: I'm finished with Internet Explorer 7...

Lord Cadillac
08-03-07, 11:17 AM
Forget it. I don't know what the deal is.. I suppose it's great for the average person who just opens one or two tabs and is done with it. I have 10 tabs opened in each of two windows, sometimes a few more in a third window - and IE7 just cannot handle it. The browser constantly crashes on me.

So I'm back to Firefox.. Anyone else frustrated with IE7? I can't believe I used to be such a Microsoft Advocate. Over the past year, I've been noticing how terrible they really are. My cell phone uses Windows Mobile 5 and it's practically useless.. The Windows Vista joke makes me want to abandon ship altogether and move to Macintosh...

</rant>

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-03-07, 11:21 AM
I stopped using IE years ago because I just had too damn many popups coming up. I switched over to Mozilla then and never looked back. Sometimes I have 3-4 tabs open and it works just fine. With the IE I have at work (an older version) I don't even have tabs, so I've gotta have 3-4 windows open at any given point, and what a cluster**** that is....I hate how MS groups all of the IE's together after you open more than 4 up so you've gotta click on the icon, and then have that expand so you can find the window you want.

Playdrv4me
08-03-07, 11:25 AM
On a sidenote... Why arent the tooltips with the header content of a given thread popping up anymore when I hover my mouse over a thread? Ive tried it in three different forums and they arent popping up anymore. It saves time from having to click into the thread.

JimmyH
08-03-07, 11:34 AM
Firefox Baby

Lord Cadillac
08-03-07, 11:35 AM
Tooltips? You mean the beginnings of the discussion within the thread? I still see them...

Playdrv4me
08-03-07, 11:48 AM
Thats strange, Ive tried it in multiple forums on two different machines here at work and the little box isnt coming up anymore, yet in other boards using vbulletin it does.

JimmyH
08-03-07, 12:10 PM
Thats strange, Ive tried it in multiple forums on two different machines here at work and the little box isnt coming up anymore, yet in other boards using vbulletin it does.

IS this what you are talking about? I only get the first line, not very useful IMHO

JimmyH
08-03-07, 12:11 PM
I think IE7 is a waste. The menu structure sucks. And I dont know, maybe its me, but how the hell to open a file? I cant find the open command anywhere.

Playdrv4me
08-03-07, 12:13 PM
Yea thats it, in IE6 im not getting them on a few different computers. I guess ill blow the dust off Firefox and try it there.

Playdrv4me
08-03-07, 12:16 PM
Yea in Firefox they work, although they are alot shorter than they are in IE.

JimmyH
08-03-07, 12:29 PM
by the way, i was researching some stuff on the internet a while back, and I had at least 40 open windows in Firefox with nary a problem...

railven
08-03-07, 12:52 PM
@Jimmy

In IE7, hit ALT, then click view, then toolbars, then Menu Bar. It will stay up for you. Personally I like it gone since I don't use those options very much.

Hey Sal it could be something else on your comp, then again it could be IE7. I've had both IE7 and Firefox on my system act up. Random crashes, hanging, etc. I think my comp is due for a wipe and clean.

But so far IE7 has given me less problems then Firefox in just click and surf, specially since most sites support IE off the bat.

z06bigbird
08-03-07, 12:55 PM
Forget it. I don't know what the deal is.. I suppose it's great for the average person who just opens one or two tabs and is done with it. I have 10 tabs opened in each of two windows, sometimes a few more in a third window - and IE7 just cannot handle it. The browser constantly crashes on me.

So I'm back to Firefox.. Anyone else frustrated with IE7? I can't believe I used to be such a Microsoft Advocate. Over the past year, I've been noticing how terrible they really are. My cell phone uses Windows Mobile 5 and it's practically useless.. The Windows Vista joke makes me want to abandon ship altogether and move to Macintosh...

</rant>

I sometimes keep 5 windows open with no problem. 3.46 chip and 1.5 gig of mem. IE 7 is a little buggy, but no lock ups.

JimmyH
08-03-07, 01:56 PM
I only have a couple of HR websites I have to use from time to time that dont support Mozilla, other than that, IE can suck my big -------

slk230mb
08-03-07, 02:59 PM
I stopped using IE years ago because I just had too damn many popups coming up. I switched over to Mozilla then and never looked back. Sometimes I have 3-4 tabs open and it works just fine. With the IE I have at work (an older version) I don't even have tabs, so I've gotta have 3-4 windows open at any given point, and what a cluster**** that is....I hate how MS groups all of the IE's together after you open more than 4 up so you've gotta click on the icon, and then have that expand so you can find the window you want.

You can easily turn that off. Right click on the taskbar --> properties --> uncheck group simiar task buttons

Playdrv4me
08-03-07, 03:13 PM
...my big -------

Sausage?

Blackout
08-03-07, 04:32 PM
People still use Internet Explorer

CIWS
08-03-07, 05:01 PM
I never upgraded to 7, still using I.E. 6 :D

wait4me6920
08-03-07, 07:42 PM
Been a Mac driver for more than 15 years - still keep a pc handy for those times that I've been a bad, bad boy & deserve to be punished severely...:alchi:

ewill3rd
08-03-07, 08:46 PM
I must have freakish computers. Of course 3 of the 4 I use on a regular basis... I built.
The other is a pre-fab HP.
All of them work flawlessly, and all of them have XP SP2 with IE7 and all the latest windows updates.
I use them along with Live One Care.
No problems here, sometimes I have 20 tabs open in IE7, multiple windows and it works fine.
At work I start with 5 homepage tabs and just leave it open all day.

In fact the only real computer problem I have had recently was because our building took a lightning strike and one of my Ethernet cards got hit and stopped working.
The computer was protected but our network wasn't.
I got a new card and now it is back up.
(although I have to do some stuff to it, like update some passwords that changed and fix the one care subscription)

I don't have many other apps loaded on my computers though. This one has lots of programs but I rarely use anything but quicken, real arcade, IE7 and email software.
Maybe one of your other applications causes it to be glitchy? At any rate, I'd recommend using whatever works best.
I used to use other browsers but I got tired of watching for updated versions and having issues with some of the web stuff I use not being supported by GM.

Krashed989
08-03-07, 09:12 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=internet+explorer
Nuff said. :p

I like firefox more. It gives you more security on the internet. PLUS you can totally customize it with free downloadable add-ons.

Here's how mine looks:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c296/Krashed989/firefox.jpg

JimmyH
08-03-07, 09:25 PM
I like firefox more. It gives you more security on the internet. PLUS you can totally customize it with free downloadable add-ons.

oh hell yes, and there are some great ones:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

Red_October_7000
08-03-07, 10:15 PM
I got sick of IE years ago and switched to Maxthon, which is very bulletproof (it uses the IE core and then overlays its own protections on it), customizable, better on clock, and has tabs. My ladyfriend uses Firefox, I just can't come to terms with it but I have it for certain things, but I say get rid of IE still. I'd never touch IE7, and I'm definitely not using Vista, ever, for anything, on principle. It's a joke, not an operating system. I'll be XP for ever and when that can last no longer, I'll switch to something UNIX-based.

rblimas
08-04-07, 01:29 AM

</rant>

yes many people have had the same problem you had. thats the same reason im using FF:D

FF FTW:D

Zorb750
08-05-07, 09:12 AM
Opera is the best browser for forums. Go into a section, just use the middle button to pick all the topics you want to read, the will all open in tabs in the background, and it will go VERY quickly. It doesn't crash much. more specifically, it crashes less than Firefox, which is to say nothing of Internet Exploder.

lawfive
08-05-07, 09:28 AM
Luckily I got advanced warning to not download IE7, not download WMP10, and not go to Vista. God bless Buzz Out Loud.

CIWS
08-05-07, 09:38 AM
Luckily I got advanced warning to not download IE7, not download WMP10, and not go to Vista. God bless Buzz Out Loud.

I have WMP10, just not 11 :D WinXP Pro, I.E. 6 and WMP 10. I do have Quicktime on it though :eek: ;)

JimHare
08-05-07, 09:37 PM
Opera is the best browser for forums. Go into a section, just use the middle button to pick all the topics you want to read, the will all open in tabs in the background, and it will go VERY quickly. It doesn't crash much. more specifically, it crashes less than Firefox, which is to say nothing of Internet Exploder.

+1 Opera user since about Day 2...

The only thing that's a pain is that so many sites check your browser name and won't continue unless you have IE or FF - even though they'd probably be fine under Opera...poor programming practice - just tell me that my browser may not work 'right', don't prohibit me from visiting your site altogether.... bastaads...

N0DIH
08-05-07, 11:30 PM
Firefox gets my vote. But give Safari for Windows a try. Nice change....

I have IE7 too, because too many websites are written around crappy IE HTML/XML coding, and I have to keep IE for work too. IE6 is still standard, IE7 it what I use, but IT likes to give me crap about it "not company standard..."

I use FF as much as possible...

Cadillacboy
08-07-07, 11:20 AM
I use two browsers IE7 and Opera .I noticed IE7 crashes less since I kept the pages .So, I never close them even when I close the lid to the notebook lol .

gothicaleigh
08-08-07, 07:44 PM
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/perspective.png

dwight.j.carter
08-08-07, 07:54 PM
I prefer firefox or Safari is available on Windows now too.

"G$"
01-30-09, 12:05 PM
I am upping this thread because i officially hate internet explorer. I am not sure what version I'm running, don't think it's 7, it is company installed.

I've been getting "internet explorer has encountered an error & must close for the last 2 days, CONSTANTLY" I can hardly do work with this sh1t.

I'm actually trying to download firefox right now, and IE won't let me do that, it fails before I can download it so I am stuck.

I'm going to reboot later and hopefully it will act up less and allow me to get firefox.

IE SUCKS!

N0DIH
01-30-09, 12:34 PM
What? Not trying IE8? Beta RC1 is out.... I just upgraded to IE8 and FF 3.0....

Blackout
01-30-09, 02:40 PM
Why the hell does anybody still use IE? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7784908.stm

N0DIH
01-30-09, 03:44 PM
Because at work many internal applications won't work properly if at all in FF or Safari or Chrome. So we are screwed with IE6....

mbnv992
01-30-09, 08:18 PM
I'm starting to hate IE as well. I have IE7 (came with my Lenovo T61) and for the past few weeks, I've been having new windows just open up by themselves. New IE pages will just keep popping up non-stop for like 3 minutes (it will fill like 30 windows) until I either A. Shut the computer down, or B. do the CTRL+ALT+Del method. I have no clue why it just randomly goes hay-wire opening up random windows like that.
Oh well.

N0DIH
01-30-09, 08:41 PM
I had been using IE7 from the beta in spring 07 and honestly it did work quite well, FAR better than IE6. If it is opening windows without your blessings, look at your settings, check and see what is up. I haven't seen anything like that with it.

I am playing with IE8 RC1 now, feel weighted down and a bit heavier than IE7 and IE6.

FF2.x is still my preferred browser, even FF3.x I don't like quite as much.

Nutz
01-31-09, 01:09 PM
I use Google Chrome strictly for CF. It works the best. And fast.

C0RSA1R
01-31-09, 09:19 PM
Gotta go with Firefox on this one. It works great, and I love the Foxmarks add-on - if my computer ever crashes, all my bookmarks, passwords, and everything get saved. As for their security, I gotta say I trust them pretty well for the minor things - anything banking related I don't save the passwords at all, but for things like Pizzahut's webpage and this forum, having the auto-login rocks.

Although I hate saying it, I really think that WMP is the best music player out there. I've tried a bunch of others, notable Winamp, but it just didn't sound as good - and I must have fiddled with the EQ settings and play modes for a solid hour to try to get the same clear sound. I have a kickin' Creative soundcard too, so I gotta give even more credit to them - they do a really good job with the 5.1 and 7.1 hi-fi.

dkozloski
01-31-09, 09:37 PM
I've got IE8 RC-1 and it's even more stable than IE7. I'm sold on it.

N0DIH
02-01-09, 12:46 AM
I love DTA, Download Them All for Firefox add-in. This sooo helpful.