: Another shattered Ultraview

lendad
07-28-07, 07:49 PM
Today my ultraview (2006, V6) shattered at 65 mph, 78 degrees outside temp, no traffic, no foreign objects, just BAM, like a 12 gauge shotgun blast at 10 feet.

Luckily the roof AND sunshade were closed, otherwise I'd be nursing dozens of small cuts.

So now I must face GM, who will deny responsibility; or, lie to my insurance co. and say a rock hit it.

Regardless, I doubt if I will ever feel secure in opening either the roof or the shade again (so why have the Ulraview?).

Any advice on how to proceed?

I mean, damn, this could have serious safety ramifications. I consider myself lucky.

I am amazed at how lightly this subject has been received by some forum members. Wait until you're a victim.

Also, I remember reading of this problem in 2005, just before i purchased my SRX. The problem is not new, and not trivial.

Pics attached.

AJxtcman
07-28-07, 09:23 PM
Today my ultraview (2006, V6) shattered at 65 mph, 78 degrees outside temp, no traffic, no foreign objects, just BAM, like a 12 gauge shotgun blast at 10 feet.

Luckily the roof AND sunshade were closed, otherwise I'd be nursing dozens of small cuts.

So now I must face GM, who will deny responsibility; or, lie to my insurance co. and say a rock hit it.

Regardless, I doubt if I will ever feel secure in opening either the roof or the shade again (so why have the Ulraview?).

Any advice on how to proceed?

I mean, damn, this could have serious safety ramifications. I consider myself lucky.

I am amazed at how lightly this subject has been received by some forum members. Wait until you're a victim.

Also, I remember reading of this problem in 2005, just before i purchased my SRX. The problem is not new, and not trivial.

Pics attached.

DO NOT MOVE YOUR CAR. see other post.

GM Message #
CAS20060094 5/22/2006
CAS20060083 1/6/2006
CAS20050077 11/18/2005

I may be going to far on this issue. This may be to much info to post, but you need to listen to me

We are asking for your support with an engineering analysis of sunroof glass fractures on certain SRX vehicles. Engineers would like to inspect any 2004-2006 Cadillac SRX in which the Ultraview Sunroof has shattered resulting in glass fragments falling into the interior compartment of the vehicle. Of course, this inspection must take place before any work is performed on the vehicle.

If you receive a 2004-2006 Cadillac SRX equipped with an Ultraview Sunroof in your service department and the glass has shattered for no apparent reason, please contact one of the engineers listed below. They have committed to provide instructions relative to vehicle disposition within 24 hours. Dealers should not attempt to clean the glass fragments out of the vehicle until they receive disposition on the vehicle.

lendad
07-28-07, 10:52 PM
Unfortunately, my anal self spent 2 hours vacuuming glass pieces with 2 hours of the accident today (Sat. 7/28). I still have all the glass frgments (garbage can) , but the only glass still intact is that which is glued to the transverse and longitundinal metal frame pieces.

I'll still contact Dondelinger Chev/Cadillac (Baxter, MN) :rant2:Mon. morning.

Wind Breaker
07-30-07, 09:37 AM
Whoa! So glad we got rid of our SRX a few months ago, damn thing was such a lemon. Good luck to you.

AJxtcman
08-01-07, 10:10 PM
Whoa! So glad we got rid of our SRX a few months ago, damn thing was such a lemon. Good luck to you.

It was not a lemon!!!!!!
It is an SRX:yup:

Wind Breaker
08-03-07, 08:56 AM
Our SRX = Lemon. Bottom line - it was a POS car.
Heck, I had a '86 Toyota Landcruiser with over 220K miles for eight years with fewer rattles, squeaks with zero problems than the SRX accumulated in less than a year of ownership. Our new lowly Camry Hybrid at 25% less cost of the SRX is of way better quality than the SRX. Got the hybrid for selfish reasons - not to be 'green'.
In viewing the forums of Toyota vs. Cadillac, in the Cadillac forums nearly every thread is a problem or issue about this or that. In the Toyota forum, most threads are not associated with a problem. No wonder the American auto mfg.'s are going under.
Although the Toyota's are primarily built in the US, it's the engineering and design that seems to make the difference.
I'm done ranting - hope you all have much better luck with your SRX's than I. It is a beautiful car, just didn't work out for me.