8.html

Buy it if it runs well. You don't need to convert it for unleaded unless you beat the hell out of it at high RPMs. Everyone over reacted when lead was first discontinued. You will need to run hi-test, though. I use 93 unleaded in my 65 Impala's 327 with no problem. If the car is in good condition, fix it up - that body style is way cool. Personally, I would bag it and do it mild custom style. If the interior/exterior is rough, yank that BB and stick it in something else.

Jason.

Destroyer
08-06-07, 10:39 PM
EDIT: What all is involved with the swap? You got me thinking.Its simply going to be a matter of motor mounts and ones from a 425 or 368 would fit. Transmission crossmember would be another but again its no biggie. I dont want to make it sound that simple but really its all BS stuff that doesn't concern me that much. I think that you should go for it but then again I dont know how experienced you are with swaps and so forth. I've done over a hundred swaps over the years and when I run into a snag I find ways around them and get things done. If its something you think you can do (and in all honesty I cant think of a reason you couldn't aside from money) I say go for it or I just may. Nothing every goes as planned when doing stuff like this but having a complete car to pull the stuff you need from is a good thing. Radiator and all accessory brackets and all that will be necessary. Let me know what you are doing. I'll be in Orlando till Thursday so if you decide you cant get it for whatever reason, let me know and I may pick it up. If I get it I'll pull the complete drivetrain and look around for a clean FWB coupe with a 4100 and do the swap. If nothing else you would learn EXACTLY how and what to do after I was done. :thumbsup:

Jonas McFeely
08-06-07, 10:50 PM
Its simply going to be a matter of motor mounts and ones from a 425 or 368 would fit. Transmission crossmember would be another but again its no biggie. I dont want to make it sound that simple but really its all BS stuff that doesn't concern me that much. I think that you should go for it but then again I dont know how experienced you are with swaps and so forth. I've done over a hundred swaps over the years and when I run into a snag I find ways around them and get things done. If its something you think you can do (and in all honesty I cant think of a reason you couldn't aside from money) I say go for it or I just may. Nothing every goes as planned when doing stuff like this but having a complete car to pull the stuff you need from is a good thing. Radiator and all accessory brackets and all that will be necessary. Let me know what you are doing. I'll be in Orlando till Thursday so if you decide you cant get it for whatever reason, let me know and I may pick it up. If I get it I'll pull the complete drivetrain and look around for a clean FWB coupe with a 4100 and do the swap. If nothing else you would learn EXACTLY how and what to do after I was done. :thumbsup:

I have no experience with swaps. My Dad and i could probably do it, but he doesnt have the time for that. My good friends dad owns his own shop and is VERY experienced with swaps. So i think i could get him to do it for a reasonable price. My first thoughts on the car was that i would just flip it, but now youve got me thinking! And if i can sell the '88 Brougham when im done with it, perhaps i could take the money from that to finance the swap.

But here i go getting ahead of myself again. I will let you know whats up when we are done looking at it.

Wheelman322
08-07-07, 02:02 AM
If the car is in good condition, fix it up - that body style is way cool. If the interior/exterior is rough, yank that BB and stick it in something else.

Jason.

Couldn't have said it better myself. But either way for $600....Pick it up!

lochenjons
08-07-07, 09:04 AM
dude go for it. trust me there is nothing like driving a 472. i took a '67 coupe deville for a test drive and that thing screamed! seriously go pick it up you won't regret it

Jonas McFeely
08-07-07, 06:04 PM
Ok, i went over there after work and talked to the owner. He bought it from a guy that was selling it for his Dad, who was 92 and only drove it when he was in Florida, so it sat a lot. I dont know if he was the original owner. The guy who owns it now let it sit on his property for over 2 years, starting it every so often, but never doing anything with it. He drove it quite aways over here to Casselberry, so it is road worthy to point.

The 472 sounds rough, but once its warmed up sounds much better. This thing needs a tune something fierce! The guy said its had the same oil and plugs and all that crap for a very long time, probably 10+ years. It starts up though with no hesitation, but needs new plugs, wires, and all that comes with that. It smells like it was running super rich too.

The interior is better than i thought, just very dirty. Headliner is nice. Back seats are nice. Front seats are decent, and the drivers seat has a big rip. Original radio doesnt work. The front power windows work well. Rear windows dont. Nothing is missing or really that messed up. Just needs a bit of cleaning and attention.

The rockers are very rusty. No dents on the body. All of the emblems are there and look good. All original wheel covers are nice. The chrome is surprisingly nice and not rusty or pitted at all, needs a good polishing though. It has been painted many times. I believe a dark green too, which may be the original color,as i didnt see any layers below it. It is now white(kind of), but it looks to have been light yellow at one point too.

He took me for a ride, and it felt fairly solid from the passenger seat. He never got on it though. The brake light was going on and off, but thats expected. No A/C, but he said it just needs a charge(dont they all). I really think the car has potential, and worse comes to worst, i can yank that 472 and part it out the rest of it. There are a bunch of nice parts on it. Or i may just drive it. I really like it.

My Dad was busy today at the vet, but is free tomorrow. So we are going together to look at it, and probably buy it.

Best part is, if i do get it, i can get all of the tune up crap and more stuff done for free. My buddys Dad who owns his own shop offered his services toward any vehicle i have for giving him a great deal on a new A/C system for his house. As i get wholesale prices on everything you could ever think of that has to do with home HVAC. I saved him a ton of money. So he owes me.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-07-07, 06:26 PM
Sweetness. Good luck Tim.

Jonas McFeely
08-08-07, 06:05 PM
Im getting it tomorrow or Friday. Saturday at the latest. Dad says its a go. Im going to see if he'll take $500. But $600 will do if he wont budge. Pics as soon as i get it to my apartment. I'll take pics with all three of the Caddys.

I hope i know what im getting myself into! :bouncy: :eek:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-08-07, 06:12 PM
Wow, I am most envious.

Green with envy

Sage green with envy.

96Fleetwood
08-08-07, 06:39 PM
Wow, I am most envious.

Green with envy

Sage green with envy.

hahahahahhahaha :thumbsup:

jayoldschool
08-08-07, 07:06 PM
If 600 is the asking price, you are not paying 600. I would open the offer at 300. After all, it's just an old tank of a gas guzzler, right? Who would want that?:highfive:

Do the old "pull the 100 dollar bills out of your pocket". Sellers get weak when they see green. Offer three to start, then pull 400 out of your pocket. Tell him that's all you have. I bet you get it.:thumbsup:

Have dad keep a backup 100 just in case.

Jonas McFeely
08-08-07, 07:12 PM
He already took the For Sale signs off of it and moved it to the side of the house. I told him id pay the $600, i mean i can haggle with the best of em, but i dont know. I think i'll offer $400, and go $500. He doesnt seem to really care about the car.

Destroyer
08-08-07, 07:25 PM
He already took the For Sale signs off of it and moved it to the side of the house. I told him id pay the $600, i mean i can haggle with the best of em, but i dont know. I think i'll offer $400, and go $500. He doesnt seem to really care about the car.Congrats!. But to be honest, you are the worst haggler I've ever seen. You told the guy you would pay him $600 and now you want to haggle him after the fact? Not cool and he will probably get mad at that. I knew you weren't a business man when you were inquiring about the Sage Green coupe and telling the seller how rare it is and so forth. Not a biggie, nobody is perfect. :eek: Cant wait to see that 472 in the '85!. That will shut a lot of people up. :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-08-07, 07:29 PM
Yeah, you can't really haggle down after you told him you'd pay full asking price.

Jonas McFeely
08-08-07, 10:57 PM
My bad. Im just an honest type of guy. I dont like to low-ball people, especially if im getting a good deal in the first place. I didnt want to say i'd give him something too low in the first place,because i didnt want anyone else to get it. I knew it had to be mine as soon as i saw it. $600 for a '68 Deville that runs and drives and is all original is a deal any way you look at it. I feel lucky to have found it. I can haggle, and i have succeeded at it. The Sage Coupe was bullshit from the get go, I never told him how rare it was, just that i had been looking for one for awhile.

Whatever. Dont hate. Like i said, i will post pics as soon as i pick it up. And believe me, i will have many questions regarding the car and the swap.

Thanks. :alchi::alchi::alchi: :highfive:

CaddyshackCadillac
08-08-07, 11:16 PM
i dont know ide prolly rebuild the 68 it just seems way cooler than an 85 or 88 i think it would be one hell of a project ....either way goodluck man nice find..

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-09-07, 01:12 AM
I'm waiting to see the burnout videos from THIS car!

DopeStar 156
08-09-07, 01:20 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006IAG00.01-A1HM51JAIB6OMF.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
i say do it man ........here

Production total -9850
shipping weight-4680
factory price-5785
.................................................. ...............................
On paper, it seemed that the main distinctions of cars in the DeVille lineup were the installation of a power-operated front seat with horizontal adjustment and the addition of illuminated door panel reflectors. There were, however, richer appointments inside and out, including the traditional rear fender Tiffany-like scripts and plusher upholstery trims. In addition, twice as many body styles were provided in DeVille level finish.
V-8. Overhead valves.
Cast iron block.
Displacement: 472 cubic inches.
Bore and stroke: 4.30 x 4.06 inches.
Compression ratio: 10.5:1.
Brake horsepower: 375 at 4400 rpm
Five main bearings.
Hydraulic valve lifters.
Carburetor: Rochester Quadrajet four-barrel model 7028210S.
NOTE: The new engine featured
a metal temperature monitoring device
air injection emissions control system
integral air-conditioning system (still optional)
cast crankshaft and connecting rods
integral water crossover pipe with thermostatic passages
engine bearings with more surface area
15-plate battery.
Wheelbase: 129.5"
Overall length: 224.7"
Rear axle ratio: 2.94:1
Transmission: three-speed Turbo-Hydramatic
Tires: 9.00 x 15
Front tread: not available
rear Tread: not available
POWER TRAIN OPTIONS

Optional axle ratio data not available.
Air injector reactor and closed positive crankcase ventilation standard.
Controlled differential was now $52.65 extra on all models except Eldorado.
CONVENIENCE OPTIONS

Availability and prices of options and accessories were largely the same as 1967
Auxiliary horn ($16)
Automatic level control option on models Calais or Deville ($79)
Automatic Climate Control ($516)
Bucket seats with console on models Deville (F-J-B) with leather upholstery required ($184)
Firemist finish ($132)
Cruise control ($95)
Rear window defogger on models Calais, Deville (J-B-L) ($27)
Door guards ($5-8)
Expanded vinyl upholstery on models Calais ($42)
Soft Ray glass ($51)
Guide-Matic headlamp control ($51)
Head rests ($53)
Leather upholstery, models J-B-L ($138)
License frame ($13 pair)
Padded roof, models J ($132); models B-L ($137)
Power door locks, two-door ($47); four-door ($68)
Power ventipanes with required power windows ($72)
Power windows on Calais models ($116)
AM radio ($162)
AM/FM radio ($188)
AM/FM stereo ($288)
Reclining front seat with headrests on Convertible with required bucket seats ($84)
Four-way lefthand power bucket seat on models F-J-B ($53)
Six-way power front seat on models G-N-K ($111); models F-J-B-L ($83)
Rear center seat belt ($11)
Front shoulder straps ($32)
Tilt-telescope steering wheel ($90)
Remote control trunk lock ($52)
Twilight Sentinel ($32)
White sidewall tires, size 9.00 x 15 four-ply 8PR-5 ($56 exchange)
New items of optional equipment were added as well:
Twin front and rear floor mats for all Calais & DeVille ($17)
Front seat warmer for all Calais & DeVille ($95).

Jesus tap-dancing Christ..... Now do it for a 76 DeVille......

CaddyshackCadillac
08-09-07, 01:36 AM
http://www.100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1970/1976/cad76c.jpg
Coupe DeVille, a name that had been around for over two decades, was advertised as "America's favorite luxury car."
The mid-1970s edition had a vinyl cabriolet roof with chrome accent strip at the leading edge, and a squarish quarter window (considerably larger than most such windows at this time).
Sedan DeVille continued the pillarless hardtop that had been part of the GM tradition for years, but would soon be doomed to extinction.
Sedans also featured narrow sail-shaped fixed windows in the roof quarter panels.
DeVille's crosshatch grille was dominated by a framed set of vertical bars, peaking forward slightly at the center.
An upper horizontal bar above the grille mesh held a Cadillac script at the side and swept down alongside the grille, then outward to wrap around the fenders just above the bumpers.
Quad rectangular headlamps met wraparound cornering lamps.
Set into traditional tall housings at rear fender tips were vertical inward-facing and outward-facing side lamps.
Horizontal taillamps were below the deck lid; backup lamps in toward the license plate housing.
Script nameplates were on rear quarter panels, just above the bodyside molding.
New Magnan ribbed knit upholstery came in six colors; Merlin Plaid or Manhattan velour each in two. Eleven leather combinations were available. Distinctive simulated-rosewood appliques and laminates highlighted doors and dash. 50/50 seats had individual fold-down center armrests. The standard 500 cu. in. V-8 (whose days were numbered) could have either a four-barrel carburetor or fuel injection.
The special-edition Coupe DeVille d'Elegance now carried standard opera lamps behind the quarter windows, which were optional on other DeVille coupes.
D'Elegance hoods omitted the customary "V" and crest, substituting a distinctive stand-up see-through ornament along the chrome windsplit.
Styling highlights included dual accent stripes on front and sides of hood, door surfaces, and rear deck (in choice of eight colors).
Interiors contained new loose-pillow style 50/50 seats in two-toned Magnan ribbed knit cloth (four colors).
A "DeVille d'Elegance" script was on the instrument panel and sail panels (coupe only).
The package also included wide brushed-chrome lower door moldings, and bodyside moldings with colored vinyl inserts to match the vinyl roof color.
Coupe DeVille's Cabriolet roof option, with Elk Grain vinyl padded vinyl top, added for 1976 a decorative Cadillac crest on the sail panels.
Also part of the package: a standup see-through hood ornament, chrome roof moldings, and French seam around the backlight.
Cabriolet roofs had been available on Coupe DeVille since 1974.

production total 2 dr coupe-114,482
production total 4 dr -67,677

DRIVETRAIN OPTIONS

Fuel-injected V-8 engine $647
Heavy-duty cooling system $40
80-amp alternator $45.
California emission equipment $50
Limited slip differential $61
Trailering pkg. $85
Automatic level control $92

OPTION PACKAGES

Brougham d'Elegance $885
Coupe DeVille Cabriolet $329
Coupe DeVille Cabriolet w/Astroroof $1288
Coupe DeVille Cabriolet w/sunroof $1104
DeVille d'Elegance $650

CONVENIENCE/APPEARANCE OPTIONS

Astroroof for full vinyl roof $885
Astroroof (painted) $985
Sunroof for full vinyl roof $701
Sunroof for painted roof $800
Cruise control $104.
Controlled-cycle wipers $28
Rear defogger, grid-type $77
Six-way dual comfort power passenger seat: $131
Six-way power front lounge seat $131
Power passenger 50/50 seat w/recliner $221
Manual driver's 50/50 seatback recliner $65
Tilt/telescope steering wheel $102
Automatic door locks $100
Illuminated entry system $52
Fuel monitor $26
Theft deterrent system $114
Track master $263
Remote trunk lock $68
Opera lamps $58
Twilight Sentinel $47
Guidematic headlamp control $54
Trumpet horn $19
Remote-control right mirror $30
Thermometer on left mirror $18
Lighted vanity mirror, passenger $44 - $60
AM/FM stereo radio w/tape player $239
Signal-seeking AM/FM stereo radio $147
Signal-seeking AM/FM stereo radio w/weather band $209
Firemist paint $146
Padded vinyl roof $163
Accent stripes $42
Door edge guards $7-$11
License frame $7 each
Expanded vinyl upholstery $47
Dual comfort 50/50 front seat $185
Dual comfort 60/40 front seat $123
Leather upholstery $220-$235
Front shoulder belts $36
Air cushion restraint system N/A
Carpeted rubber floor mats, front/rear $38-$47
Turbine-vaned wheel covers $45
Wire wheels on d'Elegance/Talisman $122
Stowaway spare tire

DopeStar 156
08-09-07, 01:42 AM
Cool! Do it again!

Jonas McFeely
08-09-07, 02:14 AM
I'm waiting to see the burnout videos from THIS car!

Oh believe me Chad, rest assured there will be burnout videos of the '68. My initial plan is to get a tune up(for FREE!) and replace all the fluids and get the A/C fixed on the '68. Drive the '68 for a minute. Then fix and sell the '88 Brougham. Take that money from the '88. buy a '77-'79. Wait, save up, and give my boys Dad the Sage '85, '68 Deville, and '70-something whatever and tell him to have at it.

Although, if anyone in Florida would like to help me with this project, i would like to talk. I will pay a good amount for this swap, but if anyone that lives near me would like to help or contribute, it would be greatly appreciated. Destroyer, you know what youre doing. Lets talk, this could be a fun project. I would provide all of the financial backing, just really dont want to pay for the install. I always have weekends off.

Ehh, let me know.

Night Wolf
08-09-07, 04:54 AM
*personally* a '68 is one Caddy I really like... and if I got ahold of one... even if it needed to be fixed up, I don't think I would start hacking it up anytime soon....

My initial plan is to get a tune up(for FREE!) and replace all the fluids and get the A/C fixed on the '68. Drive the '68 for a minute. Then fix and sell the '88 Brougham. Take that money from the '88. buy a '77-'79. Wait, save up, and give my boys Dad the Sage '85, '68 Deville, and '70-something whatever and tell him to have at it.

There is a flaw tho...

Just last week you were saying how your '85 Brougham isn't the best daily driver and you want a Honda CRX or another daily driver.

Well this plan has you driving the '85 for quite some time..... without another daily driver... and then in the end, when either the '68 is fixed up or the '85 has an engine swap... you still woudln't have another daily driver.... but still be tight on cash.

I dunno... you just change up your mind each time something comes up....fixing up old cars is cool, and doing engine swaps is cool... but both will require work, just be sure to know what you've got yourself into.... if you have the time, money and space, then awesome.... but I remember you saying how bad you really need a different, even more fuel efficent daily driver....

Either way though, its cool, I want to see pictures, hopefully you don't hack the '68 up tho.... and one less car that ends up at the bone yard.

Jonas McFeely
08-09-07, 08:38 AM
*personally* a '68 is one Caddy I really like... and if I got ahold of one... even if it needed to be fixed up, I don't think I would start hacking it up anytime soon....

There is a flaw tho...

Just last week you were saying how your '85 Brougham isn't the best daily driver and you want a Honda CRX or another daily driver.

Well this plan has you driving the '85 for quite some time..... without another daily driver... and then in the end, when either the '68 is fixed up or the '85 has an engine swap... you still woudln't have another daily driver.... but still be tight on cash.

I dunno... you just change up your mind each time something comes up....fixing up old cars is cool, and doing engine swaps is cool... but both will require work, just be sure to know what you've got yourself into.... if you have the time, money and space, then awesome.... but I remember you saying how bad you really need a different, even more fuel efficent daily driver....

Either way though, its cool, I want to see pictures, hopefully you don't hack the '68 up tho.... and one less car that ends up at the bone yard.

Youre right, i do change my mind constantly. But one thing that has not changed is me wanting to do an engine swap in my '85. Now i may be able to do that.

Getting a beater as a daily driver isnt an issue. I bitch about money being tight, but not so tight that i will be suffering or have to sacrifice things(other than time). I can get a $500 beater and use that during the swap, its just another expense.

The '68 needs a lot of work. You judge when i post pics, see if its worth fixing up. I wouldnt send it to the crusher immediately, i would part it out first.

Destroyer
08-09-07, 04:01 PM
Oh believe me Chad, rest assured there will be burnout videos of the '68. My initial plan is to get a tune up(for FREE!) and replace all the fluids and get the A/C fixed on the '68. Drive the '68 for a minute. Then fix and sell the '88 Brougham. Take that money from the '88. buy a '77-'79. Wait, save up, and give my boys Dad the Sage '85, '68 Deville, and '70-something whatever and tell him to have at it.

Although, if anyone in Florida would like to help me with this project, i would like to talk. I will pay a good amount for this swap, but if anyone that lives near me would like to help or contribute, it would be greatly appreciated. Destroyer, you know what youre doing. Lets talk, this could be a fun project. I would provide all of the financial backing, just really dont want to pay for the install. I always have weekends off.

Ehh, let me know.
I definately could pull it off but I really dont have that kind of time (kids,work,distance). I dont think you need a '77-'79 parts car(would be nice though). Just find The mounts and other miscellaneous stuff from the junkyard. I would think the long tail transmission would work fine but you would need to get a shorter driveshaft or have the one in the car cut and balanced. Make SURE the '68 has a good motor with no knocks or other "funny" noises. I'm fairly confident you dont want to do a rebuild on the 472 before it goes into the '85.

96Fleetwood
08-09-07, 04:22 PM
I'm fairly confident you dont want to do a rebuild on the 472 before it goes into the '85.

Which would be the wise thing to do, especially when it is out and you can easily install upgrade items such as headers and work on hard to reach items.

Destroyer
08-09-07, 04:43 PM
Which would be the wise thing to do, especially when it is out and you can easily install upgrade items such as headers and work on hard to reach items.
Yeah I know but......... . I never had too much luck dropping a motor in with the headers installed. I prefer to drop the motor slowly till I can bolt them on and then of course deal with the mounts not lining up cause the headers are hitting the frame or something.............PITA!.

Night Wolf
08-09-07, 07:32 PM
I definately could pull it off but I really dont have that kind of time (kids,work,distance). I dont think you need a '77-'79 parts car(would be nice though). Just find The mounts and other miscellaneous stuff from the junkyard. I would think the long tail transmission would work fine but you would need to get a shorter driveshaft or have the one in the car cut and balanced. Make SURE the '68 has a good motor with no knocks or other "funny" noises. I'm fairly confident you dont want to do a rebuild on the 472 before it goes into the '85.

Its not a matter of the driveshaft length.... but the trans tunnel in the car isn't big enough to fit the long tail... I've heard it can be done, with alot of work....

I don't know for a fact either way, I just know that when I was grabbing all the info I could for the swap, it was mentioned that a '77-'79 trans would be ideal.

Also the issue of the steering column, because of the 3spd, the gear indicator won't line up, you can get it close though.... best thing would be to switch the steering column over (and possibly gain the cool floor headlight dimmer) but with the sage green interior, there isn't one to swap in... so probably just keep it.

Night Wolf
08-09-07, 07:37 PM
Youre right, i do change my mind constantly. But one thing that has not changed is me wanting to do an engine swap in my '85. Now i may be able to do that.

Getting a beater as a daily driver isnt an issue. I bitch about money being tight, but not so tight that i will be suffering or have to sacrifice things(other than time). I can get a $500 beater and use that during the swap, its just another expense.

The '68 needs a lot of work. You judge when i post pics, see if its worth fixing up. I wouldnt send it to the crusher immediately, i would part it out first.

Personally, rust really pushes me away, especially if its heavy rust on the underbody, floor pans, frame etc.... that would just turn me away from a car really fast, you said the rockers are really rusty, rot or surface? Still though, a nice '68 DeVille would be hard to part out because of some rust, but thats a decsion you will have to make.

We still haven't seen pictures of the '88 have we?

96Fleetwood
08-09-07, 08:31 PM
I don't get you sometimes Jonas... in some threads you are all about keeping the '85 as original as possible.. but now you want to change the drivetrain?

It will no longer be that uber rare Sage Green 4100 sedan you love...

Destroyer
08-09-07, 08:33 PM
Its not a matter of the driveshaft length.... but the trans tunnel in the car isn't big enough to fit the long tail... I've heard it can be done, with alot of work....

I don't know for a fact either way, I just know that when I was grabbing all the info I could for the swap, it was mentioned that a '77-'79 trans would be ideal.

Also the issue of the steering column, because of the 3spd, the gear indicator won't line up, you can get it close though.... best thing would be to switch the steering column over (and possibly gain the cool floor headlight dimmer) but with the sage green interior, there isn't one to swap in... so probably just keep it.
The gear selector isn't really an issue, I'd put it on the floor anyway. Its been awhile but the only difference between a th400 short shaft and long shaft was the shaft length. I ran into this when I was replacing the powerglide in my 67 Cutlass with a th400 from a '70 Olds '98. Not a big problem as I recall.

Destroyer
08-09-07, 08:47 PM
I don't get you sometimes Jonas... in some threads you are all about keeping the '85 as original as possible.. but now you want to change the drivetrain?

It will no longer be that uber rare Sage Green 4100 sedan you love...Yes but a Sage Green FWB with a 472 would be 1 of 1 making it even more rare. :eek:

Jonas McFeely
08-09-07, 10:19 PM
Personally, rust really pushes me away, especially if its heavy rust on the underbody, floor pans, frame etc.... that would just turn me away from a car really fast, you said the rockers are really rusty, rot or surface? Still though, a nice '68 DeVille would be hard to part out because of some rust, but thats a decsion you will have to make.

We still haven't seen pictures of the '88 have we?

Pics were posted like a week ago. Try and keep up here.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1985-deville-fleetwood-1985/113696-1988-brougham-project-pics.html

It will no longer be that uber rare Sage Green 4100 sedan you love...

NEVER have i mentioned or even hinted that i wanted to keep the HT4100 forever. What i have said, is that i would keep everything original as far as cosmetically and maybe mod the HT4100 until i blew. The interior and exterior i would like to keep stock as ive always said, but never said keep drivetrain stock.. The only thing i would change is the wheels. I would like a set of C6 Corvette wheels. Thats it. Everything else underneath the car will be changed.

It will always be a rare car, but not like something thats ever going to be worth alot. I want to keep it stock looking for my own personal reasons,not because it will make it worth more. I could care less about what its worth.

Jonas McFeely
08-10-07, 07:51 PM
The '68 is in front of my apartment. Damn, i really loved driving over here. Not as quick as i thought, but it weighs damn near 4700lbs. I can take a couple pics tonight, but i rather wait until tomorrow, because its dark now, and i want to wash and vacuum it. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

CaddyshackCadillac
08-10-07, 07:55 PM
samson simpson i stick to my story "dont swap it restore it "boyeeeeeeee

Night Wolf
08-10-07, 08:20 PM
The '68 is in front of my apartment. Damn, i really loved driving over here. Not as quick as i thought, but it weighs damn near 4700lbs. I can take a couple pics tonight, but i rather wait until tomorrow, because its dark now, and i want to wash and vacuum it. :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

change the oil!

Destroyer
08-10-07, 09:41 PM
If my son went from liking pink Honda's to BB classic Cadillacs; I'd be damn proud. Almost like if I thought he was gay and found out he was straight!. Your dad must have been happy to fork over the money. :thumbsup:

Night Wolf
08-10-07, 09:44 PM
If my son went from liking pink Honda's to BB classic Cadillacs; I'd be damn proud. Almost like if I thought he was gay and found out he was straight!. Your dad must have been happy to fork over the money. :thumbsup:

LOL!

Here son, heres the car.... and starting next week, its being sent in for a full resteration...

....but you must sign this here saying you will never own a pink Honda....

CaddyshackCadillac
08-10-07, 09:48 PM
shhhhhhh its still not over yet he could end up with a pink 68:violin:

Destroyer
08-10-07, 10:46 PM
shhhhhhh its still not over yet he could end up with a pink 68:violin:
.............with a weed whacker under the hood:eek:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-10-07, 10:52 PM
Haha, he could always turn it into a Pink Cadillac and then he'd have to go cruisin' around with the Springsteen blarin'!

CaddyshackCadillac
08-10-07, 11:54 PM
Haha, he could always turn it into a Pink Cadillac and then he'd have to go cruisin' around with the Springsteen blarin'!

with an elvis pressley haircut......and jumpsuit

Jonas McFeely
08-11-07, 12:07 AM

To be honest, i took $500 from my paycheck and paid for it, though he is helping me with rent this month, so its kinda the same thing.:thumbsup:

Jonas McFeely
08-11-07, 12:11 AM
And to all of you you smack talkers,even though i know youre kdding, you can still eat my ass. I may have a rusty '68 Deville, but its still a '68 Deville, and it is effing bad ass. I love it already and ive only had it for 6 hours.

PICS later today! :highfive:

I will still have a pink 1st Gen CRX. Mark my words. I havnt lied to you guys yet.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-11-07, 12:21 AM
I wanna drive a CRX to see what all the hubbub is about.

CaddyshackCadillac
08-11-07, 12:21 AM
And to all of you you smack talkers,even though i know youre kdding, you can still eat my ass. I may have a rusty '68 Deville, but its still a '68 Deville, and it is effing bad ass. I love it already and ive only had it for 6 hours.

PICS later today! :highfive:

I will still have a pink 1st Gen CRX. Mark my words. I havnt lied to you guys yet.

i agree dude it is badass thats why i sincerely would love to see it restored that thing is freakin awesome the look of a 68 commands respect.......

Destroyer
08-11-07, 12:25 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :highfive:

DopeStar 156
08-11-07, 01:17 AM

My friend has one...... You're not missing much.... A big leg cramp is one of them.....

96Fleetwood
08-11-07, 01:32 PM

... man, I hope I never meet you in person.... :bighead:

Congrats on the '68 though, make us proud!

Jonas McFeely
08-11-07, 06:18 PM

They are ridiculously fun cars. Not fast, but quick, and they corner like nothing else. Im not a big fan of the 2nd Gen, but im a sucker for a nice 1st Gen. 1900 lbs stock and very modable.

I hope i can post pics of the '68 today. May be tomorrow. This is what happens when you dont own your own digital camera.

77CDV
08-11-07, 07:47 PM
Congrats on your "new" '68, Tim! I'm looking forward to pics whenever. '68 was a great end for a styling era at GM: last of the vent windows, last of the vertical headlights, last of the forward-thrusting front end from '67. Though I prefer the '69 (my own taste), '68 is a really fine year and one in good condition always looks sooooo good. The rust will be a big factor in whether or not you want to restore or part out. These things rust like the very devil, especially on the front rocker panels and around the vinyl top and rear window. Very costly to repair if it's more than just surface rust. Anyway, enjoy the '68 whatever you do with it. She's a fine old car.

Craig

Jonas McFeely
08-11-07, 08:14 PM
Congrats on your "new" '68, Tim! I'm looking forward to pics whenever. '68 was a great end for a styling era at GM: last of the vent windows, last of the vertical headlights, last of the forward-thrusting front end from '67. Though I prefer the '69 (my own taste), '68 is a really fine year and one in good condition always looks sooooo good. The rust will be a big factor in whether or not you want to restore or part out. These things rust like the very devil, especially on the front rocker panels and around the vinyl top and rear window. Very costly to repair if it's more than just surface rust. Anyway, enjoy the '68 whatever you do with it. She's a fine old car.

Craig

Thanks! My Dad inspected it today, and was very surprised. It still has all of the original belts and hoses! The car is very original. Very solid. I kind of described it as worse than it really is. There is no rot on the frame. And the rockers solid. Theres is some rot at the bottom of the both front fenders and around the rear window. A couple spots of rust around the door handles and side view mirror.

It has a miss, but he doesnt think its burnt valves or anything. A small exhaust leak. The carb needs to be cleaned or rebuilt. The brake lines need to be replaced, as they are cracking. This car has a lot of potential. I kinda dont want to hack it up. I may just fix it up and keep it. Or i still might yank the 472. I dont know.

Night Wolf
08-11-07, 08:48 PM
it has a miss?

Dude... atleast do a tune up on it first....

Carb, at this point either needs to be rebuilt, or replaced (keep the Q-jet!) an HEI swap would do wonders, but if you keep the current distrubutor, don't forget about replacing points and condensor etc....

I would drop the trans pan and change the filter etc.... all that fun stuff.

Does it have factory Posi? check the jacking label, if it says anything about making sure to shut the engine off when changing spare tire, its a good sign... plus you can jack the rear end up and spin a tire when in neutral, if the other tire turns the same way, its Posi....

Jonas McFeely
08-11-07, 09:43 PM
The tranny fluid looks and smells fresh, very red. From what i could see of the radiator, the coolant looked nice and green and it didnt look rusty inside. I put some gas in it today and really got on it, this thing is torque monster! It had been sitting for so long, driving it is really making it come alive. It feels alot quicker than it did yesterday. But im not going to drive it until i get it tuned up.

I really may keep this thing and fix it up. I was going to flip it or use the 472, but now i dont know. Its really growing on me. Its so damn beautiful too! Has to be my favorite body style next to the '80s Broughams.

Pics tomorrow for sure.

77CDV
08-11-07, 09:50 PM
One thing came to me. Be careful about the AC. They ice and then melt cold water right onto the hot valve covers and exhaust manifolds, causing them to crack. I never knew this until a friend of mine showed it to me on his 66 SDV. He fashioned a little rain spout-like thing to divert the water drops away so they don't cause problems. I know the AC isn't working now, but if you keep the car and get it running, keep this in mind.

Red_October_7000
08-11-07, 11:28 PM
Nice, man, nice. I wish I lived within driving distance, I'd photograph it for you!

So if you like little rice burners that handle like they're on tracks, try the Toyota MR2 MKI (1984-89). Little mid-engined sportscar that weighs just over one ton and has near perfect weight distribution. I've got one, my girlfriend has had three. They absolutely kick ass, and cost about $500 (at least around here). Then again nifty, angular, tech-laden 1980s sportscars are my second love right after big, angular land yacths from the 70s and 80s :)

Best of luck with the 68, I still kick myself for passing on a beautiful, gold 66 that was the same body style... except it was a Sixty Special Fleetwood Brougham (talk about a mouthful).

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 12:08 AM
yeah, that sounds awesome...

'68 is my personal favorite year... but I want one too... unlike 50's Caddys (cars in general) they are alot more user-friendly, and still to this day can be used even as a daily driver while only asking for alot of gas.... most 50's cars (atleast origanal/restored... not rat rods etc...) is just different, and can't do that.

If I found a '68 for $600, I'd be darn happy.... thats just it tho, I like my '89 Brougham, but compared to a real classic... it isn't much.... and, at least in my eyes... I can't see having a project, say a '68 (cause I have always wanted one) and a project '89, it just seems redundent.... so I dunno... if I ever did get a classic, I may let the Brougham go to a good home.... I really don't want to start collecting cars, which, is a difficult thing for me, because I have a hard time selling them.

Jonas McFeely
08-12-07, 01:39 AM
Red October: I almost bought an '86 (i think it was an '86) MR2 when i worked at the auction. We would get in cars that dealers wouldnt buy or sat on their lots for over 90 days, so our auction would buy them and let them sit. Thats how i got my '86 CRX SI for $100, and my '85 300ZX for $300.The MR2 was wayyyy too small for me. Im 6'3'' 300 lbs.

Rick: i paid $500. He wanted $600, but i said i didnt have it and offered 5, he bit and even took me to the store to get brake fluid. Helluva nice guy.

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 02:46 AM
Red October: I almost bought an '86 (i think it was an '86) MR2 when i worked at the auction. We would get in cars that dealers wouldnt buy or sat on their lots for over 90 days, so our auction would buy them and let them sit. Thats how i got my '86 CRX SI for $100, and my '85 300ZX for $300.The MR2 was wayyyy too small for me. Im 6'3'' 300 lbs.

Rick: i paid $500. He wanted $600, but i said i didnt have it and offered 5, he bit and even took me to the store to get brake fluid. Helluva nice guy.

My Town Car sat around at a/multiple used car dealerships for TWO years before I bought it! Only getting like 150 miles put on it too.

$500, awesome man.... kinda stinks... you just got one of my all time favorite Caddys :).... it would be like me getting an '85 Sage Green Fleetwood Coupe :) Ah well, thats cool.... I wanna see pictures of it tho.... and i don't want to see it hacked up either.

I paid $300 for my '79, which was awesome... guy thought the enigne was blown... still wish I had that car tho.. it was a neat mix of old 70's Caddy and modern 80's Caddy....

I paid $500 for my '89 Olds and got 20k good-to-me miles out of it, had it for 2.5 years and it took me to Florida... everything worked on it, then I sold it for $500 (could agot more, but it was the first offer so I took it)

So I'd say you scored good.... seeing your '68 and Dopes '76, it makes me want an older Caddy now... but I don't have the money.... and I have the '89.... and I still want a 4x4 Isuzu.... ahhhh

Jonas McFeely
08-12-07, 04:09 AM
Wow, i didnt know you loved the '68 so much! Well i am taking my friend Kristy home in the morning and she will grab her camera. I will take pics as soon as i get back, i will see if i can get the '85, '88, and ,68 all in a row. I really think i may just fix up the '68 and drive it, i am IN LOVE with its styling and power.

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 04:20 AM
Wow, i didnt know you loved the '68 so much! Well i am taking my friend Kristy home in the morning and she will grab her camera. I will take pics as soon as i get back, i will see if i can get the '85, '88, and ,68 all in a row. I really think i may just fix up the '68 and drive it, i am IN LOVE with its styling and power.

Man, the '68 is one of my favorite years of Cadillac...

Thats why I was asking about the rust, and wanting to see pictures... cause if you really were gonna hack it up, and I didn't think it was too bad..... well....

'68 is awesome because it is the last year for the stacked headlights and vent windows and first year for the 472.

Obviosuly, I like the convertible the best, but, they are alot more money, and most convertibles end up getting trashed, cause when the sit, and the top goes bad, so does the interior.... so I really want to find a Coupe.... but, I woudln't let that alone stop me, cause the Sedans still look good.

BTW Is yours a pillar or pillarless Sedan? in between the front and rear door is there a B pillar? The pillared cars are really rare (ask DaveSmed on that one), but I personally like the pillarless look (put all 4 windows down and its totally open)

Anyway, they are just awesome, my biggest gripe is the interior design, it's nowhere near as cool as a ~'66, and I personally like the ~'72 style a whole lot more... it was when they first started the padded dash for safety thing, and I don't like the style... but you do get a 120mph speedo and a temp gauge, so thats cool.

The tail lights are awesome, red in the middle, white ont he edges... but have someone put the brake on at night and look at them, the whole thing lights up red.... then the white is for reverse.... and the front cornering lamps witht he white and amber, its all in the same housing, but when the blinker is turned up the lamp kinda turns white... its just really cool.

Any questions with that thing and DaveSmed can help you, he hasn't been around lately, but he knows quite a bit about that car.

Jonas McFeely
08-12-07, 04:33 AM
It is pillarless. Its the 4 door sedan hardtop. Not the true 4 door. I LOVE the stacked headlights. I just actually figured out how to turn the headlights on! Damn switch on the floor board. This car is awesome. I dont mean to rub it in, but its sick. And from what i can tell, it was originally GREEN! What are the odds?

Pics for SURE today.

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 04:33 AM
Heh, just looking back at some of his posts... a Civic t-boned him... said the Civic was totaled...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/davesmed/DCP01831.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/davesmed/DCP01836.jpg

His car has the pillars, and I remember him saying how hard it was to find a rust free door from a pillar car.

other pictures of his car:

smedco.net

Does your car have the 3-position window lock?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1985-deville-fleetwood-1985/22743-when-did-they-change-window-lock.html

But, anyway... yeah... hes full of info.

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 04:35 AM
It is pillarless. Its the 4 door sedan hardtop. Not the true 4 door. I LOVE the stacked headlights. I just actually figured out how to turn the headlights on! Damn switch on the floor board. This car is awesome. I dont mean to rub it in, but its sick. And from what i can tell, it was originally GREEN! What are the odds?

Pics for SURE today.

switch on the floor turns them ON? Normally that is the dimmer... should be a push-pull switch on the dash....

I dunno tho, I'm not TOO familer with them....

Jonas McFeely
08-12-07, 04:39 AM
switch on the floor turns them ON? Normally that is the dimmer... should be a push-pull switch on the dash....

I dunno tho, I'm not TOO familer with them....

Wheni drove it this evening to go get Chinese food, i pulled the switch, like in my '85 and the lights didnt come on, so i sat there and figured out that the switch on the floor made the lights turn on.

The radio turns on, but there is no sound. Any ideas?

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 04:56 AM
Wheni drove it this evening to go get Chinese food, i pulled the switch, like in my '85 and the lights didnt come on, so i sat there and figured out that the switch on the floor made the lights turn on.

The radio turns on, but there is no sound. Any ideas?

I really hope you are not still driving it with the same sludgy 10 year old oil in it :eek:

When you pulled the switch did the parking lights come on?

You've got sepeate high/low beams... IIRC the lower lights are low beam, but on high beam all 4 lights are on (bright)

So maybe your low beams are out?

OR....

it was fairly common... the wires going to that floor mounted dimmer switch were junk, and oftened burned up and/or melted the switch... which... would cause the lights to just completly go out, and of course it was only when the lights were on, and also only happened while on a dark back road with nothing around... heh...

Anyway, my '79 was the same way when I bought it, look at that dimmer, heck, I'd replace it now cause they are faulty, look for the plastic around it melted, if so you gotta kinda rewire it up... but thats the dimmer, lights should go on via dash switch.

Radio... gosh who knows, it could be anything... speaker(s) are probably trashed, then look at the wiring.

With a car that old, sitting that long... wiring is a big thing... with it aging as it is, its best to replace what ya can.

Car is old school tho, no electronic ignition, you've got a seperate mechanical voltage regulator on fender etc... good car to learn to work on, just don't mess it up :)

77CDV
08-12-07, 12:18 PM
When you say the radio comes on but no sound, is there anything at all, even static? Check the antenna, see if it's connected, then check the speakers, and of course the fuses. I can't remember if the radios had gone to solid state by 1968 or if they were still using some tubes. If they have tubes, that could be a reason for failure. Does anyone know if the 68s still had the driver foot controls for the radio?

With the lights, check the fusible links, you may have fried one or three. Also check fuses. Can't wait to see this thing now!

Red_October_7000
08-12-07, 11:40 PM
Yeah Jonas, The MR2 is small. My buddy is 6'1" and doesn't fit well in it, but he also drives in a very strange fashion, he learned on his father's cars at a very young age for driving (12 or so) and his father wasn't tall, and I guess he never learned that seats move until he learned and had a technique and everything, because he sits very close up to the wheel with his knees splayed out to the sides. With the large center console in the MR2, this was not an option for him, so he found it uncomfortable.

The foot controlled dimmer and foot controlled radio and everything makes me thing just how busy the left foot was in cars of yesteryear; the '78 Ford F600 rack body I drive for CAP has the washers and the high beams on the floor, and you have to use the clutch. In an older, more upscale vehicle, you had the radio seek too! (they had that in the 40s, believe it or not!) Nowadays there is nothing for the left foot to do at all so they give it a little place to sit, and cram more and mroe controls onto stupid stalks, which I hate. All I want on a stalk is the damn turn signals and maybe the flash-to-pass.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-12-07, 11:44 PM
I'm still waiting for pictures of the beast Tim!

Jonas McFeely
08-13-07, 12:11 AM
I'm still waiting for pictures of the beast Tim!

Tell me about it. Kristy went to go see Evergreen Terrace at The Social, and hasnt been home in a couple days, been staying her boyfriends house, and its her camera that i use. Well she isnt the most reliable friend and im not one to pester someone. So i just decided i'd swing by her house and pick it up tomorrow.

I want to show you guys pics just as bad as you want to see them. Remind me to go buy a shitty digital camera when i get paid in a couple weeks.

Monday FOR SURE.

Night Wolf
08-13-07, 07:30 AM
Yeah Jonas, The MR2 is small. My buddy is 6'1" and doesn't fit well in it, but he also drives in a very strange fashion, he learned on his father's cars at a very young age for driving (12 or so) and his father wasn't tall, and I guess he never learned that seats move until he learned and had a technique and everything, because he sits very close up to the wheel with his knees splayed out to the sides. With the large center console in the MR2, this was not an option for him, so he found it uncomfortable.

The foot controlled dimmer and foot controlled radio and everything makes me thing just how busy the left foot was in cars of yesteryear; the '78 Ford F600 rack body I drive for CAP has the washers and the high beams on the floor, and you have to use the clutch. In an older, more upscale vehicle, you had the radio seek too! (they had that in the 40s, believe it or not!) Nowadays there is nothing for the left foot to do at all so they give it a little place to sit, and cram more and mroe controls onto stupid stalks, which I hate. All I want on a stalk is the damn turn signals and maybe the flash-to-pass.

You would LOVE to drive a 1994 Isuzu Amigo.... cause thats all there is on the [single] stalk :)

Night Wolf
08-13-07, 07:32 AM
Tell me about it. Kristy went to go see Evergreen Terrace at The Social, and hasnt been home in a couple days, been staying her boyfriends house, and its her camera that i use. Well she isnt the most reliable friend and im not one to pester someone. So i just decided i'd swing by her house and pick it up tomorrow.

I want to show you guys pics just as bad as you want to see them. Remind me to go buy a shitty digital camera when i get paid in a couple weeks.

Monday FOR SURE.

a crappy digital camera is what? $100?

Save up another $100... and for $200 shipped, with a 1gb memory card get a Canon Powershot A630 from New Egg!

Anyway, yeah, we want pics!

Same on this Kristy girl for being at her boyfriends place instead of with you, with her camera..... :)

96Fleetwood
08-13-07, 10:53 AM
a crappy digital camera is what? $100?

Not even nowadays, you can buy cheap ones for $65-80 at walmart.

Red_October_7000
08-13-07, 11:07 AM
You would LOVE to drive a 1994 Isuzu Amigo.... cause thats all there is on the [single] stalk :)

My MR2 is the same way. It's funny how for years Oriental cars had this design and then they switched to "everything on the stalks for no good reason" layout. I once spent 15 minutes trying to turn on the headlights in a Nissan so I could move it in the dark. I had to take out my flashlight and scan the dash (where they weren't, of course). I also managed to pull a knob off the dash because pulling a knob is how the brain wants to turn on headlights. I eventually found them occupying the same location the windshield wiper control has on my car. There's sensible!

Night Wolf
08-13-07, 06:36 PM
My MR2 is the same way. It's funny how for years Oriental cars had this design and then they switched to "everything on the stalks for no good reason" layout. I once spent 15 minutes trying to turn on the headlights in a Nissan so I could move it in the dark. I had to take out my flashlight and scan the dash (where they weren't, of course). I also managed to pull a knob off the dash because pulling a knob is how the brain wants to turn on headlights. I eventually found them occupying the same location the windshield wiper control has on my car. There's sensible!

Yeah, and the seperate stalk for cruise control....

I remember GM getting major flack for their multi-purpose stalk that they've had for years... signal/highbeam/cruise control/wipers. I grew up around it and my cars had it, it was great... but all the magaines said they hate it and GM sucks.

So now the imports have 3 stalks, 1 for cruise, 1 for wipers, then the directional, with, as you mentioned, the headlights.....

Even tho the directional on my Isuzu is super simple, I really like it, it has the perfect amount of travel, a solid "click" when its pushed all the way, and a really nice detent for changing lanes, plus the flash to pass feature.... its simple and it works, pretty darn well..... just like the rest of the truck.

Swedish DeVille Dude
08-27-07, 06:03 AM
Being the lucky owner of a 1968 Sedan DeVille myself I can only say :
BUY THE CAR, JONAS ! ...I donīt think youīll regret it !
Itīs the ultimate cool car with so much driving comfort, if you ask me.

Kind regards from Stockholm, Sweden.

Stefan

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-07, 09:57 AM
Oh, he did buy it a few weeks ago.

Jonas McFeely
08-27-07, 08:38 PM
Oh, he did buy it a few weeks ago.

I actually vacuumed and washed it today for the first time! Well i did a half-ass job on both, but still made it look a bit better. I got a nice seat cover for it. Still needs to be adjusted, but way better than the nasty original seat surface.

Kristy has a project for her photography class and has to take a bunch of pictures of different shit. Well one of the things was something "old and weathered", so we took the '68 to a field and got a couple nice shots of it. Then after that we drove around trying to find other things that were on the list. Then came back and both vacuumed and washed our cars.

So it was a fun afternoon. After driving the '68 all afternoon, its really growing on me. You wouldnt believe all of the looks and stares and smiles i get. A black guy in my neighborhood said "Damn, old school Cadillac!" when i drove by. Me and her got a good laugh.

I still have to take it in for a tune up and fluid change, and to get the AC diagnosed. I could have sworn i heard the compressor turning on when i was messing with the HVAC controls at a stoplight. We'll see, i may just luck out.

I'll keep you all posted.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-07, 08:57 PM
Are you gonna take that thing into the local Cadillac dealership?? Because that would be the definition of badass!

I can see it now...there are a bunch of grandpas and grandmas standing around in the service aisle, and they've all got their 3-4 year old deVilles, and then comes in Jonas, in his big white bomber, blaring rap music, and the door opens and a 6'3" 300 lb man gets out, with a mohawk nonetheless, and everyone stops and stares at the classic Cadillac.

Badass.

Jonas McFeely
08-27-07, 10:07 PM
Are you gonna take that thing into the local Cadillac dealership?? Because that would be the definition of badass!

I can see it now...there are a bunch of grandpas and grandmas standing around in the service aisle, and they've all got their 3-4 year old deVilles, and then comes in Jonas, in his big white bomber, blaring rap music, and the door opens and a 6'3" 300 lb man gets out, with a mohawk nonetheless, and everyone stops and stares at the classic Cadillac.

Badass.

I woulnt take it up to Massey in the condition its in. If i took care of the rust, maybe.

I no longer have the mohawk. I have normal hair now! And i only blare rap music when im in motion, i turn my system down at stoplights. And actually, i havnt been listening to much rap lately. Mainly alot of 80's and '90s stuff. And thats in the '85. My '68's radio either doesnt work, or the speakers arnt connected. I found some speaker wires coming out from underneath the dash, so im going to mess with that tomorrow.

Destroyer
08-27-07, 11:01 PM
A black guy in my neighborhood said "Damn, old school Cadillac!" when i drove by. Me and her got a good laugh.

What do you mean by "A black guy"?. :stirpot::thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-27-07, 11:02 PM
I woulnt take it up to Massey in the condition its in. If i took care of the rust, maybe.

Why not man? That would be badass!

Jonas McFeely
08-27-07, 11:08 PM
What do you mean by "A black guy"?. :stirpot::thumbsup:

A large dark skinned man getting into an old Crown Vic, speaking in slang.

Jonas McFeely
08-27-07, 11:09 PM
Why not man? That would be badass!

Maybe, if i need any Cadillac stuff. Anything i could go there for?

Destroyer
08-27-07, 11:39 PM
A large dark skinned man getting into an old Crown Vic, speaking in slang.
Roger that. I just thought we weren't supposed to notice a persons skin color anymore cause its not politically correct.:canttalk:

Jonas McFeely
08-27-07, 11:52 PM
Roger that. I just thought we weren't supposed to notice a persons skin color anymore cause its not politically correct.:canttalk:

Dont get me started on that whole subject...:canttalk::thehand::bigroll:

77CDV
08-28-07, 12:18 PM
Maybe, if i need any Cadillac stuff. Anything i could go there for?
If they're anything like the dealer near me, you'll be lucky to get an oil change out of them. Beyond that, I doubt any of their tech would know what to do with a 68. There's no place to plug in their whiz-bang diagnose-it computer.:confused::thepan:

CaddyChillin77777
09-02-07, 08:02 PM
go for it. a caddy is a caddy.

mharker
09-03-07, 10:40 PM
Where's the pics already??? I scrolled through 10 pages and nuthin!!!

robs42
09-04-07, 12:27 PM
yes, yes and yes...
out,
tucci

Jonas McFeely
09-06-07, 08:05 PM
Where's the pics already??? I scrolled through 10 pages and nuthin!!!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1985-deville-fleetwood-1985/114635-finally-pics-68-a.html

ShokleyMobile1972
09-20-07, 12:48 AM
Yes, those are the best. Just make sure the heads are rebuild for unleaded gasoline.