: Shock Tower Brace?

coati
08-03-07, 10:30 PM
Does anyone know if the STS V-Series Shock Tower Brace will work on a regular STS & more importantly, will it clear the hood?

I'm thinking that it should bolt-up OK but am unsure about hood clearance being that the V-Series hood is higher.

I realize that the engine covers will either have to be "cut-out" to accommodate the brace or replaced w/V-Series covers.

Thanks in advance for you input!:)

ssstealth
08-05-07, 10:32 AM
I don't know but if someone in the Winston Salem area wants to try it, I will offer my "V" for the experiment.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/P1010121.jpg

Curious George
08-05-07, 07:20 PM
Take a look at the engine compartment photo in the "2008 STS Review" thread. It looks like the '08 STS includes a brace that fits under the standard hood. It should be available from your local parts department soon.

WillySTS
08-07-07, 08:28 PM
Yeah, but that one looks pretty RAW...it's made of aluminum but, the welds look like they were welded in the dark...and last night at that. Once you see them, you'll know what I mean.

z06bigbird
08-07-07, 11:56 PM
I don't know but if someone in the Winston Salem area wants to try it, I will offer my "V" for the experiment.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/ssstealth/P1010121.jpg

Very generous of you. You are too trusting.

Just remember that every time you do something nice for someone, you get bit in the butt.

I really don't mean that because I am as trusting as you, and I will never learn.

z06bigbird
08-07-07, 11:58 PM
Does anyone know if the STS V-Series Shock Tower Brace will work on a regular STS & more importantly, will it clear the hood?

I'm thinking that it should bolt-up OK but am unsure about hood clearance being that the V-Series hood is higher.

I realize that the engine covers will either have to be "cut-out" to accommodate the brace or replaced w/V-Series covers.

Thanks in advance for you input!:)

I suspect you are having some front end shimmies or rattles. If that brace does not work, you could always buy a 5 gallon drum of J B Weld. Slop it all under the hood. Car will never rattle again. Nothing will ever fall off either.

ssstealth
08-08-07, 01:03 AM
OK, Let me clarify... If someone wants to try this, bring a six pack over to my garage and will will test fit the brace side by side. Once we have a yes/no answer the brace goes BACK in my car. Good Saturday fun as I love to turn wrenches but nothing is broke on the car nor do I suspect there will be any time soon.

coati
08-08-07, 03:50 AM
ssstealth,
That was a very thoughtful offer. A 6-pack for a test fit sounds like a deal.

Curious George,
I noticed the brace in the '08 STS right AFTER I posted.

Willy STS,
I'll have to see one "for real" to see the welds you're talking about.

Z06bigbird,
The STS definitely has some annoying "rattles" in the front suspension somewhere.

jr black 214
03-13-09, 03:50 PM
Can anyone confirm that the STS w/ performance package comes with strut brace? If so, who knows where its listed on
http://www.cadillac-parts-dealer.com

coati
03-27-10, 07:43 AM
The STS V-Series shock tower brace WILL NOT work on a regular STS
It will "bolt-up" but will not clear the hood.
That's why the STS V-Series hood is higher.
I just found out yesterday when I took my car into the Cadillac dealership to have one installed.
Very dissapointed to say the least:(

CadillacSTS42005
03-27-10, 11:32 AM
they do show images of a V6 STS with a STB though....

coati
03-27-10, 12:26 PM
they do show images of a V6 STS with a STB though....

I may have to go with one of those.
Not as "beefy" as the V-Series.
It looked like it was made out of aluminum.
I hope it fits & I can find one somewhere.

AllGoNShow
03-27-10, 12:58 PM
If anyone has one from a V6 and wants to sell or a V and wants to sell, I will take. Also looking for V sway bars.

CadillacSTS42005
03-27-10, 04:55 PM
V sways will not work so im told esp on AWD cars

coati
03-27-10, 05:10 PM
V sways will not work so im told esp on AWD cars

Maybe not for AWD but for RWD it does work.
I have an '06 STS 1SG w/Northstar and changed both front & rear sway bars to STS V-Series.
I highly recommend this suspension modification!:thumbsup:

AllGoNShow
03-27-10, 05:28 PM
^^ :) Happy to hear! Where did you find your V sways?

coati
03-27-10, 07:31 PM
Got them online thru newgmparts.com.

Installed the rear one first.
This made the most noticeable difference being that it's considerably larger in diameter than the original one.
Really firmed up the suspension without being overly harsh.
However, it felt slightly unbalanced, favoring the rear.

Then installed the front STS V sway bar.
The diameter is just slightly larger than the original.
That seemed to really balance out the ride & handling.
Surprisingly it rides better & a little softer with the V front sway bar!
I suspect it may have to do with better damping from the new rubber grommets (You'll have to use new & larger ones for both front & rear bars).
Overall more control, stability & better handling.
Especially at higher highway speeds.
I'm very happy with the results.:2thumbs:
Very smooth, yet solid.

The new Goodyear F1 Asymmetric high performance tires 255/45/18 (all-4) are a fantastic tire as well.
Great wet/dry performance and good ride characteristics.
And a good value too.
Much better than the OEM Michelin's & Goodyear ResponsEdge which were the previous tires.

I'm very passionate about my STS & love driving this car on the highway or finding nearly any excuse to drive it anywhere!