: Response to "Enter number"

jgrade
07-31-07, 10:30 AM
Anyone know the correct response to the final question after using VR to enter a phone number? I assume the correct response is "yes" but I have yet to get the VR to recognize the response.

"Phone, enter number"
number please
"555-555-5555"
555-555-5555, continue?
"yes"
command canceled

(or something like this.)

It always fails at the continue. I have tried yes, no, continue, dial, with no action except for pardon or command canceled. Dial name works about 98% of the time, but limited to 10 numbers in the phone book.

Bee iLL
07-31-07, 02:47 PM
I have never used voice to dial numbers for me, but Have you tried saying "help" at that point to see if it lists available commands? Also try starting off by saying "phone help" and look through the commands it lists. I will give this a shot when I get home and see what I can come up with.

jhelms
07-31-07, 03:20 PM
I have the same question - have tried 'dial' also and can't get it to work... do you just reach over at that point and hit the green phone icon?

jgrade
07-31-07, 03:30 PM
I have looked in help, but only the "top" commands are available.

I don't use the green button because I am always in source CD so I can pause the song when I get an incoming call. I have found a pretty crappy work around for the failure of the BT to mute the radio. When a call comes in you can answer the call and then press pause on the CD screen ONLY if you were there to begin with and only within a few seconds. I think since the screen switches back from the incoming call screen, you get a few seconds before it locks. Otherwise, in any other screen, if the call did not mute the radio then you have no options but to end the call and call the person back.

On topic, I think the programmers never gave the enter number a response, so the software always defaults to the "error" pardon. I understand that the phrase yes and no are short and may be difficult to program for, but they are basic and used for almost every command that needs a response so FIX IT! (falls on deaf ears)

Buzz48317
07-31-07, 05:45 PM
After the car repeats the number to you the command to dial is "dial"

This should work. I know that the whole 'continue' this is a little goofy, should probably either accept yes as a response or they should change the script to say something like 'say dial to continue'

jhelms
07-31-07, 05:52 PM
After the car repeats the number to you the command to dial is "dial"

This should work. I know that the whole 'continue' this is a little goofy, should probably either accept yes as a response or they should change the script to say something like 'say dial to continue'

Is that for BT r just onstar?

Also - jgrade I thought an incoming BT call auto-mutes the radio or the cd? It has so far for me (only had the car 4 days). The dealer also told me that the mute button on the steering wheels (top part of the heated steering wheel button) will mute the stereo for an OS or BT phone call, but haven't fully tried that both ways to make sure.

ewill3rd
07-31-07, 08:44 PM
Are you using the bluetooth thing or OnStar?

OnStar requires another "dial" command after rattling off the phone number.
If it is the bluetooth VR I'd have to do some looking for some more information or get my hands on one.

jgrade
08-01-07, 10:40 AM
It for BT not On-Star. I will try the "dial" command.

As for the muting, it did work on my 06 until I got a software update about a year ago. Since then it does not auto mute. The mute button on the steering wheel is locked out since the radio hands over the volume control to the BT. Very annoying that the VR volume can be loud, but the BT volume be so low that you can't hear the caller.

My children have voice activated toys that work better then this. Maybe GM/Denso should hire some Vtech technicians.

jgrade
08-01-07, 10:55 AM
Thank you Buzz48317, dial is the correct command. Just tried it! Wow, talk about dumb. I would never had thought of "dial" as a response to continue? The nerd that programmed that ridiculous response need to get a girlfriend to test this with. She would have smacked him over the head after getting frustrated. Although the VR has a hard enough time recognizing "yes".

jhelms
08-01-07, 01:30 PM
Slightly of topic, but my wife and I will sometimes have a good laugh by trying to see who can do the best 'mumbled' number that is actually recognized by VR.

It's probably just my goofy nature, but we find it hilarious. Mainly if you enunciate the first syllable very clearly you can slur the rest of the word pretty much and it will pick it up.

Number please

Ssssehhhhh

Seven

Uh

Zero

Sack!

Six

Aaaachoooo

Eight

..... you get the idea. Definitely not as funny seeing it written out, oh well :)

thefred
08-01-07, 01:55 PM
Anyone know the correct response to the final question after using VR to enter a phone number? I assume the correct response is "yes" but I have yet to get the VR to recognize the response.

"Phone, enter number"
number please
"555-555-5555"
555-555-5555, continue?
"yes"
command canceled

(or something like this.)

It always fails at the continue. I have tried yes, no, continue, dial, with no action except for pardon or command canceled. Dial name works about 98% of the time, but limited to 10 numbers in the phone book.

OK, I didn't RTFM, so what's the quick and dirty to get it to VR dial? I tried pressing the button on the steering wheel and saying numbers and things, but it (and I) had no idea what I was doing.

Buzz48317
08-01-07, 04:55 PM
OK, I didn't RTFM, so what's the quick and dirty to get it to VR dial? I tried pressing the button on the steering wheel and saying numbers and things, but it (and I) had no idea what I was doing.

Ok there is protocol. Here goes. Push button wait for beep say, "telephone enter" wait for car to say number please say what ever the number is "8675309" (if you are calling Jenny) the car will repeate the number then say continue to which you respond "dial"

Thats it call placed...now you just have to deal with crappy echoey sound on the other end. :(

thefred
08-01-07, 09:10 PM
Ok there is protocol. Here goes. Push button wait for beep say, "telephone enter" wait for car to say number please say what ever the number is "8675309" (if you are calling Jenny) the car will repeate the number then say continue to which you respond "dial"

Thats it call placed...now you just have to deal with crappy echoey sound on the other end. :(

Thanks I just tried it in my garage. First, without my phone which it had no problem reminding me. And then once I got my phone, it seemed to have trouble distinguishing 5s from 9s. I'll work on it. Can you speak at a normal pace or do you have to say it slow?

thefred
08-02-07, 10:30 PM
Well, I have tried it a few more times and it doesn't recognize numbers very well at all. There are more wrong numbers than right. I have no accent so that can't be it. And I tried leaning all the way into the mic. Anyone have any similare issues or resolution? And, yes, I have the software update.

jgrade
08-03-07, 10:07 AM
Yes. If the AC is on, I can pretty much forget about the VR understanding me. I think it is the position of the mic in relation to the vent.

dkozloski
08-03-07, 05:47 PM
I usd to get all kinds of weird responses to the VR system until I realized that it was responding to a squawking computerized toy my boy had in the back seat that I had tuned out. After I got that shut off, regained my temper, stopped shouting, and talked calmly in a normal tone of voice things got a lot better.

ssstealth
08-07-07, 10:26 PM
When I looked in the FSM, there is actually a section on how to talk to the car. I won't (can't) retype the entire section but the high points for phone dialing are:
"Call" - Emphasize the 'l' at the end of the word
"Dial" - Emphasize the 'l' at the end of the word
"Zero", "Oh" - If the system does not understand 'oh', try 'zero', or vice versa
"One" - Emphasize the 'n' at the end of the word
"Two" - Round your lips for the 'oo' part of the word. If you are clipping the 'ooo' very short, try to lengthen it, but do not draw it out excessively. Speak in a low pitch. Do not use a rising tone liike asking a question; a falling tone like answering a question is better
"Three" - End the word 'three' in a smile, to draw back your lips. Lengthen the 'eee' sound if you are clipping it very short.
"Four" - Emphasize the 'r' at the end of the word
"Five" - Emphasize the 'v' sound
"Six" - Emphasize the 'ks' sound at the end of the word
"Seven" - Emphasize the 'n' at the end of the word. Lengthen the 'sev' syllable.
"Eight" - Emphasize the 't' at the end of the word. Lengthen the 'eee' sound at the start of the word.
"Nine" - Emphasize the 'n' sounds to distinguish from 'five'.

The complete list of speaking tips can be found on page 11-50 of the factory service manual, Volume 3. Also remember that the microphone is in the rear view mirror. I always have better luck when I talk to the mirror instead of the steering wheel. Just don't let anybody spot you with your nose up in the air.