: Should I be upset? MS gave me a refurbished unit...

railven
07-31-07, 04:53 PM
I finally got my 360 back yesterday from Texas and the first thing I did was check for notches I made in the cases corner. I started doing this with computers when I took them for family to be serviced at Best Buy/Circuit City.

Anyways, the notches weren't there. I called the support number that came with my "receipt."

If you send in a unit for repair and they for whatever reason can't repair it you will be given a refurbished unit.

I was a bit upset but said fine. But it bugged me. It reminded me of Circuit City giving my aunt a refurbished PC everytime she had a hiccup with her PC. I had to complain to them about a new unit since her's wasn't fixed nor were the refurbished units. In the end she got store credit for the initial value of her PC.

Oh well, if this unit breaks I'm going to demand a new one.

CIWS
07-31-07, 05:22 PM
Your warranty probably says they have the right to give you a refurbished one if yours cannot be repaired. Pretty common, I'm sure you already know this. :)
You could tell them to take the 360 and go jump in the river if they didn't provide you a new one, but I'm sure they really don't care seeing how they are having no problems selling 360s, and it's Microsoft.

slk230mb
07-31-07, 05:23 PM
That's been MS's policy with 360s for a while, maybe even from launch. I have 2 friends that sent their 360s back within one month, their replacements have lasted over 18...

Rolex
07-31-07, 05:25 PM
I can see how you'd be irritated, but at the same time the unit you returned wasn't brand new. When I hit a deer in my Escalade they replaced one of the headlamp assemblies with a used one. At first glance it pissed me off, but when I thought it over it didn't really bother me. As long as it works without malfunction = no big deal to me. my .02 :D

dkozloski
07-31-07, 05:41 PM
The alternative would be for them to send you a new unit and charge you pro rata for the use you got from the first one.

Blackout
07-31-07, 07:11 PM
Sorry to put fuel on the fire but my buddy just got his back and it was a brand new one

railven
07-31-07, 07:47 PM
I guess a refurbished system is what I'm owned, probably as some stated its likely in the policy. But I'd expect a WORKING unit.

This is no longer funny. My cousin and another friend now have two dead units. One is a red ring (cousin's) and the other is a failed drive. What the hell is wrong with MS? You can't patch hardware. I can understand my comp failing to boot due to a driver conflict but a console you buy to just up and quit and at that randomly! And my unit's ethernet port isn't working.

I've used a port tester and its dead. I should have tested the whole damn thing yesterday while I had the rep on the phone. I wonder what they will say caused this? As the rep claimed my surge protector fried my original Elite.

I'm glad I barely use the damn thing or I'd be even more pissed. I'm going to ask for a refund, screw this shit.

I'll wait for a month or two after the die shrink and by then hopefully MS got things working on the inside.

nikon
07-31-07, 09:02 PM
Funny, I've never had any problems with mine...got it maybe 8-9mo ago..and it's been great...IT is on ALL the time since I use it as a media center extender....whats failing on the xbox's anyways??

Spyder
07-31-07, 10:53 PM
Sure do like my old REAL nintendo!

JimmyH
08-01-07, 11:20 AM
It's Microsoft. That's how it is. Which is why everyone hates them. If it's any consolation, you can't really blame them. They don't really create anything (besides Windows) anymore. They just buy up companies and integrate their technologies. So they probably inherited all the bugs in the 360.

Playdrv4me
08-01-07, 12:28 PM
Common problems with the 360. I know that and I dont even play games.

As far as it being refurbished, most of the replacements are. Thats not just the case in 360's but most high end electronics and mechanical items sent in for warranty repairs. When the rear end started whining on my 2001 330i, BMW replaced it with a "reman final drive" assembly, which is clearly stated on the receipt.

dwight.j.carter
08-01-07, 01:21 PM
You should have bought the warranty from Microsoft instead and anyway the units come with a 3 year warranty from microsoft so you shouldn't need to buy an extra warranty from circuit city or best buy.

DopeStar 156
08-01-07, 01:23 PM
I sent my PS2 in to be fixed back in 2005 for the all so common Disc Read Error problem with the launch PS2's and got my very same one back and they didn't charge me anything to fix it. I wrote down the serial number and marked the bottom too. Now my PS2 runs perfectly even though it's now officially retired......

At this point I'd just give them a nasty call and demand a new one.....

dwight.j.carter
08-01-07, 01:31 PM
The 360 will overheat every time if you put in an enclosed area it has to be in the open.
I have two of them and have had no problem.

Blackout
08-01-07, 02:04 PM
Mine is acting up but it's not because of over heating or the red ring of death. i'm guessing it's the DVD-ROM because it loads stuff slowly and then I'll play a game (for example the bigs) and once I finish the game and it has to load up the next screen it just locks up. When you send your 360 in do you need to give them the serial number or anything? Because if not I'll call them at some point today and have them send me the stuff so I can ship it out to them

Playdrv4me
08-01-07, 02:20 PM
The 360 will overheat every time if you put in an enclosed area it has to be in the open.
I have two of them and have had no problem.

Aren't they also REALLY loud?

railven
08-01-07, 03:02 PM
I spent most of my break today on the phone with a second Rep after yesterday's ordeal.

They are telling me my unit worked fine when they shipped it, that it passed all their tests. I'm explaining that I can't get a hook up with my network. They go into trouble shooting my network and then tell me its my network's fault.

I say fine, I've had no problems with any part of my network but hook the 360 directly up to the modem. The modem LINK light never Blinks. They give me some more crap about it being something on my end.

So today I get someone a bit more understand. I give them my reference number and we pick up where we left off. I jumped through hoops last night ruling out my network.

So today they agreed to take a look at it. MOFOS! They wouldn't even consider a refund or giving me a new unit. All units go through their testing facilities, any quarks are ironed out, and if they can't be you get a unit sitting in storage for god knows how long.

I'm mailing it out today after work, guess I have to wait another four to six weeks for the stupid thing.

And Blackout, yeah both times I spoke with the rep they asked for the serial number. My friend's who drive is broken said the reason he returned it to Wal-Mart was because MS said they wouldn't replace the drive for free, he'd have to pay for that.

Sony sucks with their game releases, MS's unit is breaking on me, I've realized that the Wii is out of my age-range...man this generation of console wars is really bad.

Playdrv4me
08-01-07, 03:31 PM
The thing I realized back in the 90's, which I feel no different about today... is that if I am going to waste my time playing a video game, it's going to be on a portable unit. Be it a PSP, a Nintendo DS or something even more rudimentary than that. Those types of games are the most enjoyable for me. I enjoy the old skool Game Boy and even the old 1980's LCD Nintendo GameN'Watch as much as any PSP or PS3 game today. It just depends on how bored I am.

Only other thing that gets my attention are activity games like Dance Dance Revolution etc. In that case the Wii is actually pretty cool as well.

JimmyH
08-01-07, 03:44 PM
The thing I realized back in the 90's, which I feel no different about today... is that if I am going to waste my time playing a video game, it's going to be on a portable unit. Be it a PSP, a Nintendo DS or something even more rudimentary than that. Those types of games are the most enjoyable for me. I enjoy the old skool Game Boy and even the old 1980's LCD Nintendo GameN'Watch as much as any PSP or PS3 game today. It just depends on how bored I am.

Only other thing that gets my attention are activity games like Dance Dance Revolution etc. In that case the Wii is actually pretty cool as well.

my moments of boredom are cured by tetris on my smartphone

Blackout
08-01-07, 03:51 PM
And Blackout, yeah both times I spoke with the rep they asked for the serial number. My friend's who drive is broken said the reason he returned it to Wal-Mart was because MS said they wouldn't replace the drive for free, he'd have to pay for that.So he had the same problem with his 360 as well and they wouldn't cover it? Well if thats the case I guess its time to go out and find a new drive

Spyder
08-01-07, 05:37 PM
my moments of boredom are cured by tetris on my smartphone

I play Chess on my Nokia 2355.

dwight.j.carter
08-01-07, 07:52 PM
Railven for the amount of money you have spent on the machine would it fall under your states lemon law ?

dwight.j.carter
08-01-07, 07:53 PM
You said the machine is an elite right ?
Was it a first run Elite console ?

railven
08-01-07, 08:16 PM
@Blackout

Yeah his symptoms were: First it didn't read the DVD/Game. Ejecting and putting it back in fixed the problem. Then it started to load slowly and not read the DVD/Game again. Then eventually he said it stopped doing anything and just kept giving him a NO CD READ ERROR. Or something like that. He called MS because Wal-Mart didn't have anymore Elites for exchange but MS said that it would cost, I believe, 30 dollars for a replacement unit and then labor. I'm not a 100% sure since he said F-it and just took it back to Walmart. He's 360-less now.

@Dwight

Yeah it was a first shipment Elite. Since I didn't get mine through normal means, ala buying it at the counter, I couldn't get any in-store benefits. My cousin had a friend buy it and then I paid the full price for it (he got it for 20% less that bastard).

System is in the box on its way back to Texas. At least my Premium still works, haha.

dwight.j.carter
08-02-07, 05:31 PM
yeah I have a premium as well but the trick is to not buy the first run machines as they are problematic.
I just hope my elite that I just bought a week ago is a good one but it is in the open so I shouldn't have any heat issues.

railven
08-02-07, 08:50 PM
yeah I have a premium as well but the trick is to not buy the first run machines as they are problematic.
I just hope my elite that I just bought a week ago is a good one but it is in the open so I shouldn't have any heat issues.

I sort of have to disagree with that.

I have a first run PSP, DS, PSone, PS3, Wii, errr just about first run of most consoles minues 360 Premium/Core. None of my first run systems EVER died before a year. The only ones that actually died were the PS/PS2 as the lasers died and I didn't want to fix them but even still that was after at least 3 years on each one. I have them in boxes now. Anyways, the Elite didn't get enough play time to warrant its premature death. I played the thing mostly once or twice a week, a Gears of War session with a few friends, and surf the Marketplace. Aside that it wasn't in a confined box, or being mistreated. Hell my cousin's Premium wasn't first run and it still died. There is no excuse for a poor product and MS's refusal to explain it and their failure rate is enough to cause alarm. I appreciate them extending their warranty to three years but frankly that was just a measure to prevent a lawsuit. But they are already being sued for their units scratchign discs. Sony had a similar lawsuit for the PS2 and it had to pay. I believe MS will end up paying too.

dkozloski
08-02-07, 11:08 PM
The only game machine me and my friends ever had was an S&W revolver that we used for Russian roulette.

DopeStar 156
08-03-07, 03:09 PM
My original PlayStation ran great for 11 years, the disc motor died a year ago and I'm in the process of repairing it.....

Playdrv4me
08-03-07, 04:18 PM

I have to disagree too but not from a reliability standpoint. First runs of most game machines (most electronics period) are the most hackable, making them very soughtafter. PSP is a perfect example of that. As is the very earliest Sony DVP-S7000 high end DVD player... in fact, it literally had a DIP switch right in the case to turn region coding OFF completely. Hilarious.

railven
08-04-07, 12:48 PM
I have to disagree too but not from a reliability standpoint. First runs of most game machines (most electronics period) are the most hackable, making them very soughtafter. PSP is a perfect example of that. As is the very earliest Sony DVP-S7000 high end DVD player... in fact, it literally had a DIP switch right in the case to turn region coding OFF completely. Hilarious.

So true. I was one of the lucky 500,000 who's first run PS2 didn't come with Macrovision. WOOT! I should have taped those DVDs to CD and sold em for money!

Adam
08-05-07, 05:55 AM
I never had a problem with my Playstation. Nor my PS2. I didn't have the PS3 long enough. The lack of games really pissed me off so I sold it on ebay and paid a credit card off. My brother had to have his first XBox sent off and it was fixed under warranty. I just got the Premium XBox 360 and so far so good. It is out in the open but it really isn't that loud... I mean, you can tell when it is on but it isn't annoying. I think I seen a clip on with extra fans to help keep the system cooler. I may get one of those just to make sure. A couple friends have already been through atleast 2 360s. As "great" as they are supposed to be, they just aren't living up to the hype.