: Green foam spilling from A/C compressor (79 deVille)

bicentennialcadillac
08-01-07, 08:52 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/southfork76/Photo_080107_001.jpg

Any ideas as to what this is about? This only happens when the A/C is engaged.

I assume my compressor's about to buy the farm, but would like a second opinion from you guys.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

ewill3rd
08-01-07, 09:20 PM
Looks like a leak on a system with UV tracer dye in it.
Might start compressor shopping.
The oil and the leak combined with the dye is making what you are seeing.
Probably only a high pressure leak.

bicentennialcadillac
08-01-07, 09:49 PM
Thanks. Should I ride it out until it quits, or is there a chance that it'll seize and throw the belt?

jayoldschool
08-01-07, 09:55 PM
You can drive it, but don't use the AC. This way, the AC clutch will simply freewheel, and you don't have to worry about grenading that compressor. If the compressor goes, it sends nasty stuff through the whole system that is a bitch to flush out. Just get a rebuilt compressor, and get it in to a shop to get the system vaccuumed so you can swap compressor.

bicentennialcadillac
08-01-07, 10:02 PM
Thanks alot fellas.

Mud
08-02-07, 09:13 AM
Four Seasons are not a very good rebuild in case you are looking at one. I have used new/rebuilt units from Arizona Air with very good success, they stand behind their stuff.

Like posted above, the green color is from the oil mixing with the refrigerant. Be very sure that any repair work includes the correct type of oil for your system - one size does not fit all.

Compressor "black death" is a nightmare to mess with, created when a compressor seizes and sends debris through the entire system. Something to avoid.