: Fuel Tank Removal

carlosm1974
08-01-07, 10:57 AM
I am having an issue where my 05 STS stalls in bumper to bumper traffic. Annoying for me but more so for the poor smucks behind me.

this is a Katrina car so I suspect that that is muck in the tank, clogged in tank filter or both.

to that end I have the car up on heavy duty jack stands and will start the removal job this weekend, any advice or things to watch for or proactively do to make it go easier, safer, quicker?

I have not found any reference material which details the job and would appreciate anything which goes beyond the typical two sentence coverage...

thanks in advance
Carlos

dkozloski
08-01-07, 11:53 AM
Go to www.helminc.com and buy yourself a Factory Service Manual.

Lifer
08-01-07, 12:23 PM
There are two fuel tanks, one feeding the other, like a saddle tank. This is no easy job for someone laying on cardboard looking up, while 4,000 pounds of car is poised over their future existance. And, once down, it must go back up. This job sounds tough enough that when I was 18 and did this kind of operation - would have scared me then. :thehand:

LOL!

carlosm1974
08-02-07, 03:17 PM
Go to www.helminc.com (http://www.helminc.com) and buy yourself a Factory Service Manual.

this is my 8th caddy and I've always bought the factory manuals, three volume in this case... the manuals were not much help on this topic, but thanks for your reply

carlosm1974
08-02-07, 03:22 PM
There are two fuel tanks, one feeding the other, like a saddle tank. This is no easy job for someone laying on cardboard looking up, while 4,000 pounds of car is poised over their future existance. And, once down, it must go back up. This job sounds tough enough that when I was 18 and did this kind of operation - would have scared me then. :thehand:

LOL!

yep, been under there already and saw that one side goes up above diff shaft and onto the other side, one unit. I've emptied the tank and am ready to go... I've done this on an older eldorado (fuel gauge in tank) but this one is definitely going to be a bear. Luckily no rush since my 98 Seville keeps on running ....

thk for the reply and I let you know how it turned out.