: What is the black box behind the rear view mirror?

jhelms
07-31-07, 02:03 PM
What is the black box behind the rear view mirror? There is a box directly behind the mirror in between in and the windshield and then there is a small circular item to the right (on star?).

Just curious, it's kind of a large-ish plastic box to be behind the windshield.

This is in a 2006 STS 1SF V8

MARKVIII
07-31-07, 02:28 PM
its where u keep your stash.

jhelms
07-31-07, 02:36 PM
its where u keep your stash.

Dangit, I thought that was the little cubby in the glove box! :)

dkozloski
07-31-07, 02:38 PM
Rainsense Wipers?

jhelms
07-31-07, 02:51 PM
Rainsense Wipers?

We do have that feature so I guess that's right. Looks kind of clunky and the dealer didn't know what it was. I guess the cirlce thing is OnStar and the plastic clear-ish nipple in the middle of the dash towards the base of the windshield is the ambient light sensor for the headlights?

jgrade
07-31-07, 02:57 PM
Rainsense? How about SUNsense or BIGBUMPsense or DIRTsense. I swear, this thing fires for the goofiest things. Although they work the best I have seen, even on other GM vehicles.

Curious George
07-31-07, 03:09 PM
There are up to three features attached to the mirror depending on how the car is equipped: Rainsense water-on-windshield sensor, Intellibeam taillight/headlight sensor, and Adaptive Cruise Control radar sensor. I believe that the OnStar antenna is in the rear glass along with AM and FM radio antennas. The vestigial stalk on the roof above the rear glass is the XM antenna.

Cajonkev
07-31-07, 05:43 PM
Clarification:

The box mounted directly behind the rear-view mirror is the CMOS camera. It supports the Intellibeam and Intellisense features. For 2008 it has been integrated with lane-departure as well I believe.

The radar tranceiver for ACC is mounted in the front grill and not behind the mirror.

Curious George
07-31-07, 06:37 PM
Clarification: ...The radar tranceiver for ACC is mounted in the front grill and not behind the mirror.

Is that a transceiver? I thought it is the radar transmitter, and that the receiver is up by the rear view mirror.

Cajonkev
08-01-07, 02:32 AM
It is a transceiver. There are no ACC components behind the mirror.

ewill3rd
08-01-07, 05:41 AM
If the device is mounted on the mirror it is the intellibeam sensor, if it is mounted on the glass it is the rain sense module.
The intellibeam is part of the mirror and has a small window in the front that faces forward, the rainsense module has to be in physical contact with the glass and is attached just to the right of the mirror.

The ACC module and radar device is behind the grill... it does indeed transmit and receive its own signals.

The AM/FM antennas are part of the front and rear windows on most cars. I am sure it is the same on STS, although I haven't really paid attention. These use an antenna signal amplifier that is mounted under the headliner near the back window (usually).
They are made up of gridlines baked onto each glass with a wire button attached at the top edge.
The roof mounted antenna contains Navigation, cellular and XM antennas all in one unit (if so equipped).

The transmitter for big brother is hidden in a secret location that I cannot reveal.... :histeric:
Sorry, I just had to toss that in. ;)

HTH

z06bigbird
08-01-07, 10:37 AM
Deoderizer for when A/C system fails.

Curious George
08-01-07, 01:16 PM
cajonkev and ewill3rd: Thanks for the correction and information.

ewill3rd
08-01-07, 01:20 PM
You are quite welcome.

Cajonkev
08-01-07, 01:28 PM
That's what makes a community forum great.

Especially with Techs Like ewill3rd here!