: I was gonna be busy all day. - Yes, pictures of the Phaeton.

Benzilla
08-01-07, 10:58 PM
First off, sorry I don't have very good pictures, I didn't have time to drive to a good shooting location. Anyway.

Here it is! I got it back from paint July 31st and spent today detailing it. Brand new paint, nothin' like it.

As you can see, I got the pinstriping done in a new color - light gold metallic. I think it looks a lot better than the saddle & brown that was on there before, it lightly accents the color instead of competing with it. Also, I don't have the door lock wreaths back on, and the antenna is still off, so it's not quite complete... but you get the picture. The paint is sooo shiny! It's like a mirror, just how I wanted it. As you can see I also got the license plate fillers done in the correct silver.

But enough words, we need pictures!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_1454.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_1425.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_1475.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_1513.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_1431.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_1472.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_1471.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_1498.jpg

Did you notice my Goodfellas tribute on the car?

Again, wish I had better pictures for you, but that will come with time. I just wanted to give you something to look at, I know a few people have been following the story and wanted to see it.

Hope you like!

Ben.

bicentennialcadillac
08-01-07, 11:04 PM
Congratulations. She's beautiful, and worth the wait.

I like the tribute plate, but I'd leave the lock wreaths off. Just me.

jayoldschool
08-01-07, 11:08 PM
Congrats, man! It looks fantastic. Cool plate:thumbsup:

CaddyshackCadillac
08-01-07, 11:11 PM
gorgeous,the pinstripe sets it of beautifully.......

93DevilleUSMC
08-01-07, 11:11 PM
Wow, what'd you use?

90Brougham350
08-01-07, 11:16 PM
Oh wow! Ben, that Phaeton looks fantastic. You've got a car any of us would be proud to own, that's for sure!

Brian

CaddyshackCadillac
08-01-07, 11:31 PM
yea well it def gives me some motivation i mean that car from the inside out is prestine its any caddy mans dream its tuff doin all that and not having it be your daily driver i know im gonna wanna make mine a daily after its all beautiful looking.........

Benzilla
08-01-07, 11:31 PM
Thanks guys, USMC; the paint is PPG urethane. But of course it was wet sanded and buffed a ton.

Glad you like the plate, it was done by this guy who can make any plate, any year. It's just plastic, but the lettering is done to look 3D, it actually looks like a real plate to the untrained eye. I just had to have it, to complete the look. The pictures just don't do the car justice, but it's all I can do with my lowly 1.3 megapixel Kodak. lol.

Ben.

Night Wolf
08-01-07, 11:41 PM
Wow.... looks awesome!

Mind me asking how much that ran you?

Personally, I like the double pin stripe... in a contrasting color... it really makes the car pop out.

Benzilla
08-01-07, 11:50 PM
Thanks, sure I'll tell you.

So, I'd gotten to be good friends with the guy during the last few months, and we have a lot of mutual friends who had gone to him for paint work in the past. So when I picked it up and started counting out hundreds, he gave me the shock of my life. Said he really enjoyed working on the car, and let's make us both happy... he did it for just over cost. So this whole beautiful urethane paint job was $1,200 in the end. You could have knocked me over with a damn feather. I practically kissed him. At all the other shops I went to, I was quoted 3-4k for the same exact job.

I knew as soon as I saw your name that you'd tell me to get a double pinstripe, lol! I liked it on yours but it's just not my personal style.

Thanks again.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-02-07, 12:01 AM
Wow, it's like 1979 all over again. Now you've gotta go out and cruise around while listening to Smashing Pumpkins "1979".

Highway Star
08-02-07, 12:02 AM
Looks super Ben, love the grille too (and nice touch with the plate)!

Cadillac Giovanni
08-02-07, 12:15 AM
That second picture is beautiful, it looks like something right out of an original Ad for the car.

Wheelman322
08-02-07, 12:33 AM
Just got off work otherwise I would have replied hours ago. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said besides
:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

And yes... I noticed and love the "Goodfella's" tribute. I can't believe that beautiful work only cost $1500. You should definately buy him a bottle of blue label or whatever he likes.

CaddymanTom
08-02-07, 12:57 AM
Ben,

It looks great. However I expected no less from you. You have a great looking stable of Cadillacs there. The pinstriping is suttle enough to give the lines dimension without shocking you. You have a fine car. Drive it proudly.:thumbsup:

Jonas McFeely
08-02-07, 02:34 AM
Bastard.

One day mine will look as good as yours. :rolleyes:

Congratulations.

Night Wolf
08-02-07, 04:44 AM
I'm also impressed as to the condition of allt he chrome.... that is what also makes the car.... sadly, I am gonna have to try and find new chrome, or stick the old chrome back on mine... or try to poilish it up.... we'll have to see...

urbanski
08-02-07, 06:50 AM
:drool:

Cadillac_Fan
08-02-07, 09:14 AM
I cannot put to words how immaculate and amazingly gorgeous your Phaeton turned out. Congratulations! Your pinstripe selection couldn't have been better, too. Henry Hill would be proud.

(While others have said to the contrary, my vote is for the lock wreaths.)

Mud
08-02-07, 10:06 AM
3-4K would have been a good price based on the amount of prep and color sanding that was done - $1200 is phenomenal.
Looks fantastic, I really like the slightly wider whitewalls on the car as well.

Thumbs up, nicely done.

CaddyshackCadillac
08-02-07, 10:51 AM
I'm also impressed as to the condition of allt he chrome.... that is what also makes the car.... sadly, I am gonna have to try and find new chrome, or stick the old chrome back on mine... or try to poilish it up.... we'll have to see...

i was watching a car show on tv and they were restoring an old vehicle and the guy breaks out oven cleaner sprayed it on the old oxidized chrome let it sit for 10 minutes then used a polish with a pilishing wheel for his drill and the whole thing looked brand new when he was done i was amazed.....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-02-07, 11:20 AM
Whoa, I didn't even notice you've got the OEM grille back on there! It looks so much better w/o the hannibal lecter mask.

eldorado99
08-02-07, 12:52 PM
That is one perfect car you have there Ben. I don't see a single flaw! I hope my car ends up as shiny as yours. However, I demand more pics! I agree with the others though, the pinstriping could not be better suited to that car, and I don't normally go for pinstriping. The grille is a huge improvement as well. I wish I could put a novelty plate on the front of my car but they don't let you do that where I live unfortunately.

Seeing yours is making me even more excited about seeing mine completed. :bouncy:

Wheelman322
08-02-07, 01:56 PM
Before
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/wheelman322/79PhaetonCoupeDeville.jpg
After
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e201/wheelman322/79PhaetonCoupeDeville2.jpg

77CDV
08-02-07, 03:10 PM
Ben,

Roget doesn't have enough words to describe how stunning your car looks! "Luscious" is about the only word that almost captures it. I feel like I could literally dive into that paint. And for 1200?!? Buy that man some 18-year-old Glenlivit (actually, have your dad buy it, as you're not quite old enough). My only very minor quibble would be the pinstripe color. It picks up the gold tones in the paint very well, but it may be a little too understated, as it's barely visible in the pics unless you're right close up or at the right angle. Overall, though, you have a car that needs make no apologies. Enjoy!

Craig

96Fleetwood
08-02-07, 03:43 PM
Looks fantastic! Please tell me it has a garage spot?

Destroyer
08-02-07, 05:53 PM
Like everyone else said, car looks fantastic!.:thumbsup:

Benzilla
08-02-07, 06:02 PM
Ben,

Roget doesn't have enough words to describe how stunning your car looks! "Luscious" is about the only word that almost captures it. I feel like I could literally dive into that paint. And for 1200?!? Buy that man some 18-year-old Glenlivit (actually, have your dad buy it, as you're not quite old enough). My only very minor quibble would be the pinstripe color. It picks up the gold tones in the paint very well, but it may be a little too understated, as it's barely visible in the pics unless you're right close up or at the right angle. Overall, though, you have a car that needs make no apologies. Enjoy!

Craig
Thanks, the pinstripe actually shows up more in person than it does in the pictures. In person you can see it from a good 10-15 feet depending on the light. And yes, that 21 age limit really gets in the way of things, lol. Should have left it at 18.. oh well. I just bought a new 10 megapixel camera today, so I'll get some better pictures soon. I still have a couple things to put back on, too.

Wheelman, that's not even close to my true 'before', were you here to see the really old pictures? Let me fix that for you.

Oh, and of course it has a garage space! climate controlled. ;)

For real this time

BEFORE

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_0429.jpg

AFTER

I'll get the rest of the trim installed, and take some sharp pictures. But it looks like it's about to rain right now..

Wheelman322
08-02-07, 06:34 PM
Thanks, the pinstripe actually shows up more in person than it does in the pictures. In person you can see it from a good 10-15 feet depending on the light. And yes, that 21 age limit really gets in the way of things, lol. Should have left it at 18.. oh well. I just bought a new 10 megapixel camera today, so I'll get some better pictures soon. I still have a couple things to put back on, too.

Wheelman, that's not even close to my true 'before', were you here to see the really old pictures? Let me fix that for you.

For real this time

BEFORE

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_0429.jpg

AFTER

I'll get the rest of the trim installed, and take some sharp pictures. But it looks like it's about to rain right now..

Yeah...Sorry about that Ben. I noticed the before picture didn't look that bad after I posted it up. But, on the plus side, you should be flattered to know I have a picture of your Phaeton saved in my HD. LOL. Anyway, good luck and please post more pictures at your convenience.

Jonas McFeely
08-02-07, 07:33 PM
WTF youre only 20? Wow, am i behind the ball...:eek::rolleyes:

Benzilla
08-02-07, 09:12 PM
Yeah...Sorry about that Ben. I noticed the before picture didn't look that bad after I posted it up. But, on the plus side, you should be flattered to know I have a picture of your Phaeton saved in my HD. LOL. Anyway, good luck and please post more pictures at your convenience.
haha, that's cool, I have some of yours on my rotating screen saver. I guess it's the mutual admiration club. But you do have one hella clean caddy, and it has been inspiration for mine. I was going to head out to a shooting location with the new camera tonight, but then it started to downpour... that's that. Hopefully I'll get some tomorrow. Saturday I'm taking it to it's first cruise-in since the job was done. I'll snap a couple there too probably, I'm also taking my Cutlass.

WTF youre only 20? Wow, am i behind the ball...:eek::rolleyes:
hey that's right, I forgot you're so young. cool to see more 'young people' that can see beyond MTV and F&F. Even though are taste in music differs...

More pics soon ;)

Ben.

gdwriter
08-03-07, 12:06 AM
Wow, wow, and wow!

Ben, it's gorgeous, stunning and magnificent. And a bona fide bargain to boot.

93DevilleUSMC
08-03-07, 12:27 AM
[QUOTE=Benzilla;1163060]Thanks guys, USMC; the paint is PPG urethane. But of course it was wet sanded and buffed a ton.

Wow, she's beautiful!

MaineWater
08-04-07, 09:00 PM
WoW Looks great and that price of 1,200 was impressive for such a nice paint job, hope I can have my car done that good when I get the money.

77CDV
08-04-07, 09:56 PM
Ben,

You know, the car never did look bad, just tired. Even just the cleaning up you gave her made a world of difference, and now with the new paint job, the Copper Contessa really looks a treat. These cars really need young guys like you, DopeStar, Jonas, and Rick to bring them back to life. A little sweat, a little obsession, and look at the dividends you reap. Keep up the good work!

Craig

Benzilla
08-04-07, 10:17 PM
Thanks, how do you come up with those names? lol, I love it. That will probably stick. It really is great to see appreciation for these cars, without the abuse of ghettoizing (I think I invented a word) That's why I like this forum, we're mostly purists here and it's refreshing.

I know I promised you guys more pictures tonight, but I got rained out AGAIN, so you'll have to wait. But I promise sometime this week you'll get much better pics of the 'Copper Contessa' lol.

'till then,
Ben.

eldorado99
08-07-07, 02:02 AM
I can't wait for the good pictures Ben, they will be on my screensaver when you post them. I just got back from a 5 day fishing trip today and took my car in for paint this morning, so it has begun!

By the way, do you have any tips of do's and don'ts for caring for a brand new paint job that you would care to share with me? I'd appreciate any knowledge you have to offer.

madmike69
08-07-07, 12:45 PM
Hi Ben,

your Car is fantastic !! You stole it from Ray Liotta, right? Haha...

I hope to get my Brougham look like as shiny as yours by doing a lot of polish and wax...
But i will have the trunk repainted, it won´t shine anymore...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-07-07, 01:37 PM
Is the thread title a reference to Goodfellas? I think I just finally got that.

Benzilla
08-07-07, 03:49 PM
Sorry I'm keeping you waiting so long for good pictures, the weather here is unbearable. Either raining or 95* and full sun.

As far as caring for new paint, common sense can take you far. Keep it garaged, away from bird shit and acid rain, watch what towels you use on it, keep it uncovered for the first 4-6 months to let it breathe. And do not wax it for six months. I brought mine home a week after it was painted, and he said it was cured enough to wash without worrying about marring. Just keep the wax off of it and you're good. Wax can seal in solvents that need to evaporate, causing blemishes. Hope that helps.

So, I still don't have any great pictures with fitting backgrounds or anything, but here's a few decent ones I was able to snap before heat exhaustion.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_0066.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_0067.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_0052.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_0058.jpg

Here you can see my freshly painted center caps. I also took a few hours on my knees with a toothbrush and industrial cleaner scrubbing between spokes. I think it was worth it.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/101_0001.jpg

I'm negotiating with the owner of a multi-million dollar mansion in the area to use his driveway, that would turn out wonderfully since the car is originally from Beverly hills and all.

Hope those pics can do for now :)

Ben.

P.S. Chad, yes, lol.

Cadillac_Fan
08-07-07, 04:06 PM
Absolutely stunning. I know you are likely running tired and thin on patience for all of the picture requests, yet it would be fantastic to see some interior shots, too. (Forgive me if you've previously posted them - I'll try digging up a past thread.)

Great to see you reapplied the lock wreaths. It does add to the appearance.

Seeing your '79 has me rethinking whether I truly want to pursue a '90-'92 Brougham, as I'd love to get behind the wheel of another '79. (I sorely miss my '79 Fleetwood Brougham.) You can't beat the engine, and the appearance is beyond striking.

I hope that fellow who owns the mansion is willing to let you snap a few photos on location. Your Phaeton is most likely the finest in the U.S., if not on Earth. Congrats again on the phenomenal outcome.

Benzilla
08-07-07, 05:06 PM
Thanks, I don't get tired of picture requests, it's just a matter of finding the time and correct conditions. I've posted a couple of interior pictures before, but I don't have anything current out. I'll take some fresh ones as soon as I get a chance.

Owning both '77-'79 and '90-'92 styles, I have to say that either would be a great choice, it all depends on what you want. I personally like the '77-'79 better in Coupe form, but I blame that partly on seeing a dearth of well cared for Sedans. If I did go for a four door, it would be a Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance. However the TBI 350 in the '90-'92 is a very worthy rival to the classic 425.

Thanks again for the kind words, I'll definitly post if I get to shoot in front of the mansion. And I'll work on those interior shots ;)

Ben.

gornati
03-04-09, 04:27 PM
any recent pictures?

occupant
03-04-09, 07:53 PM
I think this car's BEFORE pictures were the basis for the "beater" Emperor in GTA IV. And they probably used the engine sound from my Electra, complete with the backfire when you stand on it, the black smoke, and the hesitation on takeoff.

Excellent job on the detailing. This is what I do, polishing turds. You take a $500 beater and clean it and polish it and pick up junkyard bits and eBay bits until it looks front line ready. I'm 1/3 of the way done with the Electra now. If this was a Buick forum I'd post pics. *whines* but at least I have TWILIGHT SENTINEL!!!

75sled
03-05-09, 01:00 PM
haven't heard from Benz in a while. I have been curious myself as to what projects he has going on. The last i remember was the red coupe that he brought back to life with a little elbow grease.

greencadillacmatt
03-06-09, 05:54 AM
WOW!!! I can't believe how NICE that car is. It looks Factory Fresh! I hope to have my Cad re-painted some day. That is a crazy sweet car you have there Ben. WOW! :worship:

Benzilla
03-07-09, 11:08 PM
Hi guys, sorry I've been a ghost lately. TONS of stuff going on lately, life changing really.

The Phaeton still looks pretty much like it did then, although right now the center stack of the dash is out. I was working on the air, then it got put on hold last fall. Also, I need to replace the fuel pump, nothing big. After that, it's complete.

Hope to be around more, lots of updates to talk about!

later,

Ben

jayoldschool
03-07-09, 11:21 PM
WELCOME BACK, BEN! Now, if Anthony would just show up...