Cadillac Owners Forum banner

98 deville---want to install factory c.d. player......help

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  White Cat 
#1 ·
have a 98 deville and it came with just the standard am/fm/cassette........found the same unit on ebay but with a c.d. player........i'm hearing that if i went to install this unit from ebay that it would require me to go to the dealership and have them reprogram the new radio........does anyone know anything about how the changing out of factory systems is affected by the anti-theft codes????????

#2 ·
Early (92-up?) Delco "Theftlock" radios had a code that was set by the original owner or dealer and also had a 'master' code from the factory that could over-ride it. In my experience, only about half the radios I've seen from this era actually had the theftlock code enabled. If you install it and then it says "LOC" when you turn it on, then you need to either enter a code or have the dealer override it with the master code. Typical cost is either "free" or about $30, depending on dealer. There are also internet services that claim to be able to give you the unlock code for $10 or less, but I have no experience with any of them.

Later Delco Theftlock radios send a digital signal to the body control computer and verify against a check number that is tied to the VIN of the car. If you change radios, the dealer has to change the check number in the radio. Typical cost is about $75 to $90 because they have to go through their OBD-II scan computer and that's usually the minimum charge for connecting to OBD-II at the dealer. And even though it goes through the OBD-II link, apparently it uses an option that isn't available on ordinary OBD-II scan tools, only a dealer has this option. At least, I've never heard of anyone but a dealer being able to do this.

My understanding is, the switchover between the "Early" and "Newer" theftlock systems on Delco radios was about '00 or '01 but I could be mistaken on the timeframe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.