: My hands-on review of the 2008 CTS

The Tony Show
08-01-07, 05:59 PM
I got to spend some good time in a fleet of 2008 CTSs today, all different levels (FE1, 2 and 3, PFI and DI engines). I hate long posts, so I'll keep it short:

Exterior styling is amazing in person. The rear fender flares look almost cartoonish (in a good way) from the rear 3/4 view. Seriously, it's like a photoshopped picture of a CTS with fender flares. The chrome accents and grill are tasteful, and the panel gaps and fitment are top notch.

Opening and closing the doors, they feel much more solid than before. Not heavier, but there's a real precision to the feel of the hinges and the "whump" you get when closing the door. Interior is stellar, as we've all seen in the pictures. Better room in the backseat by a few inches, and the pop-up nav and 40GB HDD are wicked cool.

Driving it is similar to the current model, but with a more stable feel from the 2in wider track and a slightly smoother ride (probably the Michelins). The steering felt a tad more isolated to me (less road feedback), but wasn't numb. It's a great driving car. Downshifts using the DSC are now accompanied by a nice rev match, as opposed to the lurch forward the current model gives you as the transmission drags the car down in speed. The power felt nice, but I can't really comment on it since my DD is a modded V. Not many cars feel fast to me anymore.

There's a few silly things I didn't like (the red LCD gear indicator and the Ultraview shade), but all in all it's a phenomenal car. An evolution of the current car, improved in almost every way without ruining what made the CTS so great.

Acqua7
08-01-07, 06:04 PM
:thumbsup:

urbanski
08-01-07, 06:27 PM
thanks TTS :)

Zymurgy
08-01-07, 09:32 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i252/zymurgyphotos/Smilies/respect.gif

Very :cool:.

I'm jealous that you were able to get to test drive some of these.

Still waiting for my 08 to be built. Just got an update today, at event code 3400 with a revised TPW of 8/6. http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i252/zymurgyphotos/Smilies/toetap05.gif

Lord Cadillac
08-01-07, 09:40 PM
Nice review. I'm going to copy this to the reviews forum...

Krug Ford
08-07-07, 09:56 AM
What did you think of the LED lighting?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-07-07, 12:54 PM
Cool, can't wait to see one in person. Do the dealers have the '08 CTS brochures in stock yet? I've gotta pick up one of those for my collection.

The Tony Show
08-07-07, 07:36 PM
No brochures in stock yet (at my place, anyway).

The LED light pipes in the headlights look incredibly cool- very high end, like something you'd see on a concept car. The interior light pipes were neat as well, but the headlight inserts blew me away.