: 1988 Brougham Project PICS

Jonas McFeely
08-02-07, 08:12 PM
Hey guys, finally got some pics of it. Like i said, it needs a bit of work, but nothing too substantial. It has cold A/C, and a tow hitch. 153,097 miles. Not a dent anywhere on the car. I plan to spray the bumper fillers,they dont have to match perfect,but something better than they are. All of the door panels are about perfect, surprisingly. Im pretty sure it needs a new master cylinder. New battery and new headliner. The guy that did my '85 Seville will be summoned for the headliner, $120 installed and he comes to you! Needs a hood ornament too, i think i have one in my bag of random Cadillac emblems and crap.

Its really dirty. I havnt had anytime to do anything with it. The paint is good, but need a good wax. The top needs a good cleaning. The leather in it is good but needs to be cleaned an conditioned. Carpet needs a shampoo. Engine bay needs a good cleaning. Same with trunk. The car has been sitting for months.

Any idea where i can get a decent set of blue floor mats?

Im going to swap the woodgrain with my '85( '85 has the lighter stuff). Ive been looking for a nice complete set of the darker woodgrain for a long time, and the '88's is near perfect. So that will be fun...

Sorry for being all over the place ^^^ up there, i kept adding things i forgot.

Is this Glacier Blue? Or what?

Production numbers? Sandy?

Comments, Questions, Input?

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/P8020001.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/P8020003.jpg

Those arnt blackwalls, theyre that dirty!

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/P8020004.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/P8020005.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/P8020006.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/P8020007.jpg

Anything i can do to fix these rips?

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/P8020008.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/P8020009.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/P8020010.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/P8020011.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/P8020012.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/85evergreenbrougham/P8020013.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-02-07, 08:21 PM
Not bad! How's it feel to own two of these beasts and have you gotten a chance to drive it yet?

Jonas McFeely
08-02-07, 08:29 PM
Not bad! How's it feel to own two of these beasts and have you gotten a chance to drive it yet?

I used to have a dark blue '88 that i used for parts over 2 years ago. It smoked like a chimney and was beat to hell. I sold it to an Orlando-based rapped named Young Lex. So its nothing new.

I have not driven it yet. Needs a battery.

CaddymanTom
08-02-07, 11:39 PM
Not bad at all. I would clean up the white walls a little bit and may put the whitewalls on one side and leave the other side blackwalls, unless you want to get new tires on the front. A little cleaning goes a long way. Thats a nice color combo when it is cleaned up I like the car :thumbsup:

Jonas McFeely
08-02-07, 11:42 PM
Not bad at all. I would clean up the white walls a little bit and may put the whitewalls on one side and leave the other side blackwalls, unless you want to get new tires on the front. A little cleaning goes a long way. Thats a nice color combo when it is cleaned up I like the car :thumbsup:

Believe it or not, the fronts are whitewalls, they are just incredibly filthy. It took me a couple days to notice!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-02-07, 11:43 PM
I like the Sage Green more than that light blue.

CaddyshackCadillac
08-02-07, 11:46 PM
see thats a "take her to the drive in" kinda car

Destroyer
08-03-07, 01:01 AM
Hey guys, finally got some pics of it. Like i said, it needs a bit of work, but nothing too substantial. It has cold A/C, and a tow hitch. 153,097 miles. Not a dent anywhere on the car. I plan to spray the bumper fillers,they dont have to match perfect,but something better than they are. All of the door panels are about perfect, surprisingly. Im pretty sure it needs a new master cylinder. New battery and new headliner. The guy that did my '85 Seville will be summoned for the headliner, $120 installed and he comes to you! Needs a hood ornament too, i think i have one in my bag of random Cadillac emblems and crap.

Its really dirty. I havnt had anytime to do anything with it. The paint is good, but need a good wax. The top needs a good cleaning. The leather in it is good but needs to be cleaned an conditioned. Carpet needs a shampoo. Engine bay needs a good cleaning. Same with trunk. The car has been sitting for months.

Any idea where i can get a decent set of blue floor mats?

Im going to swap the woodgrain with my '85( '85 has the lighter stuff). Ive been looking for a nice complete set of the darker woodgrain for a long time, and the '88's is near perfect. So that will be fun...

Sorry for being all over the place ^^^ up there, i kept adding things i forgot.

Is this Glacier Blue? Or what?

Production numbers? Sandy?

Comments, Questions, Input?

Jonas, before I bought my '91 I had a mint '87 FWB with 73k or so original miles. Real clean car and I sold it for $1200. I hope I eat my words but I believe that you will lose money on this car. Here's a pic of my ex '87.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-03-07, 01:06 AM
I'm still interested to hear your thoughts on the 307 v. the HT4100.

Cadillac_Fan
08-03-07, 08:31 AM
Nice one. It is indeed Glacier Blue. I am partial to the darker simulated woodgrain, yet the honey-esque color of the early '80s may be a nice contrast with the interior.

Do you have reading lamps or the standard courtesy lights behind the rear seats?

Do both sun visors have the illuminated vanity mirrors?

I don't think it would take much to whip her into shape.

I'd love to fix the rust on my exterior and redo the seals/gaskets on the 307, as mine goes through the oil. That said, I know there are forum members who insist I can find something in a lot better shape for dirt cheap prices...and I agree in part...yet these cars are seemingly becoming more and more difficult to find-and I know what I have mechanically. (Sorry for the threadjack.) Here's a pic of my '88 in a weather-checked Diplomat Blue:

Jonas McFeely
08-03-07, 08:46 AM
Jonas, before I bought my '91 I had a mint '87 FWB with 73k or so original miles. Real clean car and I sold it for $1200. I hope I eat my words but I believe that you will lose money on this car. Here's a pic of my ex '87.

You sir, got ripped off. I know the market around here, this is not the first Cadillac i have flipped, and there are a ton of younger people willing to pay a decent amount of money for these things. I wont put more than $300 into it. Me and my Dad can do the master cylinder, i can do the paint for the bumper fillers and all of the cleaning. The headliner is the only thing im paying someone to do.

A car that runs and has cold A/C will get you $1000 any day. I know this from experience. An '80s "Big Body" Cadillac with that will get you more. Dont forget, all of this hip-hop influence plays a big role in this. Ever heard that song "Just bought a Cadillac"? Kids who buy into that crap will rather pay $1200-$1500 for a nice big Cadillac than a Civic.

I will have no problem selling this car when im done. The market is there. Even if i dont make a killing, i guarantee i'll make at least $400. And that fine with me.

jayoldschool
08-03-07, 09:26 AM
I agree with Jonas that the market for full-size, RWD cars is stong in FL. My mother has a place in Ft Lauderdale, and I always check the prices when I am down there. It is suprising what they go for.

Destroyer
08-03-07, 09:52 AM
You sir, got ripped off. I know the market around here, this is not the first Cadillac i have flipped, and there are a ton of younger people willing to pay a decent amount of money for these things. I wont put more than $300 into it. Me and my Dad can do the master cylinder, i can do the paint for the bumper fillers and all of the cleaning. The headliner is the only thing im paying someone to do.

A car that runs and has cold A/C will get you $1000 any day. I know this from experience. An '80s "Big Body" Cadillac with that will get you more. Dont forget, all of this hip-hop influence plays a big role in this. Ever heard that song "Just bought a Cadillac"? Kids who buy into that crap will rather pay $1200-$1500 for a nice big Cadillac than a Civic.

I will have no problem selling this car when im done. The market is there. Even if i dont make a killing, i guarantee i'll make at least $400. And that fine with me.
For some reason I thought you paid $1500 for the car, how much was the price again?. Anyway I probably could have held out for more money on the '87. I was moving from that house and had a moving sale so I figured I'd put a for sale sign on it cause I had just purchased the '91 at that time and didn't need two. I just took the first offer I got for it.

Jonas McFeely
08-03-07, 10:55 AM
For some reason I thought you paid $1500 for the car, how much was the price again?. Anyway I probably could have held out for more money on the '87. I was moving from that house and had a moving sale so I figured I'd put a for sale sign on it cause I had just purchased the '91 at that time and didn't need two. I just took the first offer I got for it.

No way would i pay $1500 for that! Im insulted! I paid $500. I'll put $300-$400 into it, put an add in the paper and put it in a nice area and it will sell real quick. Ive sold 6 cars in about 2 1/2 years, i know what to expect with this one. If i make $300 i will be happy. I'll put it in the paper for $1600,i'll take as little as $1100.

I enjoy the fixing up part just as much as the profit i make. Gives me something to do.

And Jay, you are right. Old RWD cars are big in Florida, especially now with all this big rim craze and hip hop influence.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-03-07, 12:11 PM
Shit, I'd pay $1100 for that after it's been cleaned up a bit! (If I was in the market.....)

Cadillac_Fan
08-03-07, 01:06 PM
I sure wish I knew where everyone is getting these cars for a steal. In my neck of the woods (Indianapolis area & the Midwest including Chicago / Cincinnati / Louisville), '86-'89 Broughams in fair to good shape with 100,000+ miles are commanding a high dollar between $1,900-$5,000.

At the risk of violating forum rules with respect to posting websites which sell used cars, I do routinely check www.cars.com (http://www.cars.com), www.traderonline.com (http://www.traderonline.com), www.craigslist.org (http://www.craigslist.org), and www.ebay.com (http://www.ebay.com). It is a challenge to locate a solid, driveable Brougham in the Midwest for less than a grand or two.

I suppose those forunate enough to find these cars for a song must stumble upon them being sold by a private party in their driveway; because it seems to me, these older Broughams are becoming scarce and continue to fetch a premium (pricewise), regardless of condition. I only see the value of these climbing in the years to come. Likewise, as Jonas remarked, music has had an influence on demand, too.

As far as Florida, I could go to Naples, Ft. Meyers, Tampa, and Clearwater and "Cadillac Watch" for days. It's amazing to see the amazing '70s and '80s vintage Cadillacs still rolling down there.

AElayyat
08-03-07, 09:37 PM
looks nice joans. the 2 caddys side by side look nice. :thumbsup:

AElayyat
08-03-07, 09:45 PM
I'm still interested to hear your thoughts on the 307 v. the HT4100.

to be completly honest, they are both dogs. my 4.1 feels more responsive then my 5.0, but i am sure that is because the 4.1 has the tbi where the 5.0 has a carb.

as far as power goes my 85 fleetwood brougham had a tranny rebuild about 2 years ago and i made the mistake of having a shift kit put in at that time (the tranny has firm shifts). now with that said from 0mph to ~ 50mph my 85 caddy feels quicker than my 89 brougham. (a buddy of mine thinks my 85 could hold the 89 upto about 60mph...???)

on the other hand...the 89 seems to wake up after ~40mph to about 65mph.

in the end the 89 deville (w/ tbi 4.5 ) i use to have will work the 2 big body caddys put together. these big body caddys are good crusers. my only complaint against them is the lack of power.

hope that helps give you an idea. i still have not drove a 90-92 brougham with the chevy 5.0 or the chevy 5.7. i drove 2 93's w/ the tbi 5.7 and that was not too bad.

Night Wolf
08-10-07, 01:07 AM
Wow.... how did I miss this thread?

Anyway neat! Personally not a fan of the blue interior, but not bad :) Keep us updated :)

DopeStar 156
08-10-07, 01:24 AM
Wow your green one is a little rougher than I thought it was. Still though good luck, the 307 is cake to work on if you really have to and you can't kill it. Just watch for the oil spots......

Night Wolf
08-10-07, 02:24 AM
Wow your green one is a little rougher than I thought it was. Still though good luck, the 307 is cake to work on if you really have to and you can't kill it. Just watch for the oil spots......

surprisingly, changing the plugs, espeically on the right side of the engine is a PITA....

AElayyat
08-10-07, 12:32 PM
surprisingly, changing the plugs, espeically on the right side of the engine is a PITA....

i think changing them on the rwd 4100 is more of a pain in the ass. i changed the plugs on my 85 fleetwood and the job took me like 45 min. but i had the plugs changed on my 89 brougham in about 30 min.

Night Wolf
08-10-07, 03:29 PM
Never did an HT...

I dunno, I did my plugs/wires/cap/rotor starting at 2AM one time... I also finsihed putting the A/C compressor, accumulator and orifice tube in... next thing I knew it was 6AM.... didn't know it would take that long....

AElayyat
08-10-07, 09:34 PM
Never did an HT...

I dunno, I did my plugs/wires/cap/rotor starting at 2AM one time... I also finsihed putting the A/C compressor, accumulator and orifice tube in... next thing I knew it was 6AM.... didn't know it would take that long....

well 4 hours for that all of that work is not bad. i'm sure starting working on a car at 2 am you were tired.

Night Wolf
08-10-07, 10:42 PM
I got out of work, then went online for a bit and started working on the car.

That was when we had the last Tampa meet, I was going to drive the Caddy down, but with the A/C still not charged, and the speedo still broke (no cruise control or torque conveter lockup) I decided against it and took the Lincoln.

I guess sometimes I get tired of working on the cars tho... like right now, the dashboard on the Town Car is out because I am replacing the heater core, again. Actually I just pulled the old one out, the new one (OEM this time) is ready to go back in, then the joy of bolting everything back together.... but... I'm in here on the forums....

96Fleetwood
08-11-07, 02:51 PM
Wow your green one is a little rougher than I thought it was.

Wow, I am glad I am not the only one that thinks that. I thought it was some holy grail from all the posts around here.. but just looking at the vinyl top and paint.. whew.

I think someone will pay you $850 for that Blue one... just because it is a running car with A/C. Goodluck with the sale.

Jonas McFeely
08-11-07, 07:28 PM
Wow, I am glad I am not the only one that thinks that. I thought it was some holy grail from all the posts around here.. but just looking at the vinyl top and paint.. whew.

I think someone will pay you $850 for that Blue one... just because it is a running car with A/C. Goodluck with the sale.

Have i ever said the car was mint? No. Have always been totally honest about its condition and what it needs? Yes. Have i always posted pics and descriptions of whats wrong with it? Yes. I have never made it out to be better than it is. Its a 22 year old car that hasnt had the best life. Its still a rare car and it will see better days.

I could do without your passive comments. You always seem to post something with a dick-head sort of tone to it, and then follow it up with a "good luck" or some other BS ending. You consistantly have an "im better than you and my car is better than yours tone" to your posts. I see it all the time. And im sure there are more than few memebers here that will agree with me on that.

Dude, not everyone has a perfect condition car that they can garage. Keep your ass hole comments to yourself. They dont add anything, and just make you look like a prissy jerk off.

And i will get more than a $1k for that '88 Brougham. I know what the market is like around here. You dont.

Oh and for the record, a '93 Caprice wagon with 9C1 wheels, a 305 and the Impala paint does not make it an "SS". Maybe if it had an LT1.

77CDV
08-11-07, 08:11 PM
Woah, Jonas, calm down, dude! We're heading for thread lock full tilt if you keep that up.

Anyway....the blue car looks OK for a flip, and I don't see you having any trouble selling it for a good profit. Proceeds go to a worthy cause. :) BTW, was it ever in a front end collision? Maybe it's the light but the driver's side front fender doesn't seem to match the door in color and the front bumper guards look a little pushed back. Could be an optical illusion. I'm sure your plans for this car will work out fine. Be sure to take pics of the 85 once the wood grain swap is done. The result should be very dignified.

Craig

Jonas McFeely
08-11-07, 09:05 PM
Woah, Jonas, calm down, dude! We're heading for thread lock full tilt if you keep that up.

Anyway....the blue car looks OK for a flip, and I don't see you having any trouble selling it for a good profit. Proceeds go to a worthy cause. :) BTW, was it ever in a front end collision? Maybe it's the light but the driver's side front fender doesn't seem to match the door in color and the front bumper guards look a little pushed back. Could be an optical illusion. I'm sure your plans for this car will work out fine. Be sure to take pics of the 85 once the wood grain swap is done. The result should be very dignified.

Craig

I probably shouldnt have gotten so worked up, i just cant stand comments like that. They just set me off. That was a totally unnecessary comment by him. Maybe he didnt mean it like that, but im sick of his snide comments on just about everything. Its not just me either.

Wow, i forgot about the wood grain! Thanks for reminding me!:highfive:

Destroyer
08-11-07, 09:25 PM
A little fighting is ok, I think. Keeps things interesting. :thumbsup:

Night Wolf
08-11-07, 09:40 PM
I know when I swapped over the wood dash trim on my '79 it made all the difference (as well as the better/newer upper light/fuel gauge strips) The '79 had a lighter burl wood, and in went the darker rosewood(?) from an '88... soo much better.

Driver side is super easy, like 5 screws... the passenger side tho is surprisingly difficult... maybe it woudln't be for me now, but a few years ago it sure was... Before anything, the glove box needs to come out, as well as the lower kick panel cover thing, and the A/C vent. All the screws are accessed from the back, and are in tight spaces... it really was a pain.

Though after ripping the dash apart on the Town Car 4 times, I am sure doing that again would seem like cake... so who knows :)

DopeStar 156
08-12-07, 03:08 AM
There's actually an '87 near me that's a d'Elegance that had a minor deer related collision and is rotting away at a shop down the road from me. I think it's the same color so if you need anything pulled, tell me and I'll see if I can get some stuff for you. I remember the engine being pretty clean too.....

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 03:38 AM
There's actually an '87 near me that's a d'Elegance that had a minor deer related collision and is rotting away at a shop down the road from me. I think it's the same color so if you need anything pulled, tell me and I'll see if I can get some stuff for you. I remember the engine being pretty clean too.....

Who is this in reference to? What color is it?

Jonas McFeely
08-12-07, 04:59 AM
Who is this in reference to? What color is it?

Is my '88 and your '89 the same color?

Night Wolf
08-12-07, 05:10 AM
Is my '88 and your '89 the same color?

My '89 is grey/black.

If your '88 was the same color, especially the inside (seems to be hard to find), I'd have bought it from ya already for parts :)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/Brougham/6-24-07/IMG_0025.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/Brougham/6-24-07/IMG_0028.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/Brougham/6-24-07/IMG_0036.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/Brougham/6-24-07/IMG_0040.jpg

DopeStar 156
08-13-07, 02:51 AM
I meant Jonas actually. The car is light blue......

Jonas McFeely
08-13-07, 07:39 PM
I meant Jonas actually. The car is light blue......

If it has the dark blue OEM floor mats, snag those and i'll buy them from you. Thats about it, or at least that would not be time consuming to pull.

Thanks!

CaddyChillin77777
09-02-07, 09:52 PM
what happened to the ornament of the seville?