: Replacing stock NAV system with aftermarket system

djvirus
07-30-07, 12:14 AM
Howdy:

I am the proud new owner of a 04 Cadillac SRX. I love everything EXCEPT the OEM NAV system. I have a Kenwood DNX7100 in one of my other vehicles, and I would like to put on in my SRX as well.

Has anyone replaced the OEM unit with an aftermarket one? If so, where did you find the dash mounting kit for the new unit? I have found a kit for a non-NAV w/Bose system, but not for the NAV dash. Are the climate controls under the NAV system the same as the non-NAV cars?

A rep that I talked to at Crutchfield said that the dashes with the NAV in them have a slightly different curve than the dashes without the NAV.

Any help/advice/links would be appreciated!

Thanks.

terryk
07-30-07, 05:07 PM
The HVAC stuff is the same. You will lose the DIC information the factory NAV unit currently displays. You can maintain the chimes. After that, Onstar and XM will depend on what you new head unit supports.

Let me know if you decide to do this. I want to install OEM Nav!

djvirus
07-31-07, 12:26 AM
The DIC?

My main concern is are the dimensions of the NAV unit and the stock radio unit the same? (same curve on the front, etc) From photos, they look pretty similar.

As for wanting add OEM, I will have one for sale soon :)

FarEast
07-31-07, 11:31 AM
If I would be doing this I'd double check that steering wheel buttons are going to work with the new unit correctly. Definitely wouldn't wanna lose those.

terryk
07-31-07, 06:33 PM
Driver Information Center. You won't have any of your mileage, range, outside temp, oil/trans fluid life information with an after market headunit.

IN the CTS forum there is a document on how to gut a non-Nav head unit to keep the DIC display and install an after market head unit.

Terry

djvirus
08-01-07, 12:19 AM
If I would be doing this I'd double check that steering wheel buttons are going to work with the new unit correctly. Definitely wouldn't wanna lose those.

PAC makes a unit that will keep the steering wheel controls (used on in my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and it works like a charm). They also make a module that lets me keep the OnStar integration as well as the door chimes.

djvirus
08-01-07, 09:49 PM
Does anyone know if the non-NAV and the NAV unit dimensions are the same?

faderrific
08-01-07, 10:52 PM
I would head to your nearest Cadillac dealer and check out the non-nav. You should be able to tell by seeing it in person.

djvirus
08-02-07, 01:27 PM
Nearest dealer is over 2 hours away.

So, can someone with a 04-06 with nav and some with the same years without nav please do a rough measure of the dimensions of the entire head unit and post?

Thanks.