: Alternator

305Caddy
08-03-07, 08:38 PM
Ok its time to replace the alternator on my 85 FWB. Since I am not very familiar with the HT4100 I was wondering if there is a few things I should know?:confused: I know normally you would also replace the solanoid, but I dont even know if the HT4100 has a solanoid. Any information would be appreciated:thumbsup:

jayoldschool
08-03-07, 10:17 PM
It's a regular GM alternator. Just take it off, take it in to the parts place and grab a new/rebuilt one. Put yours back in the box, and you don't have to go back for the core charge:thumbsup:

CaddyshackCadillac
08-03-07, 10:32 PM
totally off subject but daily a 98 blazer ls i just replaced the battery and starter like 3 weeks ago so yesterday im driving to work and man im tellin you the radio started gettin wacky then the blinkers were drawing lot of power i get of the offramp with no tach or speedometer everythings going so i get a ride to work come back few hours later start her up just enuff juice to get to auto zone and spend the next hour and a half sweating my ass of in 95 degree heat changing it out with all them autozone tools.......

305Caddy
08-03-07, 10:34 PM
What about replacing the solanoid? does this car even have a solanoid?

Highway Star
08-04-07, 10:30 AM
The remanufactured Delco-Remy units use better components than what came stock, they're a little pricier than some of the other brands though.

I also like the products from Quick Start: http://www.alternatorparts.com/
I put one of their upgrade kits in my Firebird, and currently use one of their GM-Delco style replacements in my '92 Chevy C1500 truck.

Have no info about the solenoid.

carnut
08-04-07, 06:14 PM
YES, this car has a solenoid, but its mounted to the starter, not the alternator. There's 2 tricks to replacement #1 make sure all the ground wires that attach to the engine alt. bracket are cleaned and put back on very securely (tight). Disconnect the battery prior to replacement. Alternator replacement on this car is very simple.#2 Be aware that for the alternator to work at its best the smog pump belt must be tight. If that belt is loose, the alternator belt will slip and over time weaken the battery! The output of the alternator is stamped on the case, make sure the output rating of the replacement is the same. Should be like 90A or 110A if I recall.

carnut
08-04-07, 06:18 PM
If you mean voltage regulator not solenoid then no. The regulator is inside the new alternator.

305Caddy
08-04-07, 08:14 PM
Thanks car nut! on my truck which has a 350, I always had to change the solenoid when I replaced either the the starter or the Alternator. does this mean I will have to replace the starter also? or has GM fixed/improved the solenoids

305Caddy
08-04-07, 08:17 PM
oh, when I bought the car the smogg pump wasnt hooked up (no belt, but still there)

carnut
08-05-07, 02:24 PM
I'm confused? An alternator failure has absolutly nothing to do with the starter solenoid? What is the reason for the alternator replacement? If the smog pump belt is missing then the alternator belt will slip severly causing low output and possibly a misdiagnosis.

305Caddy
08-05-07, 03:21 PM
Just what I always had to do with my GMC Sierra which was just a carborated 350. I dont know why the smog pump is disconected so Im afraid to hook it back up

carnut
08-05-07, 06:06 PM
I'll ask again, whats the reason for the alternator replacement? I'll say again, without the smog pump belt on, the alternator belt WILL slip causing a discharged battery eventually.

305Caddy
08-06-07, 11:00 PM
Why am I replacing the Alternator? Because it is no good:duh:. How do I know? because sunday after last when I went to leav my girlfriends house, My Caddy would not start. I was suspicouse of the Alternator because I had just put a newe battery a few weeks ago. We jumped her and everything was all good untill I got a few miles from home and I turned on my headlights (it was getting dark) the engine shut off emediatly. I knew then it was the Alternator for sure.

As far as far as what Carnut says about the Smog pump and I quote "without the smog pump belt on, the alternator belt WILL slip causing a discharged battery eventually" I havent got any one else to confirm that for me. and since both belts run off of different sections of the waterpump/fan pulley I do not understand why that would happen.

I pulled out the Alternator a few hours ago and I tested faulty, unfortenatly the guy on e-bay sent me the wrong alternator:ripped:, but thats what I get for ordering an "re-manufactured Alternator for the 85 fleetwood/Deville 4.1L Vin8" off of e-bay:banghead:

carnut
08-07-07, 12:50 PM
Yes I agree the smog pump belt runs off a different pulley set. If you look at the routing, the alternator belt only wraps around the water pump pulley. The smog pump belt also wraps around the crank pulley as well as the water pump. I was a Cadillac service mgr for 11 years during the time your car was new and under warranty. We had this issue of discharged, dead batteries once the car was 2 to 3 years old because of loose belts. You can have the alt belt as tight as a drum and because it only wraps around the water pump it can slip because it doesnt wrap around the crankshaft. My point was that I didnt want you to mis diagnose the alternator simply because the battery went dead. When I asked whats the reason for replacement I wanted to read that it had been tested and found faulty as you now say. Once the correct one is installed and the belt is tight, try to rotate the alternator by hand against normal rotation. If you can turn it then its slipping on the water pump pulley. I offer these pointers because I've been there and have seen many batteries and alternators replaced unneccesarily simply because of loose smog pump belts!