: How much r-12?

My_favorite_Brougham
07-31-07, 05:53 PM
How big is the A/C system in a 1990 Brougham? Is it in the neighborhood of 50 ounces? Well I wonder because my Brougham is cooling me at only a "cool" level and not "cold" or "frigid" like I would prefer, especially here in Texas. Ya think one 12oz can of r-12 will bring it up enough or should I have bought two?

jayoldschool
07-31-07, 06:11 PM
You really need to get a set of gauges on it to make sure you get the right amount in there. Too much is bad, too.

Cadillac Giovanni
07-31-07, 06:17 PM
where did you manage to find r-12? The stuff fell off the face of the earth up here in New England.

I think the AC system holds around 3 pounds. I may be wrong, but i recall hearing that. You'd be best to get a professional with gauges to do it, unless you can get the know-how and gauges yourself.

My_favorite_Brougham
07-31-07, 11:49 PM
eBay has plenty of it. As for gauges, I'll treat it like a 134a recharge. Just put enough in until max cooling; then stop.

z06bigbird
08-01-07, 12:28 AM
Older large cars used 4 to 5 lbs.

??? with yours???

Mud
08-01-07, 11:42 AM
www.autoacforum.com is a good resource for info as well. They have the temp/pressure charts that can be used for both r143a and r-12 applications.

I would urge the use of gauges to first evaluate the system pressures before just adding a can of refrigerant. There's a number of other factors like condensor air flow, cycling switches, orifice valves, etc. that can also lead to poor cooling. Like Jay said, adding more refrigerant than is needed can cause bigger problems. You sure don't want the compressor to try to compress a big slug of liquid refrigerant.