: Tried 3 different touch up paints and still no match - HELP

kwaobus
07-31-07, 10:59 PM
I have tried three different touch up paints: Aztec Gold Firemist, West Saddle Firemist and Arizona Beige and still no match. Someone have any clue what this color is? The label is not legible anymore and I am tired of buying useless touch-up paint. Could it be that the paint has faded dramatically?

jayoldschool
07-31-07, 11:05 PM
Go to a modern body shop. They have a computer system that lets them put in the VIN, and the computer knows the code. Then they can mix paint for you. My shop did this when I was doing work on my 92 Roadmaster, and the paint was a dead match in the blend.

kwaobus
08-08-07, 01:35 PM
Any guesses, anybody?

jayoldschool
08-08-07, 01:43 PM
I guess you didn't like my solution?:confused:

Cadillac_Fan
08-08-07, 02:11 PM
Man, follow jayoldschool's suggestion and advice to have a professional bodyshop / dealer identify the match. I would advise against attempting to use a trail-and-error means to touch up your phenomenal and stunning DeVille.

kwaobus
08-08-07, 02:19 PM
your suggestion is the right approach jayoldschool, the problem is that my closest dealer has 'zero' interest in helping me, they are absolutely useless, and the next closest is far away. In the end, the only right way of doing this is to take the drive and find the right paint shop. Was hoping for a 'quick fix'....

jayoldschool
08-08-07, 04:28 PM
Don't waste your time with dealers, and don't waste your time driving around looking for shops. Get out your old-fashioned Yellow Pages, and start calling places. Tell them what you want. You will know right away if they can help.

96Fleetwood
08-08-07, 05:18 PM
www.paintscratch.com (http://www.paintscratch.com)

Whenever I am in doubt, I call them and they match my SPID code with the right blend. I have bought 4 or 5 touch up bottles from them and all match :thumbsup:

z06bigbird
08-08-07, 11:53 PM
I have tried three different touch up paints: Aztec Gold Firemist, West Saddle Firemist and Arizona Beige and still no match. Someone have any clue what this color is? The label is not legible anymore and I am tired of buying useless touch-up paint. Could it be that the paint has faded dramatically?

Nice car, man. Looks like it get great gas mileage as long as it is on lift.

If you cannot identify correct touch up paint, use all three. Then pretend you are driving a 57 Desoto with three tone paint. Classy, man.

I have found that many of the chain body shops will not give you the time of day. Receptionist's job is to protect mgrs and staff from people like you and me. Family owned shops are more helpful, but many are not computerized, but they can tell you where to go!! Seriously, they can advise you where you can get good info.

Cost is a box of donuts to one of those places. Over the years, those donuts will pay off well.

kwaobus
08-09-07, 11:03 AM
www.paintscratch.com (http://www.paintscratch.com)

Whenever I am in doubt, I call them and they match my SPID code with the right blend. I have bought 4 or 5 touch up bottles from them and all match :thumbsup:

Great site, they have two colors that look close that I have not seen on any of the other touch up paint sites. I think I got it now --->Ruidoso Saddle Metallic. Thanks.

Mud
08-09-07, 11:32 AM
What Jay said.

The best way to ensure a match is to take something to an auto paint supply house and get the right match. I can understand what you are saying about the quick fix, but looking at a color over the internet and in real life are 2 different things.

I just did this with the rear/front filler on my 86 FWB. Garage kept, paint is A+, it's the 54 Chamois color. You would think that the color code would match. It was close, but not close enough, needed to have it tweaked a bit so the parts would not look like an add-on. More expensive as well - if you use PPG, most stores will not color match Omni or Omni-Plus, only DBU and up on the product lines.

My Crown Vic was a different story - Omni Plus paint matched the color code with no tweaking.

In the long run having a professional result is worth the cost/trouble to me to ensure a good color match. I hope that you come out OK, please post results.