: Auto Dimming Mirror Broken?

DopeStar 156
07-31-07, 02:02 AM
As of a few days ago my auto-dimming mirror no longer dims. The green LED comes on but the mirror no longer moves. I've noticed that sometimes on occasion it would get stuck but it usually fixed itself. Now it no longer does so. Is the thing broken completely or is there a way I can fix it? I have two and both don't work properly so I'm not afraid to crack one open. The second one the green LED is dim and doesn't move. Thanks.

DopeStar 156
07-31-07, 02:34 AM
Ok, well I've answered my own question, but I'll post my solution here since I'm sure I'm not the only one. Turns out the secret to these things working well in their old age is balance. I sat there and wrestled with its two pivot point and got it to perfectly face out my back window and remain pretty level. If you can get the mirror pretty evenly level (not tilting too far forward or back) it'll flip back and forth pretty easily with little to no strain.

Cadillac_Fan
07-31-07, 08:56 AM
Great to know you were able to get it back in working order. I was curious - when you removed the mirror, was there a special wiring harness for it, or does it tap-in to the map light/sun visor retainer?

(I was thinking of installing one on the '88, as I've seen them occasionally pop up on eBay for a relatively good price.)

DopeStar 156
07-31-07, 12:45 PM
That I don't know, I just know the wire comes out the headliner and plugs in the back of the mirror.......

jayoldschool
07-31-07, 04:12 PM
Do you think it is worth it to add one of these to my 81 coupe? I can get one from the local yard.