: p0300 Engine Misfire

RazorSpikes
07-27-07, 08:44 PM
About a month ago my belt tensioner started squeaking on my '00 STS. After spraying it for a few days with wd-40 the noise gradually went away. Today my car started running really rough. Then the check engine light starts blinking. I pulled the code P0300 (Engine Misfire). Could a bad belt tensioner cause this or should I check the plugs or something else? :rant2:

AJxtcman
07-27-07, 08:47 PM
About a month ago my belt tensioner started squeaking on my '00 STS. After spraying it for a few days with wd-40 the noise gradually went away. Today my car started running really rough. Then the check engine light starts blinking. I pulled the code P0300 (Engine Misfire). Could a bad belt tensioner cause this or should I check the plugs or something else? :rant2:

Yes it can cause a P0300, but it won't be your problem.

AJxtcman
07-27-07, 08:52 PM
I have seen an Auto Transfer Case cause a P0300, but never a belt tensioner. The Tensioner would cause the DTC to set, but the engine would run fine with out a misfire

RazorSpikes
07-27-07, 10:19 PM
I have seen an Auto Transfer Case cause a P0300, but never a belt tensioner. The Tensioner would cause the DTC to set, but the engine would run fine with out a misfire

Would you agree that I should change the plugs or coil pack?

dkozloski
07-27-07, 10:34 PM
The belt tensioner causes a POOP300. That's kinda like a blivvet.

fubar569
07-27-07, 11:52 PM

roflcopter!!!! :thepan::thumbsup:

RazorSpikes
07-28-07, 03:43 AM
i changed the plugs with oe ac delco but the check engine light is still on and it is still running rough. What's causing the engine misfire?

dkozloski
07-28-07, 04:21 AM
Let's see if we have this right. You own two Cadillacs and know little or nothing about machinery or cars and are unwilling to take a car with potentially a serious and expensive problem to a real mechanic. A misfiring car can quickly ruin a catalytic convertor. Penny wise and pound foolish.

clarkz71
07-28-07, 06:37 AM
i changed the plugs with oe ac delco but the check engine light is still on and it is still running rough. What's causing the engine misfire?

Do you have a FSM? If not I would get one. It will have a trouble shooting
tree to follow for that code. It could be the coil pack or an injector problem.
If you just want to try replacing something, replace both coil packs.
If that doesn't fix it you can always sell the old ones on e-bay.

RazorSpikes
07-28-07, 08:19 AM
Let's see if we have this right. You own two Cadillacs and know little or nothing about machinery or cars and are unwilling to take a car with potentially a serious and expensive problem to a real mechanic. A misfiring car can quickly ruin a catalytic convertor. Penny wise and pound foolish.

My CTS hasn't had a problem since I bought it and its still under warranty. I just bought the STS a few months ago and you are right I don't know a whole lot about cars but I learn quick. I read that a few people eliminated the engine misfire by changing the spark plugs so for a mear $50 investment with the opportunity to learn I thought I'd give it a try. I didn't realize that this problem was as serious of a matter as you describe so I will have it checked by one of the pro's.

AJxtcman
07-28-07, 11:01 AM
Would you agree that I should change the plugs or coil pack?

coil pack are the norm. If it has about 90k+ change the plugs.

AJxtcman
07-28-07, 11:19 AM

Do you understand how the PCM monitors for misfires?
Drive belts, alternators, TCC systems can cause false misfires.

dkozloski
07-28-07, 05:36 PM
The PCM computes the projected position of the next and successive tachometer pulses. Anything that can disturb the engine rotation and displace the pulse can appear to be a misfire. My Ford Ranger will detect hard transmission shifts as misfires. A belt tensioner would have to be practically locking up with the bearings jumping over one another to be detected as misfires. I don't see one that can be quieted by squirting WD-40 on it as being in this bad of a condition.

RazorSpikes
07-28-07, 06:09 PM
Paid Firestone $99 for a diagnostic test. The results were Bank 2 Coil 4 was dead. He quoted me $399 for a new coil plus $50 to install it. He also recommended I get a fuel system tune up for another $200 because my injectors may be clogged. The total was like $675. After replacing the plugs last night I think I can do the coil but what about the fuel system. Any tips?

AJxtcman
07-29-07, 11:15 AM
The PCM computes the projected position of the next and successive tachometer pulses. Anything that can disturb the engine rotation and displace the pulse can appear to be a misfire. My Ford Ranger will detect hard transmission shifts as misfires. A belt tensioner would have to be practically locking up with the bearings jumping over one another to be detected as misfires. I don't see one that can be quieted by squirting WD-40 on it as being in this bad of a condition.

I guess you will get a lession on misfire detection from a young one.

RazorSpikes
08-01-07, 06:18 AM
I intalled the new coil and all is good again. Thanks guyz!