: Attn: former M-B, BMW and Audi owners.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-06-07, 01:32 PM
Yesterday, my parents told me I should buy a new car pretty soon (within a year or so), and I jokingly said something about getting a Mercedes (I've always wanted an older S Class, W140 or W126) and they didn't scoff at that or shoot it down like they've done before, they know that I work long hours and make good money now, so those cars are coming into my realm now.

Anyways, there are a few german luxury cars I've got on my mind:
-E38 BMW 7 Series
-E39 BMW 5 Series
-W140 Benz S Class
-First Generation A8

Otherwise, I kinda like the A6 and pre 1996 E Class, but those are getting old now. I thought about the A4 and 3 Series also, but I like cars with lots of room for 4, and I've ridden in an A4 before (1998 1.8T sedan) and there's no room in the backseat, and the last generation 3 Series was better, but not totally up to my level ( I've been spoiled by these large sedans :O ).

Anyways, what can you all recommend? Are the maintenance and repair costs really as high as everyone says they are? Can a backyard mechanic do a good amount of the work at home, or is it all tough and strange to do?

pabstcadillac
08-06-07, 02:22 PM
I suggest a Cadillac since this is a Cadillac forum & they are after all the standard of the world. :alchi:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-06-07, 04:31 PM
That's the most logical choice if I stay with a luxury car, but to be honest, the only Cadillacs from the time frame I'm looking at (post 2000) that I like is the 00-02 Eldorado and 00-03 Seville and 04 SLS. And If I get a Northstar Cadillac, I need an extended service contract or it's gotta be a Cadillac certified used vehicle. My main concern with that is "will Cadillac certify a vehicle that's 4-5 years old now?" And "can I get an extended service contract from a dealer on a car that's 4-5 years old minimum?"

The only newer Lincoln I like is the Mark VIII, and those are getting up there in years/mileage now.

I've always wanted a german luxury car, there's just something about that German (over) engineering, brand heritage and the cleaner, more sterile luxury they always seem to have. I just don't know if I'm ready for the repair and maintance costs.

Jesda
08-06-07, 04:54 PM
From what you listed, the 97+ E38 (newer engine and tranny) is a good pick. E39 too, but its like a less sport but not much more roomy 3-series.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-06-07, 04:57 PM
Thanks Jesda, you've had one of the older 5 Series (E??), so you've got prior experience with BMW. Now you told me that the BMW's made in that era (late '80s, early '90s) were much simpler to own and much more "BMW pure" to drive than the newer ones. By "newer" do you mean the Bangle BMW's or the ones that came right before it? I've heard lots of great feedback about the E46, E39 and E38, so I'd assume those are great cars to own and drive.

Blackout
08-06-07, 04:59 PM
Are the maintenance and repair costs really as high as everyone says they are?Yes and yes. Anything with the term "luxury" in it automatically makes it expensive to work on.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-06-07, 05:18 PM
Yeah, but is it a lot more than Cadillac's repair and maintenance costs?

Jesda
08-06-07, 05:29 PM
BMWs from the 80s and 90s rock the earth. Mechanically logical, parts reasonably priced, and clean sporty styling. No foofy crap, no BS, just a damn fine way to travel. I had an E34 and loved it. Just avoid the V8s with nikasil blocks.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-06-07, 05:37 PM
Nikasil....1995-96 7 Series only? Jaguar had a problem with those too right?

96Fleetwood
08-06-07, 05:41 PM
Very Very Very expensive... been there and done that with my 944 S2, Passat, and 560 SEL. I won't own another high end German car till I make very good money.

For example... to fix the leaky leveling suspension in my 560 SEL cost more than my Caprice wagon :eek:

Blackout
08-06-07, 07:17 PM
Yeah, but is it a lot more than Cadillac's repair and maintenance costs?Honestly I don't know. I've never had to get work done on a Caddy yet so I have no idea as to how much work costs for Caddy's. As for German any damn thing you will be paying a decent amount more then you would for a domestic and German products are notorious (especially VW's) for shitty wiring and wiring problems

Jesda
08-06-07, 07:28 PM
Maintenance costs depend on the brand and model. Some are dirt cheap, some are nightmarishly pricey.

96Fleetwood
08-06-07, 07:56 PM
Maintenance costs depend on the brand and model. Some are dirt cheap, some are nightmarishly pricey.

And the models he mentioned are not cheap...

Night Wolf
08-06-07, 08:10 PM
Why would your parents tell you its time for a new car?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-06-07, 08:10 PM
Do the dealer/manufacturer recommended maintenance costs increase depending on what type of vehicle you own? Like A4 v. A6 v. A8? Obviously the flagship models will be the most expensive models to own in the long run, because they've got more things on them that could possibly go bad and need repair.

I like Audis (and to a lesser extent, VW's), but I'd probably steer clear of them due to all the electrical/wiring problems that I've heard/read they have.

Why would your parents tell you its time for a new car?

They don't like owning/driving older cars.

As far as I can remember, my parents have owned newer cars, especially my mom. When I was born (1987), my mom had an '83 Oldsmobile Firenza that she bought new, and my dad had a '66 Chevelle he bought in 1974, and he owned that up until 1991, but my dad used to have a love for fun/fast cars. Not anymore. After that, they bought an '89 Taurus LX in 1991 or '92 and that, along with the Firenza, got hit and totaled in the summer of '94, and then my dad got an '86 Chevy Celebrity and my mom got a 1991 Mazda 626, then the Celebrity was sold in March of '98 when they bought a '97 Lumina. Come summer of '05, the Mazda was hit head on and that was totaled, literally two weeks after my mom ordered her brand new '05 Highlander, then my dad took her Lumina, and he's still got that, but he wants to get either a Magnum R/T or Mazda 6 V6 next year possibly.

So I know it's quite different from your parents, but yeah, that's my family. Their beliefs regarding cars aren't the same as mine, and it kinda sucks, but I make do with it. You've got the cool parents in regards to what you can and can't drive, and how many cars you can own at one time.

On a related note: I wonder if it'd be cheaper to own (and that's taking into consideration gas, repair costs, maintenance costs and insurance) a '70s landyacht or a high end European luxury sedan. Aside from the initial purchase costs, my thoughts are the landyacht would be cheaper to own in the long run, even though they're such pigs. And the landyacht would be MUCH cheaper to get into, unless I was to find a super low mileage showroom condition car, and I wouldn't want that so much.

Jonas McFeely
08-06-07, 08:42 PM
STAY AWAY FROM KRAUT MOBILES.

I have driven every single used Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and Volkswagen from the '90s. They are dog shit. Every last one of them. This is coming from someone who loves imports too. German cars are just plain garbage. BMW's and VW's being the worst. Mercedes next and Audis were decent at best. They do not age well at all. And repairs will be LOL. I dont know what it is. But i would not bullshit you. I HATED driving them, hold for an '05 SL500 and '06 550i. DO NOT buy ANY German car from the 80's or 90's. You will regret it.

Only other cars that gave us as much shit as German cars were Chrysler products.

Only one i would ever consider would be a mid-'90's S500 or S600, but that would be shot down by the thought of repairing it.

Friend to friend: Stay away.

96Fleetwood
08-06-07, 08:52 PM
German cars are just plain garbage.

Man oh man... are you making this stuff up?? You havent stepped into a S class or 7 series... let alone sniffed the leather on a older benz. I have been around the car scene since I was a toddler, going to car auctions all over the east coast and midwest with my Father since I was 9 years old and I can honestly say German cars are built very well.. might not be the most reliable, but there is a reason they make some of the top vehicles out there. I would love to own a E30 M3 or a E36 '95 OBDI M3... but I just do not have the funds to keep a car like that going at the moment, especially because I would AutoX/Road Race it every weekend.....

To call all German cars garbage is just ignorance, but to each his own.

You have to have the $$ to play with the big boys, so with the expensive cars come expensive repairs.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-06-07, 09:10 PM
I think most jap cars are garbage, but for different reasons.

Jonas McFeely
08-06-07, 09:46 PM
Man oh man... are you making this stuff up?? You havent stepped into a S class or 7 series... let alone sniffed the leather on a older benz. I have been around the car scene since I was a toddler, going to car auctions all over the east coast and midwest with my Father since I was 9 years old and I can honestly say German cars are built very well.. might not be the most reliable, but there is a reason they make some of the top vehicles out there. I would love to own a E30 M3 or a E36 '95 OBDI M3... but I just do not have the funds to keep a car like that going at the moment, especially because I would AutoX/Road Race it every weekend.....

You have to have the $$ to play with the big boys, so with the expensive cars come expensive repairs.

I have driven many S Class Mercedes and 7 Series BMW's. The leather in all German cars smells like rotting ass. Its disgusting. And the cars were crap. Plain and simple. Garbage. Solid? Yes. thats it. I know my cars and have been raised around them my whole life, and spent a quite a bit of time working at an auction, driving 50+ different cars a day. Sometimes getting a few on the highway. I know what im talking about. I have experienced these cars first hand.

Its not ignorance if its what ive personally experienced. Its ignorance if i have never driven said cars and was running my mouth about something i knew nothing about. You just disagree. Thats fine.

German cars are still garbage in my opinion.

Jesda
08-06-07, 10:40 PM
LOL...

Anyway, BMWs from the 90s are generally very trouble free. The automatics are even built by GM Europe. Just avoid nikasil blocks and enjoy the ride (and the handling!!!!). I dont know what your budget is, but I'd go for a W124 MB. You can get them with a V8, but the SOHC 3.0 and 3.2 are perfectly sufficient. My dad has a gorgeous 95, and its needed some diff bushings replaced. Nothing too serious.

I sold my E34 with 230k in excellent running condition, made a nice profit.

Destroyer
08-06-07, 11:59 PM
Chad, in all honesty the W140 Mercedes were great cars. A great driving experience even with the 3.2 litre motor. I've owned many cars and can honestly say there are few cars that make you feel better and more successful than a W140. I sold mine because the general consesus in MB forums are that Lexus products are better and more reliable. My Mercedes was virtually flawless in my 2 years of ownership but when I read what others are spending to keep their's in good working order........its insane. I miss mine but not that much cause I dont get very attached to cars plus the money I got for that paid for both my Mark VIII's and my Chevy conversion van. If I were you I'd buy something with a good track record for reliability, like a Mark VIII or a Chevy powered Cadillac. I would avoid high end German cars and any Cadillac with a Northstar. At least the Mercedes feels like a real car though, a Northstart Cadillac on the other hand doesn't feel very substantial in the first place and I'm convinced it takes more to maintain a Northstar Cadillac than it does to take care of ANY Mercedes. I think a Lincoln Mark VIII would serve you well and wont break the wallet to buy. I have decided to sell my '95, not cause I dont like it or that its not reliable cause its a car I feel I can drive anywhere at anytime but I'm looking to get back into drag racing so I'm in the market for a drag car(toy). If you are interested I'll give you a great deal. :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-07-07, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the offer and advice Nick, but I'm not in the market right now (not yet.....)

I've always wanted a W140, but I think I'm still a bit young to own one. I can't really see anyone less than 30 behind the wheel of one of these, or I've gotta be a managerial/office type, and I'm not.

I've gotta go out and test drive some of these soon, maybe I will on Friday. I looked at a S420 once, but they didn't let me drive in it, and IIRC, I didnt' even sit in it! It was at one of the Twin Cities M-B/BMW/Audi/Porsche dealers and I wasn't surprised at all that they didn't let me drive it. I checked autotrader again today and there are a few more for sale in my area, and some of them are at used car lots now, and they're usually a lot less strict about letting customers test drive cars. Maybe I'll have better luck then.

derrty_deville
08-07-07, 01:47 AM
Wait a minute, the guy rolling around in a mid 90's Lumina that is your father is telling you you should get a newer car? Especially with the money that has been put into your car and the condition its in you should be fine for a few years at least.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-07-07, 01:54 AM
Yeah, lol, but he doesn't like that car, and wants to get something newer, but can't right now because my mom's gotta pay off her Highlander and then we've gotta get a new driveway installed before he gets his new car. And for as nice as my car looks and drives, it needs work.

Lord Cadillac
08-07-07, 03:12 AM
I love those old Mercedes S-Class', but they're getting older every year and I'll probably never own one. The idea of not having a warranty is just too scary. Maybe one day if I'm wealthy. :p

I know it's also getting older - but if you like big cars, consider the 1996 Fleetwood Brougham.

The E39 manages to still look nice to me.. However, the E38 looks very dated for one reason or another. The Audi's not a bad choice.. I'd just be a little worried about the maintenance costs.. If you're going to have a car without a warranty, make sure you can either fix it yourself or repairs are not very expensive. Honestly, maybe you should just bite the bullet and live without a luxury car for a little while.

I made the mistake of buying a 1987 Corvette several years ago - and in the few months I owned it, it costed me $5000.00 out of pocket - and it still never ran right. I'd imagine an old technology 1987 Corvette probably costs less to maintain than a highly complex top-tier foreign luxury car. Especially one called "The Ultimate Driving Machine".

Night Wolf
08-07-07, 07:07 AM
They don't like owning/driving older cars.

So I know it's quite different from your parents, but yeah, that's my family. Their beliefs regarding cars aren't the same as mine, and it kinda sucks, but I make do with it. You've got the cool parents in regards to what you can and can't drive, and how many cars you can own at one time.

Personally, unless they were going to buy you the car, I woudln't let their opinion bother me.... I know its your parents and all, but right now you have a good running, reliable car, that is paid off, and to go into debt for a newer car?.... at this point in life, just dosn't make sense.... I know in the past you were as close as could be to getting a new car, but it seems to me like that is from being persuaded into thinking your car isn't good or too old (either by family or co-workers)

What do YOU want? If you are tired of your car and want to get another car, then thats one thing, but being pushed into getting a new car is something else.... and I know with loans and all that fun stuff, you can get a nice car for a low monthly figure.... but you are paying alot of interest.

Personally, I'd keep the DeVille, and maintain it, until something major happens, or you can truely afford a newer car. You've had it a few years and put what? 40k miles on it? From what you've said in the past you haven't had to do much work to it either. With these cars being known to go well over 200k miles, I'd say you should be alright.

If you think that you will be looking for a new car in a year or so from now.... start saving up now.... whatever you think a monthly payment would be, maybe $300? save it away now... see how you can handle the monthly payment, plus you would have that much more in cash later.

I dunno, maybe its just the practical side of me.... I know I went and got another car, which I owe a low amount of money on right now, but all I had at the time was my '94 Isuzu Amigo, and I do a 1,000 mile trip usually every 2 weeks.... wasn't the best vehicle choice for that trip. But still, I just hate the idea of being in debt.

Heh, also.... now that I am on my own..... my parents don't have a say in how many cars I can have.... my future wife does :) Ah well....

Night Wolf
08-07-07, 07:18 AM
As for Benz.... personally I am really fond of the W126, especially the last couple years when they got really nice.... and.... I'd want one with a turbo diesel please :) 360SD or something? I dunno.

Personally I like VW, my friend is really into them... got me interested in them, and I would get one. He first drove a '98 Jetta 2.0 auto, it was his dads, but he used it... I've driven that car over the years a few times, and liked it, the automatic in it was a POS though and never shifted right. Its since been sold.

Then his first car was a '94 Jetta 2.0 5spd. Thats the car I learned to drive a manual on, I worked on that car a bit and got some good driving time in it... I must say, I liked that car too.

His new car (2 years ago) is a '01 Jetta 1.8T, 5spd.... that is a really nice car, I like it alot, the enigne is pretty peppy, the transmission was smooth.... it was a really fun car to drive, the gauges and dash looked awesome at night. I do like that car, and because of my obsession with diesels, I wouldn't mind owning a Jetta TDI 5spd of that generation someday. He has put alot of miles on that car, over 30k I know, he commutes alot.... when we talk I ask him how its doing, he says it hasn't needed anything done to it, he bought it with ~80k or so on it.

BMW never really appealed to me too much excpet a ~2001 330I or CI? I dunno, the 2-door that had really nice styling without shouting I bump to techno while showing off.

Audi.... the luxury VW... I dunno, never really gave much thought into.... personally, I am not fond of the styling... they look "nice" but they don't have any real aggressive, or upscale luxury styling... both of which appeal to me.

70eldo
08-07-07, 07:20 AM
blabla...

just go CTS, ok?
Then we stop mocking you on the German cars :D

Night Wolf
08-07-07, 07:47 AM
I saw pictures of the '08 CTS inside and out....

DAMN..... If gasoline is still around in 10 years, I want one of those! :)

96Fleetwood
08-07-07, 08:08 AM
What is your budget?

If it is anywhere from $6-13K... you can buy a super clean '96 Fleetwood and tune it up a bit ;)

As for the W126, the 350 SD/SDL had some issues that the previous non turbo model did not.

The 420 is cheaper to maintain than the 560, but is still very $$$

The only w126 I would recommend at your age and budget is a 300 SE or 300 SEL, they have a bulletproof motor that is shared with the cheaper MB line and is a good workhorse.

As for Audi or VW... well just watch out for the turbo, timing chains, falling windows, bad abs and airbag sensors, etc.

Whatever you get, get a good deal on it in case you don't like it and want to sell it and can make a few $$$

Let me know if you need any help, I still have access to all the auction lists.

Jonas McFeely
08-07-07, 09:08 AM
Personally, unless they were going to buy you the car, I woudln't let their opinion bother me.... I know its your parents and all, but right now you have a good running, reliable car, that is paid off, and to go into debt for a newer car?.... at this point in life, just dosn't make sense.... I know in the past you were as close as could be to getting a new car, but it seems to me like that is from being persuaded into thinking your car isn't good or too old (either by family or co-workers)

What do YOU want? If you are tired of your car and want to get another car, then thats one thing, but being pushed into getting a new car is something else.... and I know with loans and all that fun stuff, you can get a nice car for a low monthly figure.... but you are paying alot of interest.

Personally, I'd keep the DeVille, and maintain it, until something major happens, or you can truely afford a newer car. You've had it a few years and put what? 40k miles on it? From what you've said in the past you haven't had to do much work to it either. With these cars being known to go well over 200k miles, I'd say you should be alright.

If you think that you will be looking for a new car in a year or so from now.... start saving up now.... whatever you think a monthly payment would be, maybe $300? save it away now... see how you can handle the monthly payment, plus you would have that much more in cash later.

I dunno, maybe its just the practical side of me.... I know I went and got another car, which I owe a low amount of money on right now, but all I had at the time was my '94 Isuzu Amigo, and I do a 1,000 mile trip usually every 2 weeks.... wasn't the best vehicle choice for that trip. But still, I just hate the idea of being in debt.

Heh, also.... now that I am on my own..... my parents don't have a say in how many cars I can have.... my future wife does :) Ah well....

Points!

I just think he's bored with his Deville and is thinking about becoming a traitor. Dont do it Chad.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-07-07, 01:14 PM
I still like my car, quite a bit actually, but I'm always open for something new, as long as it's something that I get to choose, and with my dad's comment, I see it as an opportunity to get something new and have fun with that.

I don't like debt either, but it's a part of life and I need it to build credit.

I'm not looking to get into anything soon, and frankly I think my car can last me a few more years, and maybe my dad was just sorta kidding around when he said that. Maybe I'll ask him how serious he was when I get home tonight.

96Fleetwood
08-07-07, 02:34 PM
Way to go Chad, you are such a tease.... :thehand:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-07-07, 03:02 PM
LOL, yep. I'm the carwhore.

I'll still go out and look around and keep my options open, but I'm not seriously in the market yet. Truly, I'd like to get a Mark IV Continental as the second car and leave my '92 as the DD/Winter car. And if something happened and I needed to get into a loan and have a good down payment, I'm available now to do so.

96Fleetwood
08-07-07, 03:25 PM
LOL, yep. I'm the carwhore.

wannabe carwhore? :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-07-07, 03:52 PM
wannabe carwhore? :thumbsup:

Somethin' like that.

Night Wolf
08-07-07, 05:10 PM
What is your budget?

If it is anywhere from $6-13K... you can buy a super clean '96 Fleetwood and tune it up a bit ;)

As for the W126, the 350 SD/SDL had some issues that the previous non turbo model did not.

The 420 is cheaper to maintain than the 560, but is still very $$$

The only w126 I would recommend at your age and budget is a 300 SE or 300 SEL, they have a bulletproof motor that is shared with the cheaper MB line and is a good workhorse.

As for Audi or VW... well just watch out for the turbo, timing chains, falling windows, bad abs and airbag sensors, etc.

Whatever you get, get a good deal on it in case you don't like it and want to sell it and can make a few $$$

Let me know if you need any help, I still have access to all the auction lists.

So in your opinion, the 300SE/300SEL is the best W126? What is the difference between the two?

Like I said in the past, personally I like diesels alot, and one in a car is really neat, plus I've heard those diesel Benz's get pretty good fuel mileage on the highway...... I remember in the past I did some reaserach on them, but the gasoline enigne is alot more reliable?

96Fleetwood
08-07-07, 05:19 PM
The 300 SDL was very reliable, the 350 SDL is where some problems were encountered.

I would go with the 300 SE/SEL just because you get the power of a gasoline motor and the reliability. Not to mention the 300 model w126 did not have the hydraulic suspension or some of the electronics found in the 420/560.

If you can deal with the turtle like power the 300 SD/SDL provide, they are awesome workhorses.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-07-07, 05:31 PM
So in your opinion, the 300SE/300SEL is the best W126? What is the difference between the two?

Length. The L means it's the elongated wheelbase.

Hydraulic suspensions on these? Ya gotta be shittin' me!

Adam
08-07-07, 05:39 PM
Chad, why not a C4 Vette?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-07-07, 05:43 PM
It'd be fun, but I want another luxury car. I'll have a C4 when I can afford to have more than one car.

96Fleetwood
08-07-07, 06:01 PM
It'd be fun, but I want another luxury car. I'll have a C4 when I can afford to have more than one car.

And by that time you will have kids... so you will have to wait till you have put them through college and have a few years left :(. J/K

Start investing early! Although I just lost $10K when the market crashed 2 weeks ago :rant2:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-07-07, 06:05 PM
Hah, me having kids. God's idea of a practical joke.

Night Wolf
08-07-07, 06:28 PM
The 300 SDL was very reliable, the 350 SDL is where some problems were encountered.

I would go with the 300 SE/SEL just because you get the power of a gasoline motor and the reliability. Not to mention the 300 model w126 did not have the hydraulic suspension or some of the electronics found in the 420/560.

If you can deal with the turtle like power the 300 SD/SDL provide, they are awesome workhorses.

turtle like power from a 300SD...... all that much worse then my 307 Brougham?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-07-07, 07:20 PM
turtle like power from a 300SD...... all that much worse then my 307 Brougham?

FWIW, In the W140 brochures I have, they quote the 0-60 times for the W140 diesel in the mid 12 second range.

Jonas McFeely
08-07-07, 07:32 PM
FWIW, In the W140 brochures I have, they quote the 0-60 times for the W140 diesel in the mid 12 second range.

I am so racing the next one i see. Or at least trying to. My buddy has a mint condition '83 300D, but i doubt he would race me.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-07-07, 07:51 PM
I raced an '89 560SEL once. Lost by a pretty good margin.

96Fleetwood
08-07-07, 08:07 PM

w140 diesel was the 350 SD/SDL. Turbo charged 3.5 liter.

I had a '89 560 SEL with 129,000 miles. It was quick, but only in the higher gears. It was a autobahn cruiser with options far advanced for the era.

Adam
08-07-07, 09:41 PM

I wish I would have got one a couple years ago when the prices of them were around 5-8k. Now I don't see them under 10. Well... its rare seeing them that low around here anyway.

Jonas McFeely
08-07-07, 10:02 PM
I wish I would have got one a couple years ago when the prices of them were around 5-8k. Now I don't see them under 10. Well... its rare seeing them that low around here anyway.

Dude if you want a cheap Vette, look in Florida. We have many Corvetter-only dealerships here in Central Florida. Buy a Corvette/Chevy trader. Cheap Vettes are not hard to find. There are countless C5's for WELL under $20k. They are dirt cheap. I probably see 15 or 20 Corvettes a day. Saw two C5 Z06's today.Seriously. They are everywhere.

Destroyer
08-07-07, 10:08 PM
And by that time you will have kids... so you will have to wait till you have put them through college and have a few years left :(. J/K

No, actually you think you are kidding but you are NOT.:alchi:

Playdrv4me
08-07-07, 11:06 PM
Yesterday, my parents told me I should buy a new car pretty soon (within a year or so), and I jokingly said something about getting a Mercedes (I've always wanted an older S Class, W140 or W126) and they didn't scoff at that or shoot it down like they've done before, they know that I work long hours and make good money now, so those cars are coming into my realm now.

Anyways, there are a few german luxury cars I've got on my mind:
-E38 BMW 7 Series
-E39 BMW 5 Series
-W140 Benz S Class
-First Generation A8

Otherwise, I kinda like the A6 and pre 1996 E Class, but those are getting old now. I thought about the A4 and 3 Series also, but I like cars with lots of room for 4, and I've ridden in an A4 before (1998 1.8T sedan) and there's no room in the backseat, and the last generation 3 Series was better, but not totally up to my level ( I've been spoiled by these large sedans :O ).

Anyways, what can you all recommend? Are the maintenance and repair costs really as high as everyone says they are? Can a backyard mechanic do a good amount of the work at home, or is it all tough and strange to do?

The only E38 with a Nikasil block is the 1995 740i and iL with the 4.0L motor. In 1996 they re-engineered the motor and upped displacement to 4.4L and began using exclusively alusil blocks. Jesda has mentioned that in 97 they received an updated transmission, I have not verified this, but I'll take his word for it as he follows BMW stuff semi-closely.

Of the choices you mentioned, and fine cars they are, I would strongly recommend the E38 or the E39. If you get a 95 E38 (they are bargains due to the Nikasil fears), make sure it has been warranty upgraded to the ALUSIL block. Many cars approaching 100k miles were taken in on warranty claims right near the end of the warranty period giving you basically an engine with less than HALF the life of the car.

However, if you can get over the size issue, and can afford an E46... DO NOT HESITATE to get one. By and large, the E46 is the finest volume car BMW, or really any german marque, has ever produced. It is one of those cars that just hit the mark in every way. It is not by sheer consequence that just about every single entry luxury vehicle, almost annoyingly so, is measured by the standards of the 3 Series BMW. And it doesnt matter WHAT motor you get, 99-2000 had 2.5 and 2.8L (323 and 328), 2001 and up had the legendary 3.0L (330) and a power upped version of the 2.5 (325) and of course the venerable M3. They are ALL an absolute joy to drive and own. I miss the crazy high-revving personality and sheer fun of tossing them about every time I get behind the wheel of one of my huge luxo-cruisers... but unfortunately I cant really drive something in that size category short of an M3. Many 5 Series owners have been known to take their cars back and get another 3 Series after "upgrading". Most dealers knew it wasnt much of an upgrade.

Maintenance costs? We've owned enough BMWs to know a little about this. I can tell you that by far my BMW's have been LESS costly to maintain than any of my Cadillacs have been. The only major item I EVER needed replaced on any of my BMW's (and we've owned a 1995 750iL with the V12 no less, more 3 Series than I can count, and my brother currently has a 2002 X5 4.6iS with a high compression high power V8) was a rear end that was covered under warranty for whining on my 2001 330i, which was an otherwise flawless car. At worst I'd say they are on PAR with Cadillac in maintenance costs. We've covered this time and again, a luxury car is a luxury car, and theres a reason they depreciate rapidly as they get older, they ALL need maintenance... so your best bet is to get something with a documented service history.

Just as the weakpoint of Cadillac is the Northstar Headgasket issues, BMW's weakpoint is HEATER HOSE CONNECTIONS. Ironically, both problems end up with the same potential result, but the BMW issue is alot cheaper to fix if caught early. This is probably actually true of alot of different brands these days, but BMW seems particularly vulnerable to brittle and failing heater hose ends. This will cause the motor to RAPIDLY overheat if one of these connections fails, and damage usually occurs unless you can get the engine turned off QUICKLY. The most important component of BMW's Inspection II service, is the checking of the heater hose connections. Any independent mechanic can perform the Inspection II items by the way. They include engine oil and filter, air filter, body and chassis overall inspection, coolant change, inspection of the brake linings, and inspection of the heater hose connections. It's only the idiots who walk into the dealership and pay 600.00 for this type of thing which inflates repair cost perceptions. You just have to be studious about what you're looking to buy and how to maintain it.

Now, on the other side of the spectrum... If Cadillac problems scare you... stay far far away from Mercedes, even the more reliable older ones. A/C problems galore, and lots of other issues I hope never to come across. They are beautiful cars, but I won't own one without a warranty.

Playdrv4me
08-07-07, 11:17 PM

Yea I would agree with you 100 percent. People who german bash on the basis of electrical gremlins or "shitty 90s models" are just out of step with the times.

Also, another thing to consider is that most people on this board who have driven 80s and 90s era MBs, BMWs and VWs were not old enough to drive when these cars were new, and probably havent driven a pristine maintained example. With all due respect, an old 350/305/etc etc Cadillac runs alot better even when not maintained and in poor condition simply because these cars are not built to the tight tolerances of your average german car. This is why you can also tell a BMW thats been in an accident 5 minutes after driving it. Those cars are wound so tight that any deviation from factory spec turns them into shitpiles. For example, I still love the W126 S Class even THOUGH, the EXAMPLE I OWNED was a complete pile of shit. I had a 1987 560SEC with 137k on it a couple of years ago. That was a learning experience, the thing had all kinds of rust, it ran but barely, overheated and finally blew the radiator. I can not call that car a piece of shit simply because it wasnt maintained. The only thing that 90s BMW's have to apologize for (excluding the 95 and up 7 and the 97 and up 5) is the poor quality of some of the interior materials that delaminate and dry out over time. That is it.

So yes, by all means be prepared to spend $$ for a pristine car if youre getting an 80s or 90s one, with PLENTY of documented service history. If were talking about a 2000 plus anything, its less important. However the irony is the newer Mercedes are the absolute worst most unreliable german cars ever produced, and thats even behind Volkswagen. Im talking 2000 and up.

I am absolutely anal about any german car I buy, moreso than american or japanese. I wont touch anything repainted, anything with a dirty interior, anything with coolant smells or steering noises. Nothing, period. Why? Because those cars are typically abused and poorly maintained. And then you run into the problems people typically blame on just being a shitty brand.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-08-07, 12:04 AM
Wow, thanks for the input Ian. I knew it was gonna be golden, as you're the resident BMW man.

Playdrv4me
08-08-07, 12:23 AM
No prob, I haven't seen Zorb750 or Leloz comment. They are a couple more of our resident BMW and MB experts.

Night Wolf
08-08-07, 05:49 AM
I enjoy reading all this :)

I work with a guy that is 50 and travels the world quite often... has plenty of experience being in all other contries. We talk about cars alot... its interesting he notes that in Europe, BMW isn't really thought much of, they are just an average car used for taxi's and police cars.... meanwhile here, BMW is considered one of the best.... he was also saying how much they love American cars, especially the classics, Owning a Buick in China means you've really made it, in Saudi Arabia the vehicle of choice is a Surburban, 454 and all etc....

Then in the US, nobody cares about these cars and the rage is all the imports.

Ah well, after hearing all that about the German cars..... in comparison, for good or bad, Ameircan cars really can take quite a beating and keep on going without much complaint... although cars in this contry are not maintained nearly as well as they should be.

96Fleetwood
08-08-07, 08:02 AM
No prob, I haven't seen Zorb750 or Leloz comment. They are a couple more of our resident BMW and MB experts.

Sent you a PM

96Fleetwood
08-08-07, 08:04 AM
Then in the US, nobody cares about these cars and the rage is all the imports.

My Grandfather still lives overseas and he has us ship him a new DTS every 3 years, I can honestly say it does not hold up as well as his older Mercedes because the roads there are not as flat and forgiving as the roads here in the USA. But what you mentioned is true, he is admired because he has a Cadillac as opposed to one of the German makes.

Night Wolf
08-11-07, 02:17 AM
Well, my friend called me up to tell me he is getting a new car.... no more Jetta.... I was quite surprised.

I asked why, he said because it is becoming a money pit....

He said it needed new rear tires, and rear brakes.... pads, rotors and calipers all at once.... said the calipers were frozen, and they were $200 each... said that was $1,100.

Then he said he was driving and the battery light came on, so he thought he needed a new battery, so he got one, but the light was still on... then 3 days later the engine died and left him on the side of the highway...... said the alternator was shot.... $400 for that.

Then he said now the water pump went out, and that was it, he is done with it.

I asked how many miles, he said 120k, he got it with 83k... I said most all of that is normal stuff for a car this age... he said he dosn't want to wait around for the next thing to go....

So he is getting a 1999 Saab 9-5, 100k, 5spd, said its fully loaded with leather and stuff.... like $5k... he seems excited about it.

I'm kinda sad tho, cause I did like that car... and those gauges at night.... ah well....

Jesda
08-11-07, 03:07 AM
Volkswagens blow. They're like the MOPARs of Germany. I dig Saabs, even if no one else cares for them.

Night Wolf
08-11-07, 03:35 AM
I was looking at pictures of 1999 9-5's...

I dunno nothing appeals to me about them... the dash is the same Saab style they've had forever, that I don't particulary like, the gauges are really plain and boring... and its weird... door panels are bland, all the power window switches are on the center consol (whats the point?) as well as the ignition... which is kinda neat... but... eh...

I dunno, hoepfully I'll get a chance to look at it some time... hes still in NY. I know Saab is a like or hate thing... alot of people seem to like them tho.

Playdrv4me
08-11-07, 08:44 PM
Malibu based car... 'nuff said.

77CDV
08-11-07, 10:11 PM
Chad,

Since everyone else has chimed in, I suppose I'll have a go, too. If the only reason you're buying a newer car is just to do it, don't. At your age, you should be putting the money toward either your education or, if you're not in school, saving up for your own place so you aren't the 30-year-old guy living in his parent's basement. Angie is running well from what I can gather, and just about anything that goes wrong short of catastrophic failure can be easily and relatively inexpensively remedied. You have a very nice older Cadillac that you've maintained to a good level. Stick with the DeVille you know instead of taking on someone else's problems and the payments to boot. If Angie had major mechanical or electrical difficulties where the repair cost was prohibitive, or you knew she was developing a fatal problem, that's a whole other story and it's why I ditched my 77 SDV. Otherwise, at your stage in life, keep a good asset and build rather than needlessly pissing it all away for a lark.

Just my cogitations.

Craig

Night Wolf
08-11-07, 11:34 PM
Chad,

Since everyone else has chimed in, I suppose I'll have a go, too. If the only reason you're buying a newer car is just to do it, don't. At your age, you should be putting the money toward either your education or, if you're not in school, saving up for your own place so you aren't the 30-year-old guy living in his parent's basement. Angie is running well from what I can gather, and just about anything that goes wrong short of catastrophic failure can be easily and relatively inexpensively remedied. You have a very nice older Cadillac that you've maintained to a good level. Stick with the DeVille you know instead of taking on someone else's problems and the payments to boot. If Angie had major mechanical or electrical difficulties where the repair cost was prohibitive, or you knew she was developing a fatal problem, that's a whole other story and it's why I ditched my 77 SDV. Otherwise, at your stage in life, keep a good asset and build rather than needlessly pissing it all away for a lark.

Just my cogitations.

Craig

Thats the same thing I've said, and I am sure others feel the same way, just not bothering to reply. But he seems pretty set on getting a new, expensive car.... or atleast pushed hard by his parents (to get out of an "old" car)...

You just fixed the front of the car from your guardrail thing, so it dosn't look like a busted up old car anymore, it still looks like a nice. older, daily driven Caddy....

It's got what? 120k on it? That still isn't much, and normal things will break, and continue to break, thats just how owning a car, much less an older car is... but... there is no car payment, and parts/work on this car isn't all that bad.

See, with normal maintenace (oil changes and coolant changes) the 4.9 is pretty much set for ever.... the weak part of the entire car, mechanically, is the transmission... which seem to go, worst case, at 130k, most seem to go around 180, and if maintained and not abused, alot make it 200k+ or even 250k....

How I see it... an average '92 Sedan DeVille dosn't have much of a retail value right now, and it'll be even less... and the difference between an average condition car to a mint condition car, costwise, is minimal at best...

Basically, if you were to sell your car now, what you would get for it now, vs... say in 2 years with more miles and use on it... is negligable... maybe $2,500 now and $2,000, if that, in 2 years?

Worst case, if the car has 120k now, and the trans decides to crap out at 150k (shouldn't but never know) that is 30k miles of use... or, at an average of 15k/year, that is 2 years..... 2 years of driving a car every day is a good time on a car that you've had for awhile that is already paid off etc...

So lets say you got $2,500 for it now, or $1,000 in a few years with a bad tranny (just saying here) That is a difference of $1,500.... or basically thats how much you "lost" by having a safe, reliable car to drive around for a few years.

What would a normal car payment be? $300/month? Set that asdie, see how you do... don't touch that money tho... and when something on your car breaks, use only that fund.... See how much money you have left over after... say... 6 months... or even a year. $300/month x 6 months = $1,800. That is alot of money, and I bet in the next 6 months, your car MAY need... maybe $300 in repair work? heck... even say $500 in work. So that means in 6 months if your car needed $300-$500 in work, that you would still have between $1,300-$1,500 saved up, that would otherwise me spent on car payments (on a car that would also need work if things break) meanwhile you are still driving around in a premium luxury car.

Thats alot of money, atleast in my eyes, and that was just in a 1-year time frame... normally you pay off a car for 3-5 years.

Personally I can't see shelling out $200+/month for 3-5 years on a car... atleast not now when I am just starting out in life... thats why I am nearly tripling the minimum credit card payment (that my car, and only my car is on) to get it paid off in just over 1 year, and thats at $200/month. Once that is paid off, I don't plan on buying another (expensive) car for quite a long time... I say expensive, because I have been looking for an old 4x4 truck to build up... but... that would be a toy, I've seen old Isuzus around for under $1,000... which would be paid in cash... not a daily driver.

I know I am kinda in the same boat buying the Town Car... but... I figured my budget, living alone, and my car was $3,500... that was actually near the upper limit of what I allowed myself to spend... and, that is still over half as cheap as the cars you are looking at.

Honestly, had I known my parents would give me the old Brougham a month later, I don't think I would have bought the Town Car... instead I would put more money and work into the Brougham to atleast make everything work again... and I would use that as my highway car. But, I already bought the Town Car, and already started putting work/money into it, so it stays. But... thats why I bought the Town Car.... because a '94 Isuzu Amigo is one of the least practical vehicles to use on a 1,000 mile trip every 2 weeks.... gas... isn't the killer, actually it would use just about the same amount of gas as the Lincoln... but... it is not as comfortable and louder (both of which aren't THAT big of an issue) lacks alot of modern convenice features.... also, the tires, which are currently needing replacement, but will be fitted with all-terrains when they are replaced.... highway use would wear a tire that is of no benifit on the highway, and I woudln't put highway tires on that anyway, because I do take it off-road from time to time.... but.... most importantly... I was concered about my safety. The Isuzu is the smallest vehicle I've ever owned, and I feel safe in it, but going 70mph, with everyone around me, including truckers going 80mph+ for 1,000 miles at a time... there is a risk of an accident, and accidents on the interstate aren't just a fender bender either.... the front and rear crash protection, and espeically the side and roll-over protection just are not there with the Amigo.... It's not a bad truck, its just how it is.... if I had to make the trip once or twice it woudln't bother me.... but, every other week is alot, and it does add up.... and I wanted a safer vehicle for the long highway trips, that is the primary reason I even got the Town Car.... then naturally my desire for another American luxury car followed and led me to the Lincoln Town Car.... but even then, a '95 Eldorado ETC, or a '97-'99 Riveria that I was close to getting.... still wanted because they were a safer vehicle for the highway driving.

a couple months ago I got a rear tire blow out on the Town Car.... hardly noticed it at 75mph... and the 225 series tires have a somewhat narrow sidewall, alteast for a luxury car.... honestly, I really wouldn't want to experience that in the Isuzu with the 265 series tires... there is alot of sidewall there, and a blow out in the rear, at 70 in the Amigo... I dunno... I just know it would have been worse then it was in the Town Car.... granted I could have a tire blow out any time while driving at any speed.... but this trip I do every 2 weeks would just increase that chance at a much higher rate.

I don't wanna harp or anything, but I agree with 77CDV.... you don't want to end up living at home forever, but hey, you've got a nice car.... No saying where I would be now, if I never moved away to go to tech school etc... living at home does save you alot of money... but thats money that I would be saving away, not buying a new, expensive car (BTW, anything near $10k to me, is an expensive car.... espeically when there are sooo many nice cars out there for $5k or less) First thing I would make sure of is, if you are done with any more school/college, make sure you've got a steady full time job, which it seems like you do... then.... either keep saving up all your money, if you like the area you are in now, and feel content there, you could have a really nice downpayment on a starter house in a couple years.... or you could always get an apartment somewhere else etc....

Because also, maybe $300, or $350/month isn't much to you living at home now, but if you have that payment for 3 years, much less 5 or something.... then... where are you going to be in 3 years? still living at home? You may be making slightly more money, but you will have a whole lot more bills, and still the same car payment (which this entire time will still need to be maintained and repaired when it breaks)

Personally, I know I coudln't afford a $300/month car payment... well, I could... but it would just strap me even more... like I said, I pay $200/month on my car, but thats cause I want the thing paid off... I could cut my payments in half, and pay $100/month on it, but then it would take me over 2 years.... in 2 years from now, I don't want to still owe money on this Town Car... not to mention all the intrest that would be adding up... I want this thing paid off in a year, hence my higher payments. But, right now money is tight... I just need to watch what I gotta spend (savings is nearly wiped out now anyway after a large recent, non-car related purchase.... ) and in a year from now, with no $200/month car payment, and a raise at work that equals about $200/month (set increase year by year... kinda like a union, but not) that is a difference of $400/month more that I would have in a year from now, vs now.... thats when I am really going to build my savings up.... I wanna own my own house in a couple years... renting stinks, its worse in an apartment complex, but still.. renting sucks..... living at home has its limitations and lack of freedom too... but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Anyway, this was just supposed to be a quick reply.... everyone probably stopped reading long ago, so I'll just end now... sorry for rambling :)

Jesda
08-12-07, 04:55 AM
Malibu based car... 'nuff said.

The press always thought of the Malibu as a nice-driving car that needed a better body and interior to be perfect.

Well, there you go.

Cadillacboy
08-12-07, 12:34 PM
You should buy W140 . :) Earlier models have some quirks like harness but still overall it would be your best buy :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-12-07, 02:28 PM
I like how much thought has been given by others as to what I should do with my life. :)

I think my A/C compressor is going. The clutch is noisy. If I buy something new now, pay quite a bit a month towards the loan (no other debts currently, except for my phone bill), I can have a nice car payed off w/ in 3 years and be able to move out into an apartment, and pay for that w/o having to worry about car troubles like I do now.

I live at home, work about 50 hours a week as a service consultant, make about $2000 a month, don't go to school anymore, have no debts except for my ~$60 a month phone bill. I've got money to play with...I'm not financially troubled anymore.

Jonas McFeely
08-12-07, 03:52 PM
I like how much thought has been given by others as to what I should do with my life. :)

I think my A/C compressor is going. The clutch is noisy. If I buy something new now, pay quite a bit a month towards the loan (no other debts currently, except for my phone bill), I can have a nice car payed off w/ in 3 years and be able to move out into an apartment, and pay for that w/o having to worry about car troubles like I do now.

I live at home, work about 50 hours a week as a service consultant, make about $2000 a month, don't go to school anymore, have no debts except for my ~$60 a month phone bill. I've got money to play with...I'm not financially troubled anymore.

Lucky bastard.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-12-07, 03:54 PM
Yeah, but on the other hand, you've got 3 awesome classic Cadillacs, including a 1968, and you live out on your own with your friends. I think YOU are the lucky bastard!

Jonas McFeely
08-12-07, 08:00 PM
Yeah, but on the other hand, you've got 3 awesome classic Cadillacs, including a 1968, and you live out on your own with your friends. I think YOU are the lucky bastard!

I'd trade it all to live at home and not have to pay bills. Living on your own has its perks. No parents bothering you, can have friends over whenever, party whenever. But with that come responsibility and you can really get stuck in a bad lifestyle.

Im trying to get a new place. I dont like living where im at. Im a clean person and i dont like to party too much during the week. My roommate has no job,no car, and doesnt lift a finger to do anything. All he does is party and not clean up after himself. It was great when i didnt have a job. but now i have to be responsible and cant get shit faced every night.

Its a real drag. I cant break the lease, and i cant stand being here. I have to tough it out til next March. Which is going to really suck.

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 08:05 PM
I'd trade it all to live at home and not have to pay bills. Living on your own has its perks. No parents bothering you, can have friends over whenever, party whenever. But with that come responsibility and you can really get stuck in a bad lifestyle.

Im trying to get a new place. I dont like living where im at. Im a clean person and i dont like to party too much during the week. My roommate has no job,no car, and doesnt lift a finger to do anything. All he does is party and not clean up after himself. It was great when i didnt have a job. but now i have to be responsible and cant get shit faced every night.

Its a real drag. I cant break the lease, and i cant stand being here. I have to tough it out til next March. Which is going to really suck.

:( Atleast you've got your responsibilities down....

as for the slob roommate.... that just stinks... come March can you afford to live without a roommate?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-12-07, 08:15 PM
I'd trade it all to live at home and not have to pay bills.

Wow, so I guess living on your own isn't all it's cracked up to be. When I go to visit my friends in Duluth, I see them living on their own, with each other and I envy that lifestyle, I wish I had that kind of freedom, but at the same time, I like not having that responsibility.

Jonas McFeely
08-12-07, 08:19 PM
:( Atleast you've got your responsibilities down....

as for the slob roommate.... that just stinks... come March can you afford to live without a roommate?

Yeah, i could swing it. It would be tight, but doable.

Wow, so I guess living on your own isn't all it's cracked up to be. When I go to visit my friends in Duluth, I see them living on their own, with each other and I envy that lifestyle, I wish I had that kind of freedom, but at the same time, I like not having that responsibility.

Dont get me wrong, living on your own is cool and fun, but when you have a roommate,especially one that cares about nothing but drinking and doing nothing all day, its rough. Shit gets old real quick.

I knew what i was getting myself into, but didnt care at the time. I dont mind living with people, it just needs to be someone that has a job and a car and doesnt party every night of the week.

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 08:24 PM
Maybe its just me, but I was never one to party at all... I don't get drunk or get rowdy with a bunch of people.

Heck, even when I lived in Clearwater and I would hang out with a group of guys from my class, we would go to a bar/pool hall to play pool... they would get me drinks, but I wouldn't drink much..... I guess cause I've always grown up with alcohol in the house, and my mom didn't have a problem with me drinking it in moderation... 2 weeks ago my step father came to visit, we got a 12 pack of Coors Light... and they've been sitting there all week, except I decided to have 1 each night for the past 2 nights (my weekend) cause otherwise they'd just be sitting there for a long time.

I probably had one of the most stree-free and unrestrictive households when I lived at home with my mom..... yet even now, I coudln't imagine living at home again... I am just so used to living alone.... I have for over 2 years now.

Jesda
08-13-07, 03:57 AM
I have so many stories involving drunken activities and behavior. They shall remain untold.

Playdrv4me
08-13-07, 11:33 AM
Chadwick, coming from a unique perspective which I will not even try to begin to explain here, I will give you the opposing advice... Enjoy life whilst you can, you are doing more than sufficiently well enough to have a modest car payment and a beautiful car. Even if you didnt, life gives us many chances to correct our past mistakes.

Bottom line, do what makes YOU happy. If you hate car payments, stay with cash cars, but myself, I dont mind them much and I like driving the flavor dujour of the day. You seem to really like the W140, so find yourself a nice one and enjoy it.

Playdrv4me
08-13-07, 11:34 AM
The press always thought of the Malibu as a nice-driving car that needed a better body and interior to be perfect.

Well, there you go.

Malibu lover.

96Fleetwood
08-13-07, 11:47 AM
So the question of the day is... which color S320 are you getting Chad? And do you want a short wheel base or LWB?

:thumbsup:

Once you get it, I have the connections in Miami to source you some nice true AMG wheels with tires.

77CDV
08-14-07, 02:07 AM
Thanks, Chad, you just made my point for me.:) Seriously, I'm not trying to tell you how to live, just giving you food for thought. You've got to live your life as you see fit, though. If you think a car like what you're contemplating fits where you want your life to be now, ok. I'd just hate to see you end up behind the 8 ball for no reason.