: Peeling Headling Housings

am6948
08-02-07, 01:31 PM
I thought I saw a thread on this but could not find it.

Has anyone else experience peeling of the clear material at the top of the housing near the hood line?

Noticed mine the other day and currently my SRX is at the dealer for other issues and showed it to him, well see what the outcome is.

am6948
'04 V6 SRX

louisn
08-02-07, 07:20 PM
I thought I saw a thread on this but could not find it.

Has anyone else experience peeling of the clear material at the top of the housing near the hood line?

Noticed mine the other day and currently my SRX is at the dealer for other issues and showed it to him, well see what the outcome is.

am6948
'04 V6 SRX
Yes, I started a thread on this issue a few months ago. Looks like peeling skin after a Florida sunburn. I will address it with the dealer at the next oil change or earlier if my hatch starts leaking AGAIN!!:stirpot:

am6948
08-02-07, 09:52 PM
That is what brought me to the dealer, leaking rear hatch, wife picked it up today lookedinside and still leaking.

Dealer claimed it is fixed but after they put it through the car wash same problem.

Going back again!

am6948
08-02-07, 09:56 PM
Forgot the most important part, dealer claimed the peeling did not affect performance of the headlights and was not covered by warranty!!

Now what??

terryk
08-02-07, 11:10 PM
Go to another dealer.

louisn
08-02-07, 11:44 PM
Forgot the most important part, dealer claimed the peeling did not affect performance of the headlights and was not covered by warranty!!

Now what??
It's either a wear and tear item, like brakes or windshield wipers, or a defect. IMHO, it is a defect. The fact that a defective part does not affect another function is not dispositive. If your radio buttons all crack prematurely , you can still play the stereo, but it's still a defect and should be covered. Your dealer is :alchi:.
I will appeal if they turn me down. I've owned cars that were 10 years old and the finish on any part has never peeled like that plastic above the headlights.:stirpot:

TSS
08-03-07, 09:07 AM
My dealer would cover it without any agument, guaranteed. They have replaced fading steering wheel controls and radio buttons on my 6 year old CPO SLS. Go to another dealer.

syrob@MSN.COM
08-03-07, 10:59 AM
Same here, look at the gray area, mine was only above the gray strip reagon on top.

SYROB

b4z
08-04-07, 11:06 AM
The top of the headlights on my '04 SRX had this. The clear was pitted. Build date was 01/04 and purchase was 03/04. I have a '07 SRX now.
It looks almost like these headlight covers are laminated. With the main body of the cover being a soft plastic and the part that is on the exterior and is pitting being a harder plastic.

There is a orange '03 CTS in my parking lot that had it so bad it was embarassing. And there was brown scum inside the top part of the headlight.
If you guys remember the orange CTS's were built in limited numbers at the beginning of '02.

So this what we have to look forward to as our SRXs age.

louisn
08-04-07, 03:19 PM
The top of the headlights on my '04 SRX had this. The clear was pitted. Build date was 01/04 and purchase was 03/04. I have a '07 SRX now.
It looks almost like these headlight covers are laminated. With the main body of the cover being a soft plastic and the part that is on the exterior and is pitting being a harder plastic.

There is a orange '03 CTS in my parking lot that had it so bad it was embarassing. And there was brown scum inside the top part of the headlight.
If you guys remember the orange CTS's were built in limited numbers at the beginning of '02.

So this what we have to look forward to as our SRXs age.
NO--My peeling headlight covers will be fixed under my warranty--one way or the other!:want: BTW, my wife's srx is almost 3 years old and a friend of mine asked if it was new based on its gleaming paint!!!!

b4z
08-04-07, 06:55 PM
Same here.
I turned my '04 in Monday. A lot of my friends and neighbors knew I was replacing it with a another black SRX.
Two of them asked me if the '04 was my new car.
I spent the weekend partially clay barring and waxing it.
Other than the some paint scratches on the hood and the rear bumper, plus the headlight pits it looked brand new.
I had been doing Lexol leather care every 3-4 months and the leather looked amazing.

I may go silver on my next Caddy. Black is bear to keep looking good.

am6948
08-05-07, 10:29 AM
Good luck on warranty coverage.

I called several dealers in the Houston area and none would cover it as a warranty item. Claimed it was normal as the vehicles aged!

louisn
08-05-07, 09:40 PM
Good luck on warranty coverage.

I called several dealers in the Houston area and none would cover it as a warranty item. Claimed it was normal as the vehicles aged!
Tires and wipers are wear and tear. A defective plastic coating on a body part is not wear and tear especially since it is occurring on both housings at the same time.. It's not a Yugo. BTW, I would never call on an issue like that--Take it in personally and make them put it in writing! It's easy to say NO on the phone. Make them look you in the eye.:mad: BTW am6948 said his dealer wouldn't cover it because the headlights still work. They can say anything--doesn't make them right--that's why the warranty is 4 years!

louisn
08-06-07, 07:35 PM
I took mine to dealer today and they ordered 2 headlight trip pieces or housings. It will be fixed under warranty when the parts arrive. --no argument whatsoever about the warranty's applicability.

smithb
08-07-07, 09:36 PM
I bought my SRX used over a year ago and when I got it it had the peeling headlight in the grey area. I took it to one dealer who said he wouldn't fix it because he claimed I must have used some corrosive cleaner on it. I took it to the other dealer in town and he gladly had GM pay him to fix it. Just shop around. If no luck, call cadillac customer service and complain. Word of warning though, I had to take it to the dealer 3 times. First they ordered non-HID, so they had to reorder them, then they got 2 from another dealer, but they were both for the same side. The third time was the charm though and I've had no problems. I think they didn't align them correctly though because people flash me all the time now. Oh well.

louisn
08-07-07, 11:05 PM
If that is the only outside trim piece that is peeling and it's happening on both sides, it's obviously a factory defect and a warranty item. It seems to occur in a substantial amount of srx's just like the leaky hatch--but just like the water soaked area around the spare tire--if you don't look or notice it, Cadillac won't tell you.

louisn
08-20-07, 07:54 PM
Just got back from having the new headlight housings installed---looks brand new again. While I was there I saw a 2004 on the lot for sale and it had the same problem. I recommend everyone try to get this remedied under their warranty. It is a factory defect!!! I also checked some cheaper old vehicles as well as some older cads and the SRX's were the only ones with this problem. In fact I think it is unique to the srx!!!