: locating dowels

Harry Yarnell
08-05-07, 09:25 AM
When doing the Timesert routine, I have to remove the steel dowels from the block (that locate the head) in order to place the jig for the tapping/drilling operation. Instead of going to the Cadillac store and shelling out $20 for the four dowels, I'm thinking of using short pieces of copper pipe. 1/2" copper pipe is VERY close to the dia. of those dowels, but slightly smaller.
Makes me wonder what the purpose of those dowels is. Is it just to keep the head in position for the bolting process? Could this work? Comments, please.
Anyone have luck with the drilling/tapping with the dowels in place?

Zorb750
08-05-07, 09:53 AM
If the head is misaligned by a very very small amount, your head gasket will most likely not last long. When you say very close, do you mean there is play that you can feel? If so, it will not work. Copper also has different properties and may produce either electrochemical reactions or expand/contract at a different rate than the aluminum, making the problem even worse. Don't get cheap about this.

tateos
08-24-07, 08:14 PM
Do You Need To Remove The Dowels If Using Norm's Inserts?

97Concours1
08-25-07, 03:06 AM

Yes. Norm's 5/8 tap is larger (.631" dia.) than the dowel OD (.616" dia.). You don't need oversize dowels though. Most of the original pilot hole for the dowel remains after the threading operation. The tap just puts a small spiral groove in it. After tapping, just press standard dowels back in.

Zorb750
08-25-07, 03:14 AM

Why do you feel the need to capitalize every word? :tisk:

What is it with people who can't write? All caps, commas every fifth word, capitalizing every word, no punctuation, the list goes on! You people are old enough to drive and supposedly intelligent enough to attempt to carry out modification or repair on your vehicles and a decent number of you can't even write at a sixth grade level!

Zorb750
08-25-07, 03:15 AM
Erased

Zorb750
08-25-07, 03:21 AM
Erased

Ranger
08-25-07, 12:03 PM

What is it with people who can't write? All caps, commas every fifth word, capitalizing every word, no punctuation, the list goes on! You people are old enough to drive and supposedly intelligent enough to attempt to carry out modification or repair on your vehicles and a decent number of you can't even write at a sixth grade level!

Zorb, they are not all caps on my screen. :hmm:

AJxtcman
08-25-07, 12:19 PM

My mom was a Literature major. I heard how to speak all my life. I still can't spell and use the incorrect puntuation all the time.
When I am on the Phone and answer a question with the word Correct instaed of yes, right, or yeah. The people get confused. Should I turn left. Right.

Zorb750
08-25-07, 01:53 PM
It's not all caps, every word is capitalized, as in the first letters.

AJxtcman
08-25-07, 02:28 PM
Norm's 34668

Ranger
08-25-07, 08:57 PM
Oh, I missed that (though not sure how).