: Driveline shop for '70 SDV in Metro Detroit area

BluEyes
08-02-07, 06:35 PM
Hey guys, my '70 SDV is in need of a new driveshaft. The previous owner mistreated her badly and the driveshaft is severely dented in places... :eek:

Does anyone know of a good shop for vintage driveshafts like this in the Detroit area? I have it in for an estimate at one shop and the guy behind the counter said that work on this type would be expensive because of the way the shaft was made back then. Specifically, the shaft goes from a large diameter in the center and necks down to a smaller diameter at the joints. I was told that the machinery to make this type of shaft is no longer around so replacing the shaft will be expensive. If anyone knows of a shop that is able to make up this kind of shaft, I'd love to hear from you!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-02-07, 07:01 PM
For starters, I'd contact the local Cadillac dealership and see where they send this sorta stuff.

The Ape Man
08-03-07, 02:26 PM
Maybe start out with a junkyard unit and have that one fitted with new CV joints.

Dents could be from improper hydraulic lift placement. Car goes up and shaft contacts center post flange plate on lift.