: Dashboard Catastrophe.....

DopeStar 156
08-02-07, 09:37 AM
So I noticed there's aftermarket dash pads over the original dash on my '76 DeVille. I pulled one off and this was the mess I ran into.....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1976%20Coupe%20de%20Ville/ughdash1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1976%20Coupe%20de%20Ville/ughdash2.jpg

I started cleaning it up, it doesn't look much better. That black shit is tar by the way. This is the aftermarket dash pad....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1976%20Coupe%20de%20Ville/ughdash3.jpg

For the time being I just stuck it back on. Should I bother cleaning up the original surface or just leave the pad on there? My only conflict is the one on top casts a shadow over the Twilight Sentinel's light sensor.......

CaddyshackCadillac
08-02-07, 09:48 AM
i would recomend using something like a goo be gone or bug and tar remover and slowly see if you can restore that(use a little on a small surface first) you might be surprized with the finished look it might have been preserved all those years

DopeStar 156
08-02-07, 10:11 AM
Not a bad idea. I was actually thinking of leaving it since I found a pretty big crack in the original dash. I think I'll just keep an eye out for a replacement for both the upper and lower parts.....

bicentennialcadillac
08-02-07, 10:17 AM
Replacements are available, and some companies do nice restoration work on these dash types.

Cadillac_Fan
08-02-07, 10:51 AM
Perhaps some rubbing alcohol might do the trick; again, I'd check on a less conspicuous area if it bleaches out the color.

Like you said in an earlier post, you must want to knock the snot out of the dolt who applied it. (While it may have appeared to be a good idea at the time, it sure seems like dashpads, rustproofing/Zieb*rt, and bug shields often do more damage/harm in the long run.)

You've got an awesome deVille, and that power OEM moonroof is absolutely killer.

Highway Star
08-02-07, 12:35 PM
Some mineral spirits might do the trick too. I've used it for cleaning vinyl prior to dye jobs. Maybe use a putty knife to get the thick areas off.

DopeStar 156
08-02-07, 02:40 PM
Well I went back out there with a small scraper, got some of it off and it's worse because it stained...... yep.... cowspots..... I just stuck the dash cover back on.......

Who wants to help me find replacements?! Hahaha.

77CDV
08-02-07, 02:48 PM
Leave the cover on until you're ready to redo the dash properly. You can always make a hole in the cover over the twilight sentinel sensor so it works properly in the interim.

DopeStar 156
08-02-07, 02:52 PM
Leave the cover on until you're ready to redo the dash properly. You can always make a hole in the cover over the twilight sentinel sensor so it works properly in the interim.

Where is the thing so I know where to make the hole?

77CDV
08-02-07, 03:01 PM
Should be under the driver's side radio speaker grille. If you look at the dash through the windshield from outside the car, you'll see it.