: You go Wal-Mart!

Spyder
07-31-07, 10:03 PM
Continue on with being that top-of-the-line respected and respectable ultra-high-tier company. Excellent work.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20056614/site/newsweek/

Although Wal-Mart’s worldwide code of ethics expressly forbids any “associate” from working without compensation, the company’s Mexican subsidiary asserts that the grocery baggers “cannot be considered workers.”

Rolex
07-31-07, 10:17 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/abl.jpg

It was very strange to see young children sacking groceries in the supermercado when my wife and I went to Cabo last year. I would guess these kids to be 6ish years old!? But there are lots of things that weren't "right" there. EG: the housekeepers at our hotel are paid $5 for a full days work cleaning rooms. Grounds workers are paid the same for laboring all day in the hot sun. One of the locals told us that high rise construction workers make a nice living at $15-20 a day. :confused: It was humbling to know that the $5 tip I offered someone was likely more than they make for a days wage.

That gave me some understanding why they'd want to defect to another country. I have no comment to throw in the Wal-Mart flaming though. This will obviously contribute to their un-popularity.

I humbly ask you guys to keep this thread clean. :worship:

Spyder
07-31-07, 10:49 PM
Yea, I wasn't going for a hate-thread...just thought it was interesting that they were getting away with it...

illumina
07-31-07, 11:32 PM
Oh dear...

The one thing I don't get is the fact that the kids are volunteering for free by their choice...Kinda says something about them doesn't it? I can't tell you how many teen volunteer activities/services are here in town that don't pay a red cent either...Like the local libraries, schools, and even labor jobs like neighborhood clean-up projects. Damned government ain't payin' up! :D

z06bigbird
08-01-07, 12:36 AM
$5 tip?? Heck, I will take two.

z06bigbird
08-01-07, 12:40 AM
I could be wrong, but I believe the baggers at the US commisaries were unpaid and living on tips. That was at all US bases.

Anybody remember that, or was I dreaming???

dkozloski
08-01-07, 01:01 AM
I could be wrong, but I believe the baggers at the US commisaries were unpaid and living on tips. That was at all US bases.

The last time I was at the comissary at Ft. Wainwright Alaska about two weeks ago there was a big sign saying that the baggers that carry out the stuff work on tips only. It looked to me like they were making about $20-25 an hour. Nobody was complaining. I'll bet the kids in Mexico are fighting over those jobs. If somebody pursues this I'll bet it winds up with the kids starving and the customers carrying out their own groceries.

MediumD
08-01-07, 03:29 AM
keep this thread clean.

Too late, the thread is about walmart. :rolleyes:

Night Wolf
08-01-07, 05:45 AM
I agree.... weather its right or wrong... not my country to say.

But nobody is being forced, the kids are willingly doing it.... I mean, that right there is the freedom to do what you want.... Wal Mart is offering them the abaility to make money, if it wasn't Wal Mart, it'd be any other retail giant.

Waiters/Waitreses here in the states make a living off tips, not the whole $2.50/hr they make. Same thing. Someone that bags your groceries and brings them out to your car is a service that is tipped for.

If cleaning people and grounds keepers are getting $5/day and construction workers are getting $15-20/day... how much would be "fair" to pay a 15 y/o kid bagging groceries? so that they would be considered a salary position.... 50 cents a day? $1/day?

It's a different type of living... hard to think about that living in the USA... but it exsits.

EcSTSatic
08-01-07, 08:18 AM

I did that back in the 60's when I was a kid. Good money at my age. A movie on base was only $0.15, popcorn was $0.10. :pop2:

dkozloski
08-01-07, 12:04 PM
In the local Safeway stores the baggers are prohibited from taking tips by the management.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-01-07, 03:46 PM
Yeah, when I worked at Rainbow Foods as a Cashier/Bagger, we were told not to accept tips. I didn't listen so well to that rule. :)

Jonas McFeely
08-01-07, 03:51 PM
I found a $20 bill in my backseat today.

Night Wolf
08-01-07, 11:09 PM
When I worked at Advance, we weren't supposed to take tips, and I actually would pass alot up, probably $100 total. Some people tho just insisted.... one guy stuffed a $20 bill in my pocket when I took about 5mins to remove a nail and stick a plug in the tire on his $70k Lexus....