: Noise when driving...

Cadillac Giovanni
08-04-07, 01:26 AM
Just wondering, my 89 Brougham has had a strong whirring noise for some time, related to the RPM of the engine it seems. I can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from, it seems to be from all over. It's probably from the transmission, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem on these cars and found a less troublesome solution. When coasting, the car is very quiet, but the instant i step on the gas, i hear the noise.

Somewhat annoying, but I usually have the radio loud enough to drown it out.

Highway Star
08-04-07, 02:25 AM
One possibility could be the alternator. They make a whirring, high-pitched sound when some of the internal components are going out. What you're describing sounds just like my Firebird did last year. I rebuilt the alt and problem went away.

90Brougham350
08-04-07, 08:16 AM
Yup, my guess would be alternator whine. Try checking all of the major ground straps and cables, something might be lose or corroded.

Brian

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-04-07, 03:36 PM
One of the bearings in my alternator went earlier this year and made the same noise you described. Changed with the engine speeds and sounded like a constant whine...like a supercharger!

I had a local electical shop rebuild my alternator and replace that bearing...cost me $45!

jayoldschool
08-04-07, 03:41 PM
Well, to figure out if it is the alternator: take the belt off, and go for a quick drive around the block. You should know right away. Don't go far without that belt!

Cadillac Giovanni
08-05-07, 12:53 AM
It's not much of a whine as much as it is a low pitched whirring. A really heavy noise. I'll try the alternator thing tomorrow, but I don't think that's it. I have another high pitched whir from the AC compressor pulley, but that goes away when the clutch locks up on it.