: Weird BT BlueTooth Error Today

jhelms
08-01-07, 11:05 PM
Hooked up the BT Bluetooth feature this weekend on the way home from the dealer with the car.

It has been working fine until this afternoon, I got in after work and immediately got a phone call as I was leaving the parking lot.

The radio auto-muted, and the number popped up on the screen with the green and red answer/cancel buttons.

I hit 'green' / answer and heard nothing, did the 'hello' thing a few times, then hung up. Tried to call back (it was my wife) a few times, same thing - no sound.

Here's the weird part, about the 4th or 5th time I called her trying to get it to work, I hit speakerphone on my phone (not on the screen) - I have a SideKick3. Immediately the BT screen indicated "private" but of course if anyone else had been in the car, it certainly would not have been private to continue to talk on speakerphone.

Also, she could clearly hear me the 4 calls when I couldn't hear her.

Kind of a weird issue, anyone had this happen? Not sure why hitting the speakerphone button on my phone would trigger the 'private' button on the BT screen of the car, but that's what it did.

Any tips / thoughts? Thanks!

jgrade
08-02-07, 09:29 AM
Sure, simple problem. Turn up the volume. Sounds dumb, but even if you can hear the VR commands and the radio, it has nothing to do with the volume of the BT. When the radio had off the volume to the BT it does not keep the setting since it is not a real potentiometer. Next time you dial and do not even hear the ringing, try the volume knob.

As far as the speaker phone, you switched the car into private. You can see the private and hands free buttons in the aux screen. I did not know this was possible through BT but then again I never tried it from the phone, always from the screen.

It must be nice for the auto mute to work. I haven't has this work for about a year since I got my first software update.

jhelms
08-02-07, 10:12 AM
Sure, simple problem. Turn up the volume. Sounds dumb, but even if you can hear the VR commands and the radio, it has nothing to do with the volume of the BT. When the radio had off the volume to the BT it does not keep the setting since it is not a real potentiometer. Next time you dial and do not even hear the ringing, try the volume knob.

As far as the speaker phone, you switched the car into private. You can see the private and hands free buttons in the aux screen. I did not know this was possible through BT but then again I never tried it from the phone, always from the screen.

It must be nice for the auto mute to work. I haven't has this work for about a year since I got my first software update.

Cool, that makes sense, I guess I inadvertantly turned down the volume before getting off the phone during a previous call?

I had used the 'private' button before on the screen to take it off 'car speaker' format but thought it was interesting that turning the actual phone speakerphone on (which of course is the opposite of a private call) would trigger the 'private' feature on the screen.

I'm wondering whether or not the software upgrade would be worth it or not.

I was looking at the comments from the post here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-beyond/112284-question-software-update.html

Might just keep using the current software that we have and not upgrade... we'll see.

jhelms
08-02-07, 02:07 PM
Update.... duh it was the volume, but I wish there was some way that it could notify you "hey dummy the volume is all the way down for the phone" on the screen (of course it's unrelated to the volume setting on your handset).

jgrade
08-02-07, 04:41 PM
Don't feel bad, why do you think I knew the answer. My wife is swearing at me because I'm saying hello and she is talking back, but I can't hear her. The whole BT, heck the whole VR system is the pits. I swear the software was written in Chinese translated into German and then shipped to the states for use. Nothing makes sense. Try "windows down" sometime..

dhemrick
08-03-07, 09:47 AM
Don't feel bad, why do you think I knew the answer. My wife is swearing at me because I'm saying hello and she is talking back, but I can't hear her. The whole BT, heck the whole VR system is the pits. I swear the software was written in Chinese translated into German and then shipped to the states for use. Nothing makes sense. Try "windows down" sometime..

Very good analogy. LOL I can get the VR to work for me with a high degree of success, but NOT the "windows down" command. I have never got that to work. Ever. "Windows up" will work, but not down.

Oddly, though, if I switch the vehicle to Spanish mode, I can get all of the commands to work perfectly every time, way better than in English although I am a native (American) English speaker, my English is very clear, and Spanish is a second language. I think the Spanish command is "ventanas abrir" or something like that. If I wanted to ride around with all the menus and displays in Spanish all the time, my VR would be perfect. :bigroll:

By the way, I have done the "volume down while taking a call on bluetooth" thing before. You'd think that it would at least reset to a minimum audible level if it is turned down too far.

thefred
08-03-07, 09:41 PM
By the way, I have done the "volume down while taking a call on bluetooth" thing before. You'd think that it would at least reset to a minimum audible level if it is turned down too far.

I was chuckling when I read about this yesterday. And then it happened to me today!!!

dhemrick
08-04-07, 10:49 AM
Speaking of bluetooth errors, I had another one happen to me yesterday.

I was approacing my car in the parking lot getting ready to enter. About 50 feet from the car, my cell phone rang. I took the call and started talking to the person on the other end. As I got to the door of my car, I stopped being able to hear them or them me, although a check of the handset showed the call was still connected. This is an iPhone so it shows a lot on the screen during a call, and when I looked at it, it showed that I was now connected to "Cadillac STS". Interesting... so my bluetooth was active and connected to the phone although the car was off, hence the microphone and speakers were not working. There was an option called "source" on my phone screen, so I selected that and put it back to Handset and the call resumed.

I had this happen before with my old Razr, but it didn't tell me what it was doing and gave me no option to switch back so I had to terminate the call and redial after getting in and starting the car.

I would think that the car would not allow a bluetooth connection unless the microphone and speakers were working. I kind of like the fact that it automatically swiched over, but it just did it a little too soon. At least let me start the car! :)

Buzz48317
08-11-07, 12:01 PM
The same thing happened to me the other day. Got an incomming call, number popped up on the screen hit the green button on the screen and tried to talk but to no avail. Used the VR button to call the caller back and had no real problems with that call, the caller said that she heard me fine, but I was getting nothing over the speakers from her. Thought at the time that it may have had something to do with listening to my i-pod at the time as it plays through the AUX input (connected to the RCA jacks in the center coun) which as you know is how you access the BT phone in the STS.

Took a couple of calls yesterday with no problems, but used the VR button on the steering wheel to answer and disconnect the calls. Give that a shot the next time and see if it helps.

Buzz48317
08-11-07, 12:09 PM
Speaking of bluetooth errors, I had another one happen to me yesterday.

I was approacing my car in the parking lot getting ready to enter. About 50 feet from the car, my cell phone rang. I took the call and started talking to the person on the other end. As I got to the door of my car, I stopped being able to hear them or them me, although a check of the handset showed the call was still connected. This is an iPhone so it shows a lot on the screen during a call, and when I looked at it, it showed that I was now connected to "Cadillac STS". Interesting... so my bluetooth was active and connected to the phone although the car was off, hence the microphone and speakers were not working. There was an option called "source" on my phone screen, so I selected that and put it back to Handset and the call resumed.

I had this happen before with my old Razr, but it didn't tell me what it was doing and gave me no option to switch back so I had to terminate the call and redial after getting in and starting the car.

I would think that the car would not allow a bluetooth connection unless the microphone and speakers were working. I kind of like the fact that it automatically swiched over, but it just did it a little too soon. At least let me start the car! :)

This happens all the time with my RaZr. This morning I had to get my drycleaning out of the backseat so I pushed the unlock button on the remote and went into the garage, got my shirts, then headed back into the house. I was putting my keys back where they belong and I heard the distinct tone of my telephone disoconnecting from the bluetooth link. Never started the car, and the phone was sitting in my kitchen at least 15 feet from the car...odd that they would program the car to look for the phone before you started the engine. Although I don't like the alternative as the bluetooth link in my Town and Country always takes a few seconds to connect after I start the car, so I suppose I want my cake and I want to eat it too.

thefred
08-12-07, 04:10 PM
Well, I have the opposite problem. I have a Treo and the car NEVER sees my phone. Everytime I get in the car I have to go through the "configure" "connect" scenario to connect. What a pain!

jgrade
08-14-07, 09:11 AM
I assume you set the profile for th Treo as the default. If not it will do exactly what you are describing. Also, if you are paired with another device when the car is discovering devices, it will fail. i need to turn off my earpieces before turning the car on or it will not connect automatically.

thefred
08-14-07, 08:08 PM
Which profile for the Treo should be set to default? My earpiece is turned off but it is stll listed on the Treo as a Trusted Device. Is there a way to "turn it off" on the Treo or do I need to delete it or what?

jgrade
08-15-07, 01:09 PM
You need to set the Treo as the default device in the car. When you browse the screen to see registered devices in the car you will see a default button. Select the Treo profile and set it to default. The handshake process is flaky, so you must be sure the Treo is not currently connected to any other devices and in range of the BT before starting the car. I.E. Headset off before reaching the car.

thefred
08-15-07, 08:18 PM
OK. I did that now. I definitely don't remember seeing that/doing that when I set it up. Now that it is set as default, I see that it is underlined. Lets see how we do tomorrow. Thanks again, jgrade!

jgrade
08-16-07, 10:31 AM
By the way, just pulling the handle on the door will start the discovery process. So, turn off the headset before touching the car.

thefred
09-05-07, 10:38 PM
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I have to commend jgrade on this again. I have had flawless recognition since I turned on the "default" setting. Thanks again!

jgrade
09-07-07, 09:26 AM
Thank you sir. It's nice to be recoginzed. Just doing my part to keep the forum alive.