: Factory Astroroof from 89 Brougham to 81 FWB coupe?, Taking it out, and install...

jayoldschool
07-29-07, 10:30 AM
I thought I would start a new thread since I can't edit the title of the other one. This should make it easier to search if someone is considering this swap.

After considering a 44" Lincoln, I am going to keep my 81 all OE Cadillac.

Going to grab a factory Astro (moon) roof out of an 89 Brougham on Monday. I am getting everything - glass, frame, drains, headliner, switch, etc.

Here are some questions:
The factory Astro roofs look like they have a chrome trim ring - is that correct? Tough to tell on the one in the yard - the outside is all siliconed. I would guess the drains aren't working!

Do I just swap that trim ring into the hole that I make in my 81, or do I have to weld in the roof section from the donor car?

Will it fit ok in a roof that doesn't have vinyl?

Will the four door headliner work in my coupe (it is a different shape to allow the glass to slide back under the roof above the headliner)? I do need to recover it - my int is blue, and this one is maroon.

Any info/advice/experience appreciated!

Here is the car:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/Cadroof.jpg

Here is a better view of a factory Astro roof:

http://www.mcsmk8.com/80CAD-500/MVC-674X.JPG

And, here's my coupe that it is going to go in:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/Carpics004.jpg

jayoldschool
07-30-07, 12:49 PM
Here I go talking to myself again...:crybaby:

Just got off the phone with another yard on the other side of town. They have a Fleetwood Brougham with a factory Astroroof. Best part is that it is the correct interior colour for my coupe. I mentioned what the other yard's price was, and he told me to bring my tools, cash, and they would beat it. In addition to taking all the interior parts I need, he said I can cut out the roof section, too.

I'll go get it next week.

Jason.

Night Wolf
07-30-07, 05:10 PM
eeek..... personally thats something I'd leave to a pro shop....

But, if it all works out, then awesome :)

If in fact the car has the same color interior as yours, grab all the little odds and ends you can find!

jayoldschool
07-30-07, 07:36 PM
Yes, I will stock up for sure. On the phone the guy told me, "old cars like that aren't even in our computer. Just bring some cash and you can take what you want."

I don't think this will be a tough install. After putting the T56 six speed in my Impala SS, everything else seems easy. After all, it's just a big hole in my roof, right?:thumbsup:

CaddyshackCadillac
07-30-07, 07:41 PM
lol get a chain saw and some silly putty and your good to go

jayoldschool
07-30-07, 08:52 PM
lol get a chain saw and some silly putty and your good to go

Ummm, you're not invited over for the install.:tisk:

lol

CaddyshackCadillac
07-30-07, 08:55 PM
haha ,damn i can be the beer guy ........

Night Wolf
07-31-07, 10:30 AM
Yes, I will stock up for sure. On the phone the guy told me, "old cars like that aren't even in our computer. Just bring some cash and you can take what you want."

I don't think this will be a tough install. After putting the T56 six speed in my Impala SS, everything else seems easy. After all, it's just a big hole in my roof, right?:thumbsup:

oh... well.... fine then :)

You are what I want to be in some years from now.... people that just see something done some way, and make it happen are just awesome... same with the guys on the Isuzu site who hack up their indepent front suspension truck like nothing and just start welding things up, and next thing ya know its a solid axle monster truck....

very cool :)

jayoldschool
07-31-07, 11:10 AM
Don't worry, I'll take lots of pics of it coming out, and what it takes to put it back in. The only tricky part will be dealing with the opening in the coupe. It needs to have a flange for the glass to seal against. This means that I either have to hammer and dolly the lip down, or I cut out the donor roof and weld the flange in. I think I will do the latter. Simple to weld it in, grind the weld down, and refinish the roof (I'm lucky that car is white!). Should be able to do it without any filler.