: SRX Gas Mileage

tjespo22
08-01-07, 11:47 PM
My mom has a SRX. V8. We got it from my aunt. The gas mileage is horrible. You can actually see the gas gauge just move down by looking at it. My mom filled up Sunday night and tuesday morning, she had 1 quater of a tank left. She doesent go crazy and drive 24/7. Just normal stuff like going to work and back which isnt far. Or running to the store etc.. We also have a Envoy Denali Which gets 3x better Gas mileage. My moms SRX gets about 10-11 mpg. Any suggestions to fix this. Filter/Exhaust? Is there something wrong with it or are they all like this?

Thanks
espo

B Hoth
08-02-07, 01:05 AM
Welcome to the site. This not the typical milage. It should be 14-16 average, with some getting a little better with a light foot. Check air filter and tire pressure first. If they are good, then it could be several things or combinations. Clogged injectors, bad O2 sensors, exhaust issue, etc, etc. If your still under warranty, have it checked out with a diagnostic test.

Are you sure a light foot is being used? :tisk:

tjespo22
08-02-07, 03:11 AM
Ok, Thanks alot. I will tell my mom. Appreciate your help.

73Thumper
08-02-07, 09:57 AM
I have a 07 SRX V8 AWD - and it is a PIGGY... I love the car - didn't expect great milage - but thought it might do slightly better with the 6 speed they put n the 07's. I was wrong. City driving around 13, highway mid 17's - if I I keep it at speed limit. I do keep the tires at the low end of inflation recommendations - but only because it has the factory 20" rims and the lower inflation helps the ride. I have since added more air to see if it helps mileage. Now the good news here, is when you do press the loud pedal - it moves along VERY well and still makes me smile (except at the gas pump). I would check the tire pressures first. I think there is another thread on the forum on what individuals are using for tire pressures...

donjumpsuit
08-02-07, 10:56 AM
i ride mine like a disobedient step child, and I get 13mpg. or 12.9 to be exact. Any less than this and you may have a problem. California even has emmision controls and 10% ethanol in the gas, which does give lower mileage than other states gases.

terryk
08-02-07, 12:20 PM
People claim the V8 gets within 1 MPG of the V6. I just don't see that. Our 05 V6 gets 25MPG at 70MPH on flat ground and right now our city/highway average (maybe 50/50) is sitting at 21 MPG on the DIC.

No doubt the extra HP from the V8 is nice!

TK

DVC-Don
08-02-07, 12:34 PM
My wife has the V6 and I get better mileage when I drive it than she does. She's a bit zippier than me I guess.

TSS
08-02-07, 12:39 PM
I have a 07 SRX V8 AWD - and it is a PIGGY...

My 07 AWD Lade gets better gas mileage highway (19.5) than my 06 SRX AWD V-8 did - no kidding. I could squeeze 19 highway w. A/C on out of the SRX on my best day, but usually my overall DIC average was about 12.5-13.5.

Also, could be a clogged fuel filter in addition to the other issues outlined above. Lastly, invest 45 bucks in a K&N drop-in air filter. Before the filter, My SRX could not even get 19 under perfect conditions.

Wind Breaker
08-03-07, 10:02 AM
Our V6 SRX got 16 - 18 at best. Going up into the mountains to Yosemite it barely did better than 12 hand calc'd. Much less than as reported by GM. If I was heavy footed, I'd expect this kind of mileage.
Because of this and all the other problems with our SRX - it's history. Sold it, oh by the way, they don't hold value worth a damn either. Hope you all have better luck with your SRX than I.

b4z
08-03-07, 08:46 PM
If the OP is getting 10-11mpg, does she have it in "4" or "D"?

My brand new '07 V6 better loosen up cause it is only getting 15mpg around town.
I am thinking the Ultraview must really mess up the airflow because the '04 would pull 23 mpg at 70mph.

Snow Thrower
08-03-07, 08:55 PM
i just got an 04 v6 and right now i'm viewing 18 mpg part city/country driving no highway.

mikek84121
08-03-07, 11:07 PM
I've got about 1200 miles on the car, around 700 on the new engine and have been getting 15.5 mpg with about 50/50 street/highway driving on the last two tankfuls of premium. I'm hoping to get it to around 17 after some more miles. My '07 Vette with 1700 miles is getting 22.5 mpg with the same type of driving. That thing will easily get 30+ on the highway. Too bad the SRX isn't as thrifty.

tjespo22
08-04-07, 01:19 AM
she doeset drive slow, but not a speed deamon. She does the speed limit mabe 5-10 mph more. Its now getting under 10mpg. The air pressure in the tires is normal. If i didnt mention it already, there's 45,000 miles on it.

b4z
08-04-07, 09:23 AM
Do you smell a rotten egg smell. If so, it is running rich and there is too much gas being dumped into the engine.
She has the gear selector in "D", right?

c5 rv
08-04-07, 09:50 AM
My 06 v6 RWD has about 16K miles on it and I'm averaging about 21.5 MPG per the DIC with about 80% highway driving.

rotharch
08-04-07, 09:36 PM
I have an O6 6 cylinder RWD. Gas mileage averages 19 city 25 highway, normal driving conditions, slightly above speed limit. I am pleased with that. I suggest that you watch your driving habits...smooth starts and stops, easy acceleration. That should help a lot.

jtpcpa
08-05-07, 12:24 AM
I have a Black w/cashmere 07 RWD V6. Took delivery June 28 and have about 1100 miles on odometer through today. First two tanks only gave 13.2-13.4 mpg per the DIC. Now getting about 14.2 in mostly urban, stop & go driving using 87 octane gas. I am learning to coast with a constant eye on the instant mpg display. Initial acceleration seems to be the problem - using full time automatic, mpg through 20 mph while accelerating goes from 3-7 mpg, then from 10-16mg up to 35 mph, finally into the 22mpg and better ranges after 35-40 mph. Seems I should be able to do better. Will have computer checked on 1st service.

PS, some low life sob keyed the right rear and front doors this afternoon. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

louisn
08-05-07, 09:07 AM
My Srx 4 wheel drive Northstar gets 12 mpg in city driving and maybe 20 on the interstate--MY Accord 6 speed gets 16-17 in the same driving situations although it get well over 30 on the interstate. Gas mileage, especially in the city, is totally so dependent on your area and how you drive--stoplights, and stop signs and speed limits and any rural roads involved.... et al--- that any viable comparisons as to a few mpg difference are not significant.:tisk:

b4z
08-05-07, 10:30 AM
Wonder how many millions of barrels of oil we would save if all stoplights were synchronized?

tjespo22
08-06-07, 01:23 AM
Yes she has it in "d". Also, today we tried running 93 octane gas on the way home from the nj shore. we were on the highway. but in stop and go traffic. and the mpg went to 15.5. and when we put the 93 oct in, it still had a quater or regular gas in the tank

King3244
08-06-07, 01:45 AM
Okay now you said it is up to 15.5.... is that after resetting it or are you just letting it accumulate?

I have an 04 N* AWD and I get 16 in the city and 25 on the highway.........but.........when I go out on the highway I reset my dic to zero and start fresh......and that is mountain highway at 70 mph.

tjespo22
08-06-07, 03:15 AM
we reset it. but can running better gas (we usually get regular) help that much?.. If the injectors were putting in too much fuel, wouldnt the car know it and the engine check light would come on? If we bring it to the dealer, would they even bother trying to fix it? Last time we went there they told us it all depends on the driver. well my mom isnt doing 80+ all the time.. and it shouldnt be getting 9-10 mpg.

mikek84121
08-06-07, 07:12 AM
King3244, I reset my mpg at every fill-up.

louisn
08-06-07, 07:39 AM
we reset it. but can running better gas (we usually get regular) help that much?.. If the injectors were putting in too much fuel, wouldnt the car know it and the engine check light would come on? If we bring it to the dealer, would they even bother trying to fix it? Last time we went there they told us it all depends on the driver. well my mom isnt doing 80+ all the time.. and it shouldnt be getting 9-10 mpg.
Are her trips less than 2 miles with mostly stop and go? If that is case I could see getting right at 10-12 miles per gallon. Try driving a few hundred on the interstate without any stop and go driving at all at 80 mph and I bet you get about 18-20 mpg. Stop and go driving is a mpg killer for a powerful V-8 moving a 4500 lbs from a dead stop. AS I said, my srx get 12 mpg in the city but is smooth as silk and runs like a bat-that's why I bought her.

donjumpsuit
08-06-07, 10:56 AM
Take it from me,
I am the worst offender for inappropriate acceleration out of stop lights, on highways, in the middle of town, I am in traffic, wait at a bunch of lights, and all of the above (not too much elevation changes). I am also in california which has some of the strictest pollution control in the gas (about 9% ethanol) which makes a difference. I get no less than 12mpg all the time/every time.

If you are getting less than 10mpg (after you fill up and reset the counter, and account for a total tank of gas) there is something wrong and you should pull into a dealer for a full diagnostic.

onewhippedpuppy
08-06-07, 05:16 PM
Yes she has it in "d". Also, today we tried running 93 octane gas on the way home from the nj shore. we were on the highway. but in stop and go traffic. and the mpg went to 15.5. and when we put the 93 oct in, it still had a quater or regular gas in the tank

The V8 is designed for 91 octane or better. Using lower octane gas causes it to retard the timing, gas mileage and performance will suffer. Using 91 octane I got a bit over 21 MPG coming back to Wichita from Denver with my V8 AWD. Normal mixed driving seems to hover around 15 MPG.

My '03 4Runner V6 only "recomended" premium, but I found that highway MPG improved 4 MPG using 91 octane over 87 octane. Any vehicle that requires 91 octane should get it. Also note that most ECUs take a period of time to re-learn, so simply running a tank of 91 octane won't improve much. Run 91 or better for a month or so, and pay attention to the MPG. If it doesn't improve, get it into the dealer, before that warranty expires!

73Thumper
08-08-07, 10:01 PM
2007 AWD V8, Just returned from a 300+ mile trip (each direction) Reset comp. each way. Front tires at 31PSI, rears at 33PSI (cold) (I have factory 20's so that is 1 pound above the recommendeds.) Some freeway (about 70%) some highway - never over 80mph, typically 77 freeway, 63 highway. Some stop and go. 5 adults, baggage, and air. Ideal air temp (75 degrees) and minimal wind. I drove out - 19.1mpg, my son drove home (18.9mpg) I am pretty happy with that. Maybe it can get 20 with no load. Oh, fuel grade was midgrade at 89 octane. Will be adding Volant CAI and Corsa mufflers yet this year and will see if there is much of a change.

Paulie Walnuts
08-09-07, 08:12 AM
PEOPLE............C'mon. We are all driving Cadillac's with V-8's - and we all probably picked the SRX because of their performance as measured against a larger - but wonderful - Escalade. We can afford the gas.....So Punch-IT! Every time, all the time - and smile wide while we increase all of our carbon footprints...........That's how we roll!

TSS
08-09-07, 09:41 AM
First, the SRX is awesome - loved my 2006 AWD V-8.

However, as a point of clarification, my 07 Lade is much faster than my SRX was (403 HP - no re-flash issues). True 0-60 in just over six and a half seconds. Second, I get almost equal MPG with both. I can get 19.5-20 MPG highway in the Lade at 65MPH with the A/C on (I have the "smaller" 18 inch wheels - not the 22s). The V8 in the SRX is thirsty. If by performance, you mean handling, then the SRX not only beats, but totally kills the Lade (at least mine with MRC was stellar!).

I only mention this, not to disparage the SRX (read first paragraph again), but just to clarify for those thinking about moving to a larger verhicle like I did. You will not suffer in terms of MPG or acceleration.

Nonetheless Paulie, I completely agree with you that we are driving Cadillacs with V8 engines - if somebody was that concerned about MPG, a V8 AWD Cadillac is a mistake no matter if you choose the V8 SRX-4, AWD Escalade, or V8 STS-4. However, if you want luxury and power to spare, they are awesome! So, punch it and enjoy the ride.

73Thumper
08-09-07, 01:55 PM
I agree, you buy a V8 - you pay the price. My only issue with poor milage (and now I know mine is fine at 19mpg while driving slightly above the posted speed limits) is I chose a 4500lb GM vs my other selections (6000lb Ford/Lincoln) in hopes of a little better fuel milage from the SRX. (I would have been looking at 16mpg on a good day for the other selections) It is great to hear the new Escalade's get that kind of fuel milage. Nothing like having your cake and eating it to, For me it was just a price point - I wanted a 07 and just could not afford the bigger price tag on the Escalades. I did drive a loaded Denali (07) and just from my personal perspective - I think my 07 SRX is just a fast as the Denali. (assuming I put the tranny is "sport" mode) Not sure of motor differences between the Denali and the Escalade though.

TSS
08-09-07, 02:23 PM
2007 Yukon Denali: 380 HP/ 415 TQ
2007 Escalade: 403 HP/417 TQ

Yukon/Tahoe: 320 HP/ ??? TQ

Same 6.2 engine in the Denali and Escalade. Escalade likely a bit heavier. My Lade is definitely quicker than my particular SRX was. If the SRX actually did the early production 0-60 6.4 second runs (before re-flash), it would beat the Lade. Again, throw a curve or two in there and the SRX is champion.

Back on topic, sorry, I guess I was little disappointed in the SRX mileage (not enough to complain though) and pleasantly surprised by the Lade. Both are very solid vehicles.

rocketshipsrx
08-09-07, 03:55 PM
Just returned from a 1,100 mile road trip through the Sierra's, with our 06' v8 awd. The avg. was 19.6 mpg not bad, but what a great ride!

onewhippedpuppy
08-10-07, 08:35 AM
For what it is, the SRX gas mileage is a bit of a dissapointment. Especially when you consider that the much larger Escalade, with a bigger more powerful V8, can manage the same or better. But, if gas mileage was the #1 priority, we'd all be driving a Prius.

TSS
08-10-07, 12:17 PM
For what it is, the SRX gas mileage is a bit of a dissapointment. Especially when you consider that the much larger Escalade, with a bigger more powerful V8, can manage the same or better. But, if gas mileage was the #1 priority, we'd all be driving a Prius.

All true. However, keep in mind that they did a lot of R&D to get the Lade mileage where is is now. Before the new 2007 model, the SRX v8 got FAR BETTER mileage than the 2002-2006 Lades. Apples to apples, a 2006 SRX is better than a 2006 Lade with respect to BOTH perfromance and mileage. So, when they redesign (if there is a next model SRX), I am pretty confident that improving mileage without affecting performance will also be a top priority.

louisn
08-10-07, 12:57 PM

However, as a point of clarification, my 07 Lade is much faster than my SRX was (403 HP - no re-flash issues). True 0-60 in just over six and a half seconds.
double post

louisn
08-10-07, 01:00 PM

However, as a point of clarification, my 07 Lade is much faster than my SRX was (403 HP - no re-flash issues). True 0-60 in just over six and a half seconds.
By all objective criteria that I've seen and road tests, the SRX V-8 Northstar is just as fast from 0-60 than the Escalade. BTW, The re-flash had no effect whatsoever on my srx.:worship:

PERK
08-10-07, 04:01 PM
Bought a used /04 SRX8AWD loaded and discovered we were getting less that 15MPG average...
Dealer ran all the tests and found nothing wrong , even had them write their opinion on the work order that 13 to 15 was considered average for these vehicles...Cadillac customer hot line said 17 was tested average but depends on driver etc..,not much sympathy from this forum either...
The bottom line is I tried a can of Techron and surprise,surprise it had been dirty injectors all along..now getting 17+ average..
Not all of these cars coming out of Detroit are built the same and if the computer does not indicate a problem
mechanics are not allowed to think anymore..
Don't give up..
Perk

TSS
08-10-07, 06:29 PM
By all objective criteria that I've seen and road tests, the SRX V-8 Northstar is just as fast from 0-60 than the Escalade. BTW, The re-flash had no effect whatsoever on my srx.:worship:

Just basing it on my own experience having unfettered access to both, having owed both - and driven both back to back for a month while my lease was being tranferred on the SRX. All vehicles are different. Maybe my SRX was slower than yours.

Oso
08-23-07, 04:47 PM
My '05 V6 with drop in K&N plus a little gadget that goes in the pipe between the filter box and the intake called a Turbonator will get 26 - 28 on the flat cruising at a mere 62 MPH. 62 seems to be the optimum speed. Faster, it goes down quickly, slower doesn't seem to help. Everyday driving, some city, some congested freeway I average around 19 to 21. I use fuel injector cleaner every 3000 miles and keep the tires at 38 psi.

TSS
08-23-07, 07:24 PM
Just wondering , what are you getting in real world driving ? 62 is too fast for city and too slow for SAFE highway driving . No offense, but I have never heard anything other than the turbonator is a scam. I have never tried one though .

b4z
08-24-07, 09:18 AM
I think if the speed limit is 55mph 62 is a good speed for cruising and mileage.
This is a vehicle with a lot of frontal area and once the speed gets over 60 aero becomes the main factor and
since the V6s have a 3.73 or 3.91 gear mileage is not going to be great at 75mph and above.
Especially when we factor in the .75 5th gear vs. the .70 in the old 4 speeds and .67 in the 6 speeds.
Caddy could easily take out the 3.23 in the V8s and put a 2.93 in and take out the 3.73s in the V6s and put in 3.45s,
but the transmissions would hunt in and out of overdrive on small hills and under load.

mike_1103
08-30-07, 09:59 PM
Here are my observations on our 2008 SRX V6 AWD, after 1 month of ownership and 1954 km (1219 miles):

Average fuel consumption - CITY: 18 l/100 km (13 MPG);
Average fuel consumption - HWY: 14 l/100 km (17 MPG);
Total Average fuel consumption: 16 l/100 km (15 MPG);

Average driving speed is 115 km/h (71 MPH) on highways, and 60 km/h (37 MPH) in the city.

I find these numbers a little bit on the high side, I probably could get better figures by slowing down a little bit... but do I really want to?

In comparison, my 2005 Chevy Equinox V6 AWD gave me an average fuel consumption of 14 l/100 km (17 MPG) for 56,000 km (35,000 miles) over the last three years, under the same (but less pleasant) driving conditions.

Mike

Richard V8
10-12-07, 07:56 PM
Espo,
Just to join the fray...I have an '04 V8 AWD with schizo mileage. 11-12.9 in town;
19-22 on highway (or, here in so cal, a freeway that is moving along at 45mph. That speed is prob why I do so well!)
I do like to floor it on occassion, I must admit. Talk about city / highway mileage!

JD2004
10-18-07, 07:43 PM
My 04 SRX V8 AWD gets 21-23mpg highway at 70mph on level surfaces. 15-19 in Colorado mountain driving. And 15-16mpg citydriving. I drive normally, not very slow, not very fast.

Oso
10-26-07, 05:25 PM
TSS,

Here in the Land of Cleves we still have some 55 and 60 MPH speed limits and cops that love to ticket. The economy here is in the dumper so all the local law enforcement agencies augment the tax base with agressive speed enforcement and luxury cars are a prime target.

This is how I feel. :banghead:

TSS
10-27-07, 11:29 AM
TSS,

Here in the Land of Cleves we still have some 55 and 60 MPH speed limits and cops that love to ticket. The economy here is in the dumper so all the local law enforcement agencies augment the tax base with agressive speed enforcement and luxury cars are a prime target.

This is how I feel. :banghead:

That stinks. Honestly, I was shocked. All highways here are 70 MPH and you are safe at anything 75 MPH and below. Some places relatively safe up to 79 MPH. 80 is the magic number if you want to get pulled over. When you originally posted 62 MPH, I was thinking you were a slow poke holding up traffic. My bad, appologies, and most of all condolences for you having to drive that slow. On the plus side, you are getting some of the best MPG on here!