: Saw my boys again last night at HoB

JimHare
08-05-07, 10:07 PM
Saw Deep Purple last night at House of Blues, Atlantic City. They're in the midst of a 30-stop American tour...

Great show. as usual. The mix was a bit muddled, but in a cavern like the HOB, it probably is hard to keep things separated. I wish they'd put Steve Morse's guitar up a little higher but overall, it was good.

1 hr 45 min show, three or four tunes from Rapture of the Deep, mixed in with stuff from In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, Who Do We Think We Are?, Perfect Strangers, House of Blue Light, The Battle Rages On, Perpendicular, Abandon and Bananas.. encored with Hush and title track from TBRO.

The guys always have fun on stage, Ian G. looks slimmer than he has in years, good voice tonight. Glover and Paice prove once again why they're the best rhythm section in rock, and Don Airey is 9.98 on the "Jon Lord is a 10" scale - and what can you say about Morse - simply one of the all time greats.

They're making a West Coast swing in the remaining weeks of August, so if you've never seen these guys live, I highly recommend it. There aren't many "classic" bands still touring on a regular basis, so you won't get a lot of chances.

http://www.deep-purple.net/tourdates2001/Tourdates2007.html

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-05-07, 10:11 PM
Cool! Their best song IMO (and I don't know much DP) is "Highway Star", even though it's kinda like a rip off on "Trampled Underfoot".

JimHare
08-05-07, 10:17 PM
Cool! Their best song IMO (and I don't know much DP) is "Highway Star", even though it's kinda like a rip off on "Trampled Underfoot".

Hmmm..Highway Star - 1971 Trampled : 1975....

Hmmmmmmmmmm

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-05-07, 10:27 PM
Hmmm..Highway Star - 1971 Trampled : 1975....

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Oh wow, Highway star came out first? wow, didn't know that. I just ASSumed that Trampled underfoot came out first. My bad.

JimHare
08-05-07, 10:48 PM
Not a problem. Its all good.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-05-07, 11:06 PM
Was "Highway Star" on Machine Head too? If so, that's another fantastic album that was released in 1971.

Let's see, aside from Machine Head 1971 gave us:

Madman Across The Water-Elton John
Tumbleweed Connection- Elton John
Aqualung- Jethro Tull (or was that '72?)
IV-Led Zeppelin
Meddle-Pink Floyd
Sticky Fingers- The Rolling Stones (and EOMS was written/recorded in the summer of '71)
Who's Next- The Who

Many of those albums were some of their bands best, so it's safe to say IMO, that 1971 was a pretty damn good year for rock.

Hope I didn't thread jack this one Jim...

JimHare
08-06-07, 06:21 AM
Machine Head was recorded at the Grand Hotel in Montreaux, Switzerland in December of 1971 and was released early in 1972. Highway Star was indeed on Machine Head, as was, of course, Smoke on the Water.