: Bass Lacking!!

nguyendot
07-28-07, 12:32 PM
It may just be me, but the bass in my 06 STS is very lacking. My last car was an Infiniti I30 and it had a factory Bose rear deck subwoofer that put out much more bass than this car, yet I have no idea why. I can turn the bass all the way up and while the sound is very clear, there is absolutely no kick to it. My dads I35 has more bass in its stock system, as does my moms 05 Grand Prix GT with Monsoon. For such an expensive option radio I would figure it would give out amazing bass considering it is DD/DTS as well. Is there an easy way to add a sub to the stock system? My Infiniti had a line-out adapter that plugged into the auxilary jack in the back of the head unit (not high-level, those suck) and gave a clean signal to add an auxilary subwoofer. I don't want to go crazy like the 2 Alpine Type R with MB Quart 1000wrms amp (still in my garage if anyone wants to make a bid..), but I would like something sealed 10" or so 100wrms - 200wrms for CLEAN bass. I don't want to just start tearing stuff apart but the lack of bass in such an expensive car is ridiculous.

Thanks for your help in advance!

dkozloski
07-28-07, 01:58 PM
Old fuddy duddies like me who are the STS target market don't like strong bass.

dkozloski
07-28-07, 03:23 PM
In this locality, if your sound system can be heard 50 feet from your car you are subject to a written citation.

Force-1
07-28-07, 03:24 PM
I think the bass is more than adequate; however, I'm not one of those people that like to shake the area around me and annoy passengers in adjacent cars either.

Cajonkev
07-28-07, 04:42 PM
I'll take all the Bass I can get...

What I don't finish I'll stick in the garage freezer for later...:excited:

dkozloski
07-28-07, 05:02 PM
I'll take all the Bass I can get...

What I don't finish I'll stick in the garage freezer for later...:excited:
I'm a halibut man myself. Breaded and deep fried with tartar sauce. It's hard to beat.

z06bigbird
07-28-07, 06:28 PM
Great for the arteries!! Add a little butter; cardiologists call butter white death.

Hefner
07-28-07, 09:50 PM
It may just be me, but the bass in my 06 STS is very lacking ... For such an expensive option radio I would figure it would give out amazing bass considering it is DD/DTS as well. Is there an easy way to add a sub to the stock system? My Infiniti had a line-out adapter that plugged into the auxilary jack in the back of the head unit (not high-level, those suck) and gave a clean signal to add an auxilary subwoofer. I don't want to go crazy like the 2 Alpine Type R with MB Quart 1000wrms amp (still in my garage if anyone wants to make a bid..), but I would like something sealed 10" or so 100wrms - 200wrms for CLEAN bass. I don't want to just start tearing stuff apart but the lack of bass in such an expensive car is ridiculous.

Thanks for your help in advance!

I agree nguyendot. I have the 2005 1SG AWD and I would like to replace all of the speakers and amps. My previous car also had two sealed JL Audio 10W6 subwoofers and MB Quart separates on all four coroners. The stock speakers in the STS can't touch that sound quality.

I would have rather not gone with a stock radio, but that's what came with the STS package. Has anyone else looked into replacing the speakers and amps in the system that came with the 1SG.

My STS deserves better sound!

MARKVIII
07-29-07, 12:24 PM
i being in my mid-forties think the 15 speaker bose system is more then adequate. i used to be one of those guys that pulled out the stock sound system and replaced it with upgraded speakers etc. now because maybe i am getting older think the system is real clean with rich sound. i am not a bass man myself. i prefer the high's and mid-range sound and my musical taste compliments this system.

Heavy_Metal
07-29-07, 07:14 PM
It's not just the bass lacking... I agree that the 15 speaker bose system is more than adequate for most people's wants and needs, but I am into audiophile quality sound in my car. Bose does not make products that can compete with the high end car audio speakers and amps.

I am interested to learn of anyones experience with replacing the speakers and amps in the STS 1SG. My concern is that high end speakers and amps may just emphasize any problems with the receiver/CD/digital processor. I assume I can't change the receiver/CD/digital processor.

I also think too much of the sound comes from the dash and not enough from door speakers, so I would also like to know if the receiver has a crossover network/digital filter that would prevent putting full range speakers in the doors and increasing the gain on those.

Thanks in advance for any technical information about upgrading the audio system on my 2005 STS 1SG AWD.

bigdog9586
07-29-07, 08:33 PM
Me, I'm glad my STS is bass lacking. I don't want that fish smell in my car no matter what. I also think the BASE in my Bose is fine with me. Of course just being able to hear is fine with me since I wear 2 hearing aids and I think to loud of music in my younger years was a small help.

AllWheelEric
07-29-07, 09:24 PM
I also miss the bass in this car. I don't have a cello in it, either.

Seriously, I do wish it had better deep bass. No, I don't want anyone to hear it but me. I don't need 15 speakers. 4 good ones with a strong sub would be fine.

dkozloski
07-29-07, 10:20 PM
If you want a strong sub go to Quiznos.

Benjamin Simon
07-29-07, 10:49 PM
I think the fine is fine, but I still put two subs in the trunk. A pair of MTX 12s. More than I ever would need. I have no reason to allow dem gangstas to bump to my hiphop.

Force-1
07-29-07, 10:55 PM
Me, I'm glad my STS is bass lacking. I don't want that fish smell in my car no matter what. I also think the BASE in my Bose is fine with me. Of course just being able to hear is fine with me since I wear 2 hearing aids and I think to loud of music in my younger years was a small help.

Bass:
1. low in pitch; of the lowest pitch or range: a bass voice; a bass instrument.
2. of or pertaining to the lowest part in harmonic music.

dkozloski
07-29-07, 11:23 PM
Bass:
1. low in pitch; of the lowest pitch or range: a bass voice; a bass instrument.
2. of or pertaining to the lowest part in harmonic music.
Picture aboriginies beatin' on a hollow log.

nguyendot
07-30-07, 02:14 AM
Both Infiniti's that my family have owned are aimed at about the same market as my STS, yet both put out significantly more bass with what seems like the same subwoofer. My Infiniti only had 7 (6+sub) but it seems it had better bass response and output. Even my moms Grand Prix GT with a Monsoon (stock) system has better/clearer bass. I would expect such an expensive "high quality" system that supports a discrete channel of bass for Dolby Digital and DTS to have more than enough power to push an equivalent amount of bass as treble/midrange.

So back to the question, how can I get some more bass out of this thing without replacing the stereo? Is there a line-out option (not speaker/high level)?

Jesda
07-30-07, 08:47 AM
You could get a second sub for the trunk.

nguyendot
07-30-07, 11:44 PM
You could get a second sub for the trunk.

Does the factory radio have a line-out option for a second sub?

jhelms
07-31-07, 09:05 AM
What size is the factory sub? Can it just be replaced? I'm guessing not as the Bose systems I've had in the past have been pretty self contained, in our Yukon we added a JL10W3 stealthbox and amp, and I think we had to do a line level converter also with that install...

jgrade
07-31-07, 09:24 AM
I agree the bass is lacking but what do you expect from a free air woofer? I think the problem starts with the lack of power. The stock head is WAY underpowered. My work around (which has it's own issues) is to increase the "volume" of the tracks when burning MP3's. I plan to add an old xPlod amp to the woofer to see if I can get a little kick without having to replace it. Anyone know how many ohms the sub is? This amp is stable to 2 ohms mono.

Bee iLL
08-07-07, 07:01 AM
This was my answer to the lack of bass. 2 10" W7 JL Audio subs powered by a 1000/1 JL Audio amp. Custom box. Bass knob installed in the dash so I can turn down the bass when I don't want it (or depending on who is in the car) or really crank it up when I'm in the mood. Here are some pics of the subs.

Lifer
08-07-07, 08:53 AM
This was my answer to the lack of bass. 2 10" W7 JL Audio subs powered by a 1000/1 JL Audio amp. Custom box. Bass knob installed in the dash so I can turn down the bass when I don't want it (or depending on who is in the car) or really crank it up when I'm in the mood. Here are some pics of the subs.

I enjoyed the pictures, but I am challanged when it comes to the audiophile stuff. Could you explain more about the connections to the audio amp and submit more pictures, including the inside bass knob?

Thanks. :highfive:

ssstealth
08-07-07, 09:34 PM
I was in complete agreement until I loaded a different source disc into the system. It seems to be very dependant on the signal in to establish a signal out. I learned this by playing a ZZ-Top DVD of their music videos. When I loaded it and then set the DVD settings menu to the DTS option, the bass absolutely blew me away!!! It was entirely different that from other sources. The good news is that it can be done but I have no idea how to adjust the unit to do a better job while playing XM or CD sources.

tedasaurus
08-07-07, 10:30 PM
It appears to be the signal and not the components. XM sound sucks always, FM is actually better with tolerable bass on some stations. Some CD's and some DVD's do great but others do not. But you can get decent bass sometimes from some sources but not all. It appears to be an issue with the source/signal and not entirely the physical pieces of the system.

Bee iLL
08-08-07, 01:10 PM
Try setting the sound scheme to "center point" for the different sources. I beleive it defaults to plain stereo which doesn't use all the speakers. Before I had my subs this helped out a lot. You have to set it up for each source (XM, CD\DVD, FM\AM). It was a while ago I set it, but i believe you access this option by pushing the button with the Music Note on it. I don't know why your XM sucked, but mine works in surround sound, and sounds way better than FM. Hope that helps some of you.

I'll upload some pics of the bass knob after work. Can't do on the wiring though, I have it all nicely cut and tucked away, and I would have to remove the cover board... It's a normal setup though. Car Power/Ground wire to CAP. CAP power/ground to Amp. I then just took the signal cables off the stock sub, attached some RCA ends, and plugged into my amp (You have to make sure the amp supports high voltage input..most sub amps only support pre-amp (low voltage) inputs.). I then installed a "digital to 12v" convertor for my remote (turn on) wire, which i tapped off the stock amp. I then ran the line for my bass knob, and installed into my dash. OH yeah, I also had to install a relay to completely kill power to amp once car was turned off. The car seems to do a check on the system for about 30 seconds after turning off the car, and sends out a signal every few seconds which was causing a poping noise. Relay fixed that.

Bee iLL
08-08-07, 05:38 PM
Here are the pics for my bass knob. Damn... These pictures really bring out that dust on the black dash... Time to clean it... again...

tedasaurus
08-08-07, 11:54 PM
^Nice job! Will try center point, but each time I have (many) it sounds far, far worse than normal.

stockup
08-09-07, 04:03 AM
I have a Bose Gold Series that is complete with all the speakers and amps and ofc the head unit. all the speakers work with the 1 ohm system. I was gonna put it in my seville, but seems like a lot of work. I was hoping I could just put in the head unit and the speakers, but when I posed the question, no one seems to know if I could do that, so I am hoping just to sell it all. It does have the CD and the cassette.

Dan

Bee iLL
08-09-07, 06:45 AM
^Nice job! Will try center point, but each time I have (many) it sounds far, far worse than normal.

Oh yea, I do have the 15-speaker bose studio surround system in my V (comes standard), but not sure if that is a standard option on Non-V STS's. There might not be much you can do with the settings if you don't have the "premium" sound system installed. Speakers will only put out what they are designed to.

You can also turn up the bass from the same screen (press the music note button). It doesn't say bass or treble, it just has the symbols for both. But I actually had turned my bass one notch under full, and bumped the treble up one notch from the middle... At least from what I can remember. I have it set differently now because of the subs.

nguyendot
08-10-07, 01:26 AM
I wouldn't mind adding a small sub/box to the trunk, but this time I want it really small. My last box was 4+ cubic feet and it took up quite a bit of the trunk. I want maybe 1 10" subwoofer with 100-200wrms to add to the bass, nothing crazy anymore as I have to actually use the trunk now! I would prefer a pre-out level hook up not a high level one for better sq.

Bee iLL
08-10-07, 10:15 AM
If you are using the stock head unit, you will need to install some type of line-out converter before the stock amp to get pre-outs. Even then, with all my past systems, I have never had good sound quality from a line-out converter. If you get a good quality amp that can convert the high-level signal to a low-level signal, you shouldn't be able to notice a difference. My friend has the same setup I do (subs/amp), but with an aftermarket head unit, and neither of us could notice a difference, and even liked the sound in my Cadillac better... Though the 15 speaker stock system probably had a lot to do with that. I would definitely recommend going with JL Audio.

MARKVIII
08-10-07, 10:31 AM
totally idiotic to screw with this great bose system.

jgrade
08-10-07, 11:13 AM
totally idiotic to screw with this great bose system.

Thanks for your input. Very helpful.

The stock Bose is not great, it's good at best. Slow changer, horrible loading/ejecting mechanism, unbearably slow MP3 loading, barely acceptable amp, free air woofer, slow "soft control" response, etc etc.

Line level converters are not going to give you the sound you want. There was a schematic posted by GMGeek a while back (may be in the audio forum), and if I remember correctly had a line out connection to the amp that may be tapped. Although, if you are only looking for bass then a line converter may work. The lower Hz are not that critical to be reproduced accurately, (check the frequency range of the converter)

MARKVIII
08-10-07, 12:25 PM
every review i read about this car says that the bose system is just short of the marc levinson in the lexus. i do agree about the cd mechanism..it sucks. i mean everything can be improved if your willing to spend the money. as for me it sounds just fine. i hate heavy deep booming base. but to each there own.

nguyendot
08-24-07, 01:40 AM
I like tight accurate bass, which a free air subwoofer suffers at. Sealed subwoofers generally have much tighter bass and with a supplementary one it will sound better in my opinion.

Also, is there not a line out option with an adapter? My Bose system in my I30t had a line out auxilary port that you only had to get a harness for, no high to low conversion (so no loss of quality).