: Bulletproof LT1 Brougham

Ultra Slow
08-06-07, 12:54 AM
http://www.mcsmk8.com/94-CAD/CAR-10.JPG

Bulletproof Cadillac Fleetwood (http://www.mcsmk8.com/94-CAD/94-CAD.html)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-06-07, 01:28 AM
Wow! White on Black=Excellent!

That guy's Cadillac collection makes me emit nocturnally.

Red_October_7000
08-06-07, 02:54 AM
I am floored by those cars! floored, I tell you, floored! Incredible! Ah, that car, if it were tripple black, would be my dream. As it is, it's mind-blowing!

Night Wolf
08-06-07, 07:58 AM
Hey! long time no see! Man, its great to hear from ya.... still got the 500 Fleetwood Brougham?

Awesome car... I've always thought armored cars were really cool.

Cadillacboy
08-06-07, 08:57 AM
You've a badass car .Keep in mind I am not a white color fan ;)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-06-07, 10:23 AM
Oh wow, I didn't realize that was actually your car! My bad! Your collection has to be one of the best Cadillac collections I've ever seen. Literally every Caddy I've seen on that page is a rare model, in mint condition, and they're always desirable. Wow.

My_favorite_Brougham
08-06-07, 12:31 PM
Tell me two things:

What do you do? And how do you do that?

(And where do find such beautiful unrestored cars?)

Ultra Slow
08-06-07, 01:40 PM
Thanks everyone and thanks for the kind words. It has been a long time. I have been doing some reading around here and see some really nice cars too. Yes, I still have the 500, its doing great.

Highway Star
08-06-07, 02:18 PM
Well, that's pretty damn cool. And that is one sharp '80 Fleet too!

fleetwood76
08-06-07, 04:35 PM
Hello.

The bulletproof Brougham - :holycrap: :jawdrop: :drool:

Your Collection - :holycrap: :holycrap: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
:worship: :worship: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Jolle

96Fleetwood
08-06-07, 05:48 PM
You bought it off eBay, right!!??

If so, I was bidding against you! Glad another collector got their hands on it :thumbsup:

caddycruiser
08-06-07, 06:59 PM
You bought it off eBay, right!!??

If so, I was bidding against you! Glad another collector got their hands on it :thumbsup:

Yes, that's where I saw it too!

Glad to see it ended up where it did:thumbsup:

Wheelman322
08-08-07, 12:32 AM
Matt a.k.a Ultra Slow,
Glad to know your a member of this forum. I've always admired your collection that I found through a car you sold on Ebay. I'm actually a car/Cadillac junkie myself and usually have a collection of no less than 6 at a time, but your driveway makes mine look small. Anyway, I had a few questions about your 500 FWB's suspension and brake setup. I'm building one of my own and I'd like some pointers from someone whose as thorough as you.

Ultra Slow
08-10-07, 05:36 PM
Thanks,

Yes I bought the car off ebay a few months ago. Was quite an interesting history behind it, and it is a super nice car that needed just a little of my TLC. The person that had it was no car person, just someone that apparantly needed bulletproof protection. He got it from the State Dept when it was retired with only 18K miles and paid a ton to get it. He got it in 2000 and kept it up as best a non car person could. I got it just at the point of its life before it might have passed the point of no return as so many of these cars do. It is saved now and is really one of the best condition 94-96 cars I have seen since they were new. The bulletproof aspect is neat and expenisive, but limits many things like the windows rolling down. The doors really weigh 300 lbs, and you can imagine someone trying to open one that is not expecting it. You really need to do it for them as the only thing I can say is that its an "experience". The visibility out of a 2" thick window is not what a normal car is either. Other than that, its a 94 Cadillac.

The fleetwood/brougham suspension is not hard to modify but easier if you are not dealing with a 4100. The 80-81 had good front springs already. Just a big front sway bar and 94-96 brougham/impala SS sway bar will help. You can get Addco like I have on my 80 and those are very stout. If you have bushing problems, put polyurethane in the upper control arms, if not jsut wait until you do. Other than some really good front shocks/ KYB or Bilstien, that is the ticket on the front. The rear can be helped out by raising the level ride height on the rear arm and some better air shocks using the factory setup. Some towing springs from a 90-92 will help a ton too. Many want to get rid of the level ride, I like to work with it. These cars need it if you put passngers in the rear. Hope that helps.

Lord Cadillac
08-10-07, 06:46 PM
That car is really beautiful and the black interior looks to be the only way to go. I'd probably still have my 95 if it was black inside. The interior looks SO much less dated in black...

...here I go looking on eBay for Fleetwoods again...

Cadillacboy
08-11-07, 12:36 PM
That's true black interior rules !!!!
Sadly , my Seville is not black and if I happen to change the car and get another Seville that's fore sure I will get a black / black one

96Fleetwood
08-11-07, 02:29 PM
Many want to get rid of the level ride, I like to work with it. These cars need it if you put passngers in the rear. Hope that helps.

Not if you put good regular springs in the rear. I put new 9C1 springs with Bilstein HD shocks in the rear and they work better than the level ride when I have rear passengers.

Ultra Slow
08-12-07, 01:57 AM
You can use rear bilstiens for sure, but ride height will be compromised if you have a heavy load. The car I put THE MOST miles on in my life was an 81 fleetwood 6.0. I had it from 84 to about 6 years ago. Retired it with 270K on it. Great car. I did exactly what you did plus more about 1988 using the older caprice police springs in that car. I have since found out that the tow option springs are really a better choice but either is pretty good. That 81 drove great, but still got too low if it was loaded up modestly. These cars have the air level for a reason. I think with a couple light weight passengers you are just fine, but load that car with 4-5 people, full gas and tons of luggage and you will start to look like one of "those" old cadillacs going down the road. Either method is fine, the bilstiens in the back do have a bit better handling aspects, but with the level sacrifice.

96Fleetwood
08-12-07, 08:33 AM
You are right. I have only had rear passengers in the car 4 times and have only put a load in it once when I moved from Florida to VA.

For daily driving purposes, the level ride does get the job done. My rear air shocks were bad, so I found it easier to get the heavy duty springs & heavy duty bilsteins in the back.

I still have my working air compressor sitting in the storage unit. It might come in handy some day?

Does the bulletproof Brougham feel solid over bumps? I can only imagine that extra weight...

Also, does it have the same suspension as the Limos or was it kept like a Brougham sedan?

When I had my '91 Brougham I wanted to do the BB 500 after I saw yours. Maybe one day!

Take care,
Elias

96Fleetwood
08-14-07, 08:20 PM
I guess you are selling it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Fleetwood-Brougham-Armored-Bulletproof-LT1_W0QQitemZ270155355273QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 70155355273

Nice SL55! You and my father have similar tastes, he has several antique/classic Caddies and bought a silver SL55 as his toy.:thumbsup:

Now that I think about it... from your eBay name I think you have bid on several of the antique Cadillacs I put on eBay for my Father!

BRICKS
08-14-07, 08:42 PM
preparing for a driveby of any sort? perhaps a bank robbery.

good idea on bulletproof, bad idea preparing your caddy to be shot the hell up.

caddycruiser
08-15-07, 10:16 PM
preparing for a driveby of any sort? perhaps a bank robbery.

good idea on bulletproof, bad idea preparing your caddy to be shot the hell up.

No, but cars like this (i.e. look stock but can withstand virtually anything) are VERY popular for officials, famous people, etc. who want to get around in a vehicle that doesn't stand out in any way but protects them from anything and everything.

BRICKS
08-15-07, 11:49 PM
No, but cars like this (i.e. look stock but can withstand virtually anything) are VERY popular for officials, famous people, etc. who want to get around in a vehicle that doesn't stand out in any way but protects them from anything and everything.

true, but i dont see anyone wanting to do damage to such a beautiful car. guess it all depends whos inside tho. lol

Ultra Slow
08-16-07, 12:38 AM
You are right. I have only had rear passengers in the car 4 times and have only put a load in it once when I moved from Florida to VA.

For daily driving purposes, the level ride does get the job done. My rear air shocks were bad, so I found it easier to get the heavy duty springs & heavy duty bilsteins in the back.

I still have my working air compressor sitting in the storage unit. It might come in handy some day?

Does the bulletproof Brougham feel solid over bumps? I can only imagine that extra weight...

Also, does it have the same suspension as the Limos or was it kept like a Brougham sedan?

When I had my '91 Brougham I wanted to do the BB 500 after I saw yours. Maybe one day!

Take care,
Elias

The Bulletproof car does feel pretty solid. It does not feel as heavy driving it as it actually is. You can tell the weight on the car when you put 32 psi in the tires and they still are looking a little low. Need 40. The only change in the suspension, as far as I read about in the Armor company book, was the springs. Looking at them you can tell too as they are thick plus they are a nice shinny black unlike the bare metal stock ones. Obviously with the added weight the springs needed changing. They seem to be a very high rate spring too, thus it actually rides a bit stiffer than what you would think. Other than that, the factory level is working with the higher rate springs, etc and the car has the bigger stock sway bars. Its no cone dodger, but it feels as well as most Impala SS's.

Yes I have it for sale, but not really wanting to sell it that much. After I got all the issues the car had straight and brought it up a level in detail, I figured I would see if anyone needed it overseas. It makes good since if you are a contractor or contract company in Iraq to have a car like this, or better yet a tank. The only comprable cars with this level of armor are very expensive. Used ones are never this nice and still expensive, so I figure I'd give it a shot.... No pun intended.

ithruxix
08-18-07, 05:42 PM
true, but i dont see anyone wanting to do damage to such a beautiful car. guess it all depends whos inside tho. lol

You are missing the point. The car is made to blend in with the surounding motorcade. It was made mainly for diplomats, and high officials who MIGHT have an assasination attempt. I could be wrong, but that is what I would assume if I had not read his description. Great site, Ultra Slow. BTW, I sent you an email, hope to hear from you soon.

Jon

BRICKS
08-18-07, 06:45 PM
no im not missing the point. the point would be to have a car that doesnt look indestructable but actually is. obviously if your life was in danger you would need something like this to ride around in. if the car was bulletproof or not i couldnt imagine anyone wanting to destroy it. but like i said it depends on who is on the inside.

Cadillacboy
08-19-07, 08:41 AM
It's also said that you shouldn't mention it anywhere if your car is armored for safety concerns .
For instance, TRASCO is specialized in armoring Mercedes Benz and they never explain and give the name of their customers